SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

A couple more tidbits from Schlossman on Brendan Lemieux:

It sounds like a lot went into his decision. He said he did plenty of research on OHL teams and visited several of them. Lemieux also said he expects to get drafted by a team this summer, but says heā€™s coming to college.

I thought it was interesting hearing Lemieux talk about how he thought the college guys were the most respected in his dadā€™s NHL dressing rooms.

Lemieux said he had conversations with people at the NTDP, but signed a tender with the Green Bay Gamblers, feeling like that was a better fit. Heā€™ll play two years there with fellow Sioux recruit Nick Schmaltz.

Yes, a lot can change over the next two years, but the fact that he isn't playing for NTDP (as Miller, Matteau and others had) and that he will be in Green Bay will a fellow Sioux recruit might help our cause. Schlossman told Lemieux that Sioux fans would be on edge until he actually arrived on campus.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know why Koules has been playing with the U17 team instead of the U18 team??? He played both USHL games this weekend, while the U18 team played against NCAA school.... Was he demoted?? Anyone have any info?

I am trying to figure this out. I don't think that he could be demoted because at 17, he is ineligible to play for the Under 17 team. I am trying to find the roster of who played UAH this weekend. The games against the USHL teams appears to have a mixture of U17 and U18 players with the majority being U17. I will let you know when I figure out more.

Anyone know why Koules has been playing with the U17 team instead of the U18 team??? He played both USHL games this weekend, while the U18 team played against NCAA school.... Was he demoted?? Anyone have any info?

3 U18 players were demoted. Koules, Nik Olsson and Brendan Silk. Not sure why. I heard they were probably going to demote some guys after their bad showing at the international tournament a few weeks ago. You can be demoted if you're 17. You're just ineligible to play in international tournaments at the U17 level.

3 U18 players were demoted. Koules, Nik Olsson and Brendan Silk. Not sure why. I heard they were probably going to demote some guys after their bad showing at the international tournament a few weeks ago. You can be demoted if you're 17. You're just ineligible to play in international tournaments at the U17 level.

Ahhh, Thank you!

From everything I have seen or heard about Koules appears to be positive. I understand he probably will not be the next Jonny Toews or TJ Oshie but he certainly isn't a bad player either. I wonder if he was just caught in the numbers game or if he truly did warrant this demotion. I still believe he will have a real positive impact on our program and if he can help us land Seth Jones more power to him.

Wowza. Hate to start calling the kid's character out when it may partially be bad blood from the de-commitment, but I've never seen a trend of this kind of malicious/intent to injures racked up by a player over a relatively short time. Spearing between the legs more than once? Yikes! :crazy:

Definitely eases the loss of having him not play here. Have to wonder what kind of a teammate he'd be when the ref's saw a hit on a potential future teammate of his as an obvious intent to injure (St. Clair). He seemed like a huge loss when he de-committed (not unexpectedly) but I guess maybe these things work out. Will be interesting to see if NHL teams de-value him a bit based on overall character question marks and obvious lack of discipline - starting to sound like a bit of a loose cannon out there.

Brendan Lemieux and Nick Schmaltz would have also been at this camp if they wouldn't have turned down the offer earlier in the year. I know for sure Schmaltz turned down a spot on the team, not sure about Lemieux.

Can you imagine if we had someone get a big suspension now as shorthanded as we are?

Fine line between being an enforcer and a goon...this guy looks like he's leaning toward the latter.

Reading up on Matteau's on-ice antics/behavior, it definitely does make me less disappointed that we lost him. Sure UND loves guys who are physical and make big hits. I think if Matteau did come here, he'd be a goon that even Sioux fans wouldn't be able to stomach.

Can you imagine if we had someone get a big suspension now as shorthanded as we are?

Fine line between being an enforcer and a goon...this guy looks like he's leaning toward the latter.

Word is that Kyle Rau will be suspended for Matteau's spearing in Green Bay on grounds that Rau was the voice inside Matteau's head telling him to do it

Word is that Kyle Rau will be suspended for Matteau's spearing in Green Bay on grounds that Rau was the voice inside Matteau's head telling him to do it

Wouldn't surprise me because the NCAA lives by the motto, "We caught Ohio State cheating and we're so angry about it that we're putting Youngstown State on probation." ;):D

Miller wants bright lights of New York in his future

I thought this was interesting...

"In college, everyone can run around and try to take people's head off and not have to deal with it afterward," said Miller. "Here, you have to stay under control and play your game and everything will work out for you."

I don't watch as much college hockey as some, pretty much just UND games, but I don't see a lot of taking people's heads off.