SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Just saw an interesting yet perplexing tweet post from Luke Voltin and I quote "Don't even want to play hockey anymore #hatethissport".

I am not sure if this is properly taken into context or if this is a joke or if his twitter account was hacked. I hope he doesn't feel that way.

Well, his team has lost their last six games, including one they lost 7-0 and another where they gave up a couple 2 goal leads only to lose in a shootout. How would you be feeling right now if you were 16? Also keeping in mind that this is a kid not used to losing considering he came from Hill-Murray. I'm sure it's very frustrating.

NHL.com has 3 first round mock draft's posted. Steve Hoffner has Jordan Schmaltz going 23rd overall to the Flyer's and Adam Kimelman has him going 28th overall to the Blues'. Former recruit Stefan Matteau and Gopher recruit Brayd Skjei are projected by all 3 analysts to go in the first round as well.

Committed Recruits Stats Update:

Clarke Saunders, G (UAH) - 25gp, .906 save %, 3.73 gaa, 2-21-1 record

Zane Gothberg, G (Fargo/USHL) - 28gp, .912 save %, 2.48 gaa, 15-10-3 record

Jordan Schmaltz, D (Green Bay/USHL) - 25gp, 6g-13a-19p

Miles Koules, F (USA U18) - 38gp, 4g-11a-15p

Bryn Chyzyk, F (Fargo/USHL) - 39gp, 21g-14a-35p

Geoff Crisfield, D (Vernon/BCHL) - 46gp, 0g-7a-7p (leads team with 72 PIM)

Luke Johnson, F (Lincoln/USHL) - 33gp, 11g-20a-31p

Drake Caggiula, F (Stouffville/OJHL) - 23gp, 10g-20a-30p

Jack Rowe, F (Cedar Rapids/USHL) - 26gp, 2g-13a-15p

Luke Voltin, F (Des Moines/USHL) - 4gp, 0g-0a-0p

Adam Tambellini, F (Vernon/BCHL) - 44gp, 22g-22a-44p

Paul LaDue, D (Lincoln/USHL) - 33gp, 6g-14a-20p

Charlie Pelnik, D (SSM U16) - 38gp, 3g-7a-10p

Keaton Thompson, D (USA U17) - 33gp, 4g-10a-14p

Nick Schmaltz, F (USA) - 6gp, 2g-4a-6p

Chris Wilkie, F (Omaha U16) - 18gp, 22g-26a-48p

Haven't heard anything further about Voltin...hopefully he sticks with hockey and joins the Sioux in a couple years. Probably been a tough time for him lately with the NTDP issue and now joining a struggling team in the USHL.

I didn't know that. He is only 16. Seems so young.

In all honesty, it would certainly be nice to land Jones especially after losing two blue-chip recruits to the CHL recently but how much will he help if he is a one and done. I don't think a 17 year-old freshman d-man will be all that great of a benefit even though he is a potential high first round pick. It would certainly be nice to have a high profile guy spurn the CHL for UND but to me it is only worth while if he plays at least 2 years of college. Either way I think it's a moot point since I think he is headed to the CHL.

In all honesty, it would certainly be nice to land Jones especially after losing two blue-chip recruits to the CHL recently but how much will he help if he is a one and done. I don't think a 17 year-old freshman d-man will be all that great of a benefit even though he is a potential high first round pick. It would certainly be nice to have a high profile guy spurn the CHL for UND but to me it is only worth while if he plays at least 2 years of college. Either way I think it's a moot point since I think he is headed to the CHL.

Toews did just fine as a 17 year old. If he comes in at 18 years old we might only get him for 1 year insted of 2

Toews played only 2 years here and now he is a walking advertisement and recruitment tool for UND hockey. Seth Jones, as of right now, has a very good chance of being drafted higher than Toews and being an extremely good player in the NHL. You always have to recruit a player like that, even if it is only for one year. The bright side is, it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that at maximum he will only play two years of college so the coaches can compensate for that early departure ahead of time.

nope ....he's 17

He is 17 right now, but iluvdebbies is right, that would make him 18 at the start of the 2012-2013 season. Most students turn 18 during their senior year of high school, he would be during his freshman year of college, which would be next year, so he did accelerate.

He is 17 right now, but iluvdebbies is right, that would make him 18 at the start of the 2012-2013 season. Most students turn 18 during their senior year of high school, he would be during his freshman year of college, which would be next year, so he did accelerate.

Not saying he didn't accelerate, but just pointing out that he's not really THAT young compared to Toews, who played his entire freshman season at 17. I think Simpson came in as a 17yo as well, so it's not unprecedented. Jones wouldn't play a game at age 17.

I don't think it really matters when you turn 18 your senior year of high school, the fact of the matter is that any player that can play their Senior year of high school (Toews, Finley, SImpson) is very impressive. It is very rare for a freshman to not play Juniors before playing college hockey let alone come in a year before he even graduates.

I don't think it really matters when you turn 18 your senior year of high school, the fact of the matter is that any player that can play their Senior year of high school (Toews, Finley, SImpson) is very impressive. It is very rare for a freshman to not play Juniors before playing college hockey let alone come in a year before he even graduates.

I wish Minnesota and Lucia believed in that philosophy

I wish Minnesota and Lucia believed in that philosophy

It seems they are starting to move away from that philosophy, look at this year's freshman class, every single one of them played at a level higher than high school for at least one year with the exception of Rau, and he played in the playoff's for Sioux Falls and showed he didn't need a year of Junior. Same goes for next year as well, all the incoming recruits will have played at a level higher than High School with the exception of Kloos who, if I remember right, isn't a guarantee to come next year?

It seems they are starting to move away from that philosophy, look at this year's freshman class, every single one of them played at a level higher than high school for at least one year with the exception of Rau, and he played in the playoff's for Sioux Falls and showed he didn't need a year of Junior. Same goes for next year as well, all the incoming recruits will have played at a level higher than High School with the exception of Kloos who, if I remember right, isn't a guarantee to come next year?

I sure hope so haha. The straight out of high school thing takes a lot of transition time.

Kloos has played a few games for Waterloo though... just as an FYI.

I sure hope so haha. The straight out of high school thing takes a lot of transition time.

I agree, even players with multiple years of Junior hockey play have a transition time. Take this year for example, Mark MacMillan and Seth Ambroz stepped into college hockey with multiple years Junior experience and, in my opinion, haven't produced as much as I thought they would. Imagine where they would be at if they had been playing in HS hockey last year instead of Junior?

Kloos has played a few games for Waterloo though... just as an FYI.

Thanks, I did not know that. Does anyone know if he plans on playing for them again after his HS season ends? Great player, just needs to get used to the more physical game in college hockey and a year in the USHL should do that for him.

I agree, even players with multiple years of Junior hockey play have a transition time. Take this year for example, Mark MacMillan and Seth Ambroz stepped into college hockey with multiple years Junior experience and, in my opinion, haven't produced as much as I thought they would. Imagine where they would be at if they had been playing in HS hockey last year instead of Junior?

Ambroz took A LOT of stupid penalties in the first half of the year but has been very good in the second half. I was surprised, I wanted him benched for the year because all he did was hurt the team at the beginning but he's coming along nice now.

Thought I would move the Lemieux news to the Committed Recruits thread

Via GF Herald - Brendan Lemieux commits for 2014

Brendan Lemieux’s father, Claude, played in the NHL for 21 years, winning four Stanley Cups with three different teams.

“I’ve been in NHL dressing rooms,” Brendan says. “There’s not much that compares to North Dakota.”

“I visited early last month and the atmosphere was through the roof,” said Lemieux, who is currently playing in Toronto but will move to the Green Bay Gamblers in the United States Hockey League next season.

Although Claude played Canadian major juniors, Brendan said he decided on the NCAA route after visiting quite a few Ontario Hockey League teams.

“I think the lifestyle and everything about the NCAA – the style of hockey, the atmosphere, the fans – suits me,” Brendan said. “Being around NHL locker rooms, it seemed that the guys respected players who went the extra mile, like Douglas Murray in San Jose . . . the professional hockey players with an education.