SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Miller wants bright lights of New York in his future

I thought this was interesting...

I don't watch as much college hockey as some, pretty much just UND games, but I don't see a lot of taking people's heads off.

Probably thinks that people get their heads taken off due to the fact that he got lit up mulitple times when he came and played at the Ralph.

Haven't many of us complained of similar things with the officiating in the WCHA? Guys getting held and impeded, inconsistent discipline for guys who hit dangerously?

I think he's overblowing the situation trying to justify his position, but at the same time what he's saying isn't all that far off what many fans have been saying for years.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Miles Koules didn't make the U-18 team for the World Championships, he has been demoted to the U-17 team for a while now. Anyone know what is up with this kid? At the beginning of the year he was looked at as a Top 4 round draft pick, no he probably won't get drafted. He can't even stick on what is a fairly weak U-18 team this year. I wonder if he still comes in next year. To me it looks like he might need a year in the USHL before coming in, which would be fine if no one leaves early this off season.

Miles Koules didn't make the U-18 team for the World Championships, he has been demoted to the U-17 team for a while now. Anyone know what is up with this kid? At the beginning of the year he was looked at as a Top 4 round draft pick, no he probably won't get drafted. He can't even stick on what is a fairly weak U-18 team this year. I wonder if he still comes in next year. To me it looks like he might need a year in the USHL before coming in, which would be fine if no one leaves early this off season.

Have you seen him play this year? If not, I'm not sure anyone here is in a position to judge. I heard an opinion about him being "misused" by the NTDP. Keep in mind he doesn't turn 18 until this summer, so he is still pretty young.

Have you seen him play this year? If not, I'm not sure anyone here is in a position to judge. I heard an opinion about him being "misused" by the NTDP. Keep in mind he doesn't turn 18 until this summer, so he is still pretty young.

I have not seen him play, all I am going off of is report's of people who have seen him play. It just worries me that he has been demoted to the U-17 team when he is supposed to be a high end recruit.

I have not seen him play, all I am going off of is report's of people who have seen him play. It just worries me that he has been demoted to the U-17 team when he is supposed to be a high end recruit.

He was demoted with two others, one of whom is a BC recruit. He isnt high end in the way Schmaltz is high end. He was demoted because the U18s sucked at an international tournament and they are trying to find the solution as to why. Miles will be a good college player, whether he is drafted or not. I don't tend to worry until they get to campus. The coaches know what they are doing. He will be here in the fall unless you really want the WHL to take him away, and I don't, personally.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the demotion. I would be concerned if he wasn't playing well with the U17 team, and I have seen his name in the scoring column while playing for them. Let's remember, it's only a one year age difference, and there are a lot of great players on both teams. Remember, Rocco moved up to play for the U18 team and led the team in scoring, so it might be a matter of bringing up some very talented players. I am interested to know if Jack Rowe with Cedar Rapids is injured though. Haven't seen his name in the lineup for quite sometime now.

The OHL Draft is tomorrow and a couple Sioux recruits are on the radar

I think the most interesting player to keep an eye on might be North Dakota recruit Nick Schmaltz. The Windsor Spitfires already hold the rights to his older brother Jordan, and have expressed a strong interest in signing him. Both Schmaltzes have seemed pretty committed to making it to North Dakota, but Windsor might view the opportunity for the brothers to play together as a selling point. After a down year, the Spitfires are looking to reload, and already seem likely to steal at least one NCAA-committed NHL Draft pick this summer. Schmaltz might be worth the risk, especially if he can be picked in a later round.

The Sioux will also have to worry about recruit Brendan Lemieux, who is the only '96 from Canada to have committed to a college so far. I haven't heard anything one way or the other on Lemieux, so hopefully his name doesn't show up on the draft board for a while on Saturday.

http://www.westernco...t-day-in-sports

It will always be a battle with the CHL for our recruits, but I feel like over the last year or two UND has had to deal with this issue more than other DI schools. I guess it speaks volumes about the type of talent we have in our recruiting pool.

I imagine Windsor will be all over Jordan Schmaltz this summer, especially after the draft. It also sounds like Medicine Hat is strongly pushing for Miles Koules. Hopefully UND can keep them both.

...I imagine Windsor will be all over Jordan Schmaltz this summer...,

I could be wrong but I was thinking that Windsor traded away Jordan's rights for Pat Sieloff (Miami commit)

Edit: I am wrong, Sieloff was part of the Jack Campbell trade.

Edited by patatoe

I actually think he has a point to some degree with no fighting and tough guys behind the facemask. But not a fan of his timing in leaving UND however.

Yep, to quote my brother-in-law Andy Brink who played for the hated Gophers, "I can mouth off to the biggest guy on the ice because I know that I don't have to fight." Same with dirty hits or with smack talk, a player can do just about anything and know that they don't have to answer the bell. All you have to do is look at last night's game and when the game got out of hand one of the Gophers crossed checked a Eagle with a vicious high stick, that play should have resulted in a game misconduct.

Yep, to quote my brother-in-law Andy Brink who played for the hated Gophers, "I can mouth off to the biggest guy on the ice because I know that I don't have to fight." Same with dirty hits or with smack talk, a player can do just about anything and know that they don't have to answer the bell. All you have to do is look at last night's game and when the game got out of hand one of the Gophers crossed checked a Eagle with a vicious high stick, that play should have resulted in a game misconduct.

Why am I thinking that Andy Brink is a great golfer? Or am thinking of someone else?

He is a very good golfer and played golf for the UMN. Now he runs a hockey school with Dave Snuggerud. Fighting Sioux defenseman Nick Mattson attended his school.

Thanks Goon. Isn't great better than very good? Snuggerud, my favorite all-time Gopher. I did get to see him play once when he was with Buffalo. Funny but when you said Andy Brink I thought of golf before hockey.

I doubt we see any of the three

I'm not that pessimistic in regards to the Schmaltz's. Jordan has already spurned multiple attempts by Windsor to have him renege on his commitment to UND. I like the chances of Jordan showing up because of family history with UND.

I'm not that pessimistic in regards to the Schmaltz's. Jordan has already spurned multiple attempts by Windsor to have him renege on his commitment to UND. I like the chances of Jordan showing up because of family history with UND.

And... he loves the Red Pepper!

I'm telling you. That place is a vastly underrated recruiting tool. :D

• Upvote 1

I believe Schmaltz will report to Grand Forks. I do have my doubts about Lemieux despite the tweets. A lot can change in the next 2 years. For example, maybe his experience in Green Bay won't be positive. Perhaps his priorities change. Perhaps he gets drafted a year from now and the NHL team wants him to go to the MJ route.

I'm 85% sold on Nick reporting to Grand Forks. It goes to 95% if Jordan shows up to Grand Forks in the fall. 5% remains in case Jordan is treated poorly at UND (see Lee, Brian). This is unlikely, but anything is possible.

As for Lemieux, I believe there is a 60% chance he comes to Grand Forks.

Had he been drafted in the 8th round or later, I'd make it 80% with Nick but... top 5 rounds isn't good. 1st round is a goner for sure (Michigan State lost a recruit). 2nd round is almost positively gone (UNO may very well lose one) and it gets slightly less likely as the rounds go by but you are never sure until the 8th or 9th round.

I believe Schmaltz will report to Grand Forks. I do have my doubts about Lemieux despite the tweets. A lot can change in the next 2 years. For example, maybe his experience in Green Bay won't be positive. Perhaps his priorities change. Perhaps he gets drafted a year from now and the NHL team wants him to go to the MJ route.

I'm 85% sold on Nick reporting to Grand Forks. It goes to 95% if Jordan shows up to Grand Forks in the fall. 5% remains in case Jordan is treated poorly at UND (see Lee, Brian). This is unlikely, but anything is possible.

As for Lemieux, I believe there is a 60% chance he comes to Grand Forks.

Had he been drafted in the 8th round or later, I'd make it 80% with Nick but... top 5 rounds isn't good. 1st round is a goner for sure (Michigan State lost a recruit). 2nd round is almost positively gone (UNO may very well lose one) and it gets slightly less likely as the rounds go by but you are never sure until the 8th or 9th round.

refresh my memory on Lee, I can remember him not having the greatest time at UND but I can't remember what it was or why? Maybe it had to do with his hitting opposing players with his purse instead of his pads?