SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Hopefully he doesn't get drafted by the new york rangers!

I'm for him not being drafted by any team in the state of New York. Still amazed that Garth Snow still has a job with the Islanders with all of the playoff success they've had the past few years. Hmmm.....last appearance....2007. I give the guy credit for his first year on the job, but since that first year the Isles haven't been over five hundred, and he's pissed off his fair share of people around the hockey world.

*EDIT*

He can be drafted by Buffalo. Lot of good former college hockey guys on that squad.

For anyone in the Twin Cities area, the Lincoln Stars are having their invite camp this weekend at Ridder Arena. If they run it similar to Sioux Falls and Fargo, Luke Johnson and Paul LaDue should be there since it would include current players. I couldn't find a schedule anywhere online, but they usually run scrimmages and games all day. I'll probably be down there on either Saturday/Sunday or possibly both.

For anyone in the Twin Cities area, the Lincoln Stars are having their invite camp this weekend at Ridder Arena. If they run it similar to Sioux Falls and Fargo, Luke Johnson and Paul LaDue should be there since it would include current players. I couldn't find a schedule anywhere online, but they usually run scrimmages and games all day. I'll probably be down there on either Saturday/Sunday or possibly both.

Yeah I was thinking of checking it out.

• 3 weeks later...

GF Herald article: UND defenseman expected to go high in the NHL draft

Schmaltz interviewed with 24 of 30 NHL teams at the NHL Combine last month. He said almost all of the teams asked if he would be attending UND or if he would bolt to the Ontario Hockey League after the draft, like UND recruit J.T. Miller did a year ago.

ā€œI just told them honestly that I am 100 percent to UND,ā€ Schmaltz said. ā€œThey were fine with that. Theyā€™re happy Iā€™m sticking with my commitment.ā€

Schmaltz said heā€™s looking forward to working with new UND assistant coach Brad Berry and arriving on the campus where his father and two uncles played college football.

ā€œItā€™s an unbelievable atmosphere,ā€ he said.

Congrats to Jordan on being drafted by the Blues and even though he has strongly insisted how committed he is to UND and I have believed him it's nice to have him go to a team that has had success with college kids and you know won't try to pressure him to go play major juniors.

More reasons to cheer for the Blues. Oshie....check....Backes....check....Elliott....check.......

Biased college hockey fan here...

Add Jaden Schwartz to that. Gotta love the college flavor of the Blues.

Nothing to really do with the topic, but Brad posted a list of UND's first rounders the past ten years. Two names stuck out to me. Joe Finley going to the caps at 27, and Brian Lee going to Ottawa at 9.....Not sure those were the greatest first round picks in the history of those organizations. Still can't believe that lee went 9th.....wow.

I know the injury hurt big Joe quite a bit, but hopefully he can get up with the Sabres for a longer stretch next season.

Nothing to really do with the topic, but Brad posted a list of UND's first rounders the past ten years. Two names stuck out to me. Joe Finley going to the caps at 27, and Brian Lee going to Ottawa at 9.....Not sure those were the greatest first round picks in the history of those organizations. Still can't believe that lee went 9th.....wow.

I know the injury hurt big Joe quite a bit, but hopefully he can get up with the Sabres for a longer stretch next season.

Lee had a lot of hype on him leading up to his draft. While he hasn't lived up to a 9th overall pick so far, he recent play, getting a new opportunity with Tampa Bay, was impressive. He doesn't have a high ceiling on improving too much anymore, however he's def. played in a lot of games in the NHL so far. We'll see how he does with Tampa Bay this year. He had a tough card dealt to him with the Sens, but to the Sens credit, Lee didn't show too much on the table. He's your rarest form of a puck moving D-man, nothing flashy whatsoever, with a less than stellar shot on the blue line. His only role really, is to be a shut down D-men.

Coming down the stairs, to be one of the first to congratulate him,

is a representative of the University of North Dakota.

Well done.

Good catch, but two came down the stairs, one of whom will be working closely with Jordan over the next few years.