SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Tambellini is already a 2013. I read it in an article today. I think Caggiula will be 2013 as well. I'm not sure which one would come with an early departure up front.

I read the same thing. My guess is Caggiula would be brought in first, or else a recruited walk-on.

Wow, we have landed some very impressive recruits for the classes of 2013 and 2014. I'm looking ahead to 2014-2015 and that team is going to be ridiculous. Even without Grimaldi, guys like Rowe, Caggiula, and St. Clair might not even be in the lineup. If we can keep Jordan Schmaltz until his Junior year that team could be amazing.

2014 2015 Who's to look 4 in those years? Any clue

That would be when this year's freshman are Senior's. New guys woiuld be Nick Schmaltz, Miles Koules, Luke Johnson, Luke Voltin, Adam Tambellini, and Chris Wilkie. Each one of those guys are top end recruits. On defense Jordan Schmaltz, Keaton Thompson, and Charlie Pelnik will be the headliners and Paul LaDue will be very good as well coming in as an older freshman.

Nick Schmaltz and Chris Wilkie both lineup as 2014-15 freshmen. Highly regarded recruits who could very well end up in Ann Arbor prior to attending UND. Those are the youngest recruits who have committed thus far. Guys like Caggiula, Tambellini, Voltin, LaDue, Crisfield, L. Johnson, Pelnik, and Thompson (maybe-could be a 2014 fresh as well) would be sophs then. Juniors would be Koules, Chyzyk, Schmaltz, St. Clair etc, seniors=Mattson, O'Donnell, Parks, MacMillan, Gaarder, Pattyn, etc.

Nick Schmaltz and Chris Wilkie both lineup as 2014-15 freshmen. Highly regarded recruits who could very well end up in Ann Arbor prior to attending UND. Those are the youngest recruits who have committed thus far. Guys like Caggiula, Tambellini, Voltin, LaDue, Crisfield, L. Johnson, Pelnik, and Thompson (maybe-could be a 2014 fresh as well) would be sophs then. Juniors would be Koules, Chyzyk, Schmaltz, St. Clair etc, seniors=Mattson, O'Donnell, Parks, MacMillan, Gaarder, Pattyn, etc.

... and Grimaldi will be a Junior, right!! ;)

I thought this was an interesting piece. Not because Roman(Augustive Cloub) Augustoviz from the Star Tribune wrote but because of our coaches comments on the NCAA vs. CHL recruiting battle. http://www.startribu...138450034.html. Why does Roman always call us the team with no nickname. Wait I minute I know he is a fricken homer. In the article he states " The CHL vs. NCAA recruiting battle hasn't affected the Gophers much. They don't recruit Canadian players as much as UND does." The blog post he wrote however refers to two American players,dare i say Miller and Matteau, so go figure.

What a tool. I saw someone comment on the piece and he nailed it on the head.

I think he tries to take a little jab at UND with the Canadian recruitment remark, but as someone pointed out, the joke is on him because the latest players to bail on UND for the CHL, are Americans.

Also, I think it's hilarious that Gopher fans think Hakstol is simply "complaining" and say its nothing more than self-serving interest. They laugh off the idea of NCAA coaches banding together to stand up against the CHL. This is not an issue exclusive to Coach Hakstol and UND. BU, BC, Miami (OH), and Michgan have all been burned by CHL teams within the last year, and the CHL appears to be getting more aggressive in its tactics. I guess it's easy to be complacent when your team hasn't yet been affected.

I think he tries to take a little jab at UND with the Canadian recruitment remark, but as someone pointed out, the joke is on him because the latest players to bail on UND for the CHL, are Americans.

Also, I think it's hilarious that Gopher fans think Hakstol is simply "complaining" and say its nothing more than self-serving interest. They laugh off the idea of NCAA coaches banding together to stand up against the CHL. This is not an issue exclusive to Coach Hakstol and UND. BU, BC, Miami (OH), and Michgan have all been burned by CHL teams within the last year, and the CHL appears to be getting more aggressive in its tactics. I guess it's easy to be complacent when your team hasn't yet been affected.

To your point, it seems like Roman and the Gopher fan base may have their heads buried in the sand.

To your point, it seems like Roman and the Gopher fan base may have their heads buried in the sand.

I think the Minnesota fans have short memories. As there team wasn't very good the last couple of years and the common excuse was early departures. It is not a lot different, the tactics are similar and the result of a hole in the line up are the same. IMO if you can solve the CHL pulling kids out of college programs maybe it would be a stepping stone to getting the NHL to leave kids alone until they are sophmores or juniors.

• Upvote 1

I hate Roman, he knows absolutely nothing about college hockey, he does it because its his job and that's it. I was on his weekly chat a couple weeks ago and I was giving him answers to almost every question because he had no idea.

• Upvote 1

The CHL vs. NCAA recruiting battle hasn't affected the Gophers much. They don't recruit Canadian players as much as UND does." The blog post he wrote however refers to two American players,dare i say Miller and Matteau, so go figure.

It's true that it doesn't or hasn't affected the Gophers as much as UND but his reasoning is wrong. The main reason is that the vast majority of Gopher recruits have grown up watching Gopher hockey and dream to be a part of it. Thats just not true for the majority of the Sioux recruits so when the CHL comes calling it's easier for them to simply change their mind. Had Miller and Matteau grown up in North Dakota following Sioux hockey I bet they would have stuck to their committment.

Even when Peter Mueller de-committed from the U about five years ago and went to Major Juniors he said it was the hardest decision of his life because it meant giving up his dream of playing for the U. I doubt Miller and Matteau felt the same about UND.

The big mistake is thinking Roman cares at all about college hockey, much less the Gophers. He got thrown into doing coverage for the Star Tribune (as well as covering volleyball and the Minnesota Linx). He doesn't make the mistakes because he's a "homer", he makes them because he's rather clueless.

The big mistake is thinking Roman cares at all about college hockey, much less the Gophers. He got thrown into doing coverage for the Star Tribune (as well as covering volleyball and the Minnesota Linx). He doesn't make the mistakes because he's a "homer", he makes them because he's rather clueless.

Yeah, he's an idiot. No question. Not even worth a twitter follow :bigsmile:

I think the Minnesota fans have short memories. As there team wasn't very good the last couple of years and the common excuse was early departures. It is not a lot different, the tactics are similar and the result of a hole in the line up are the same. IMO if you can solve the CHL pulling kids out of college programs maybe it would be a stepping stone to getting the NHL to leave kids alone until they are sophmores or juniors.

Two completely separate issues (CHL and early NHL departures). Early NHL departures really became an issue when the NHL passed its most recent CBA. It made these young players cheaper to sign by implementing a rookie salary cap. And with a team salary cap also implemented, teams needed the cheap talent to round off their rosters. That issue won't go away if the CHL issue is resolved. Gone are the days where 3-4 years out of a blue chip player can be expected.

As for the CHL issue, it is true that the Gophers are less effected. The Gophers recruit mostly in Minnesota, and Minnesota high school players are far less likely to choose the CHL. There are only 7 native Minnesotans playing in the CHL this year, while 180 are playing D1 hockey (see link below).

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/online-edition/kurtt/346-the-state-of-hockey-players.html

• Upvote 1

IMO if you can solve the CHL pulling kids out of college programs maybe it would be a stepping stone to getting the NHL to leave kids alone until they are sophmores or juniors.

The NCAA would need to make some changes to what constitutes amateur status for hockey in order to do this. That's the really big issue re: the kids choosing CHL over NCAA.

Worth noting that there is some talk of Hockey Canada, and therefore the CHL, working towards changing the drafting rules for the NHL in concert with the league itself. Some of the proposed changes would include altering the first round to being the only in which teams can draft 18-year-olds, or the possibility of removing their eligibility at 18 altogether.

There is some talk about the legality of drafting 18-year-olds, a lot of which I am foggy on, but have been doing a bit of looking into. I think it has a bit to do with the money paid back to the CHL and the teams for the players, but I can't be sure.

Another big issue is the blocking of "signing" money, something that is said to happen often for kids wanting to go play in the CHL. Rumours are abound that in the past teams like the London Knights have paid in the six-figures to have certain players come to the OHL, WHL, or QMJHL.

The whole NCAA v. CHL argument is so deep and there are so many problem areas that it's hard to say where you could even begin to start if you wanted to stop the CHL from taking the kids from the college ranks.

As for the CHL issue, it is true that the Gophers are less effected. The Gophers recruit mostly in Minnesota, and Minnesota high school players are far less likely to choose the CHL. There are only 7 native Minnesotans playing in the CHL this year, while 180 are playing D1 hockey (see link below).

http://www.letsplayh...ey-players.html

Go tell that to Halo wearing Hammy over on GPL. He always has a pompous stance on things when it doesn't affect UMTC. :lol:

• Upvote 2

... Roman(Augustive Cloub) Augustoviz from the Star Tribune ... In the article he states " The CHL vs. NCAA recruiting battle hasn't affected the Gophers much. They don't recruit Canadian players as much as UND does."

Please do not feed the one-trick pony. Thank you.