SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

I don't necessarily mean iffy. I have just heard when he committed to UND u can't rule out him going major junior because his dad played major juniors

His dad also said his game was better suited for the college game.

You can't rule anyone out, but I wouldn't call him iffy quite yet. You usually know the guys that are iffy a bit closer to their arrival date, and he won't be here until 2014.

Count me in on the group that thinks this won't affect the Sioux much at all.

We lost Lammy and Nelson. Gaining Chyzyk, Sanderson, maybe Caggiula, and then MacMillan at Xmas break. Not too mention Grimaldi and Rodwell back from injury. This will be a talented forward group with a few skilled players sitting out each game.

Best of luck, Miles.

• Upvote 1

Sioux recruit Chris Wilkie tweeted

@C_Wilkie44 Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be sticking to my committment to UND after playing at NTDP, can't wait to be a Fighting Sioux!

It's nice to see that, but he's still a couple years out. I'll feel a lot better once he is on campus.

Its almost worthless to really think about the "what could be" with some of the early commits. I mean a kid like Keaton Thompson is going to be an unbelievable defenseman by the time that he graduates from high school and comes to UND, but until then he'll be continually pushed by a major junior team for the next two years to sign.

Heck, he could have a bad week of school in Ann Arbor, and decide for himself that he doesn't want to do school and hockey at the same time anymore. We saw it with J.T. Miller. The kid says on the NHL network that he can't wait to play for the Sioux....then....gone in a heartbeat.

Like I said, I'd rather have the Sioux get a 21 year old four year role guy from the SJHL, USHL, BCHL, etc. than a big game name 16 year old kid.

I wish Koules the best...he is a kid. It is going to be a tough row to hoe for a kid like him to make it in the NHL...You have to think that if you are going to struggle to crack the top 6 at UND, the odds of cracking the top 6 in the NHL are slim. Sometimes a player has to face facts and accept a role and get a free education out of the deal...

I suspect (without having seen him play) that he would most likely have gotten stuck in the David Toews situation...

Be grateful that our beloved team has the talent it has, where these kids are worried about playing time.

I wish Koules the best...he is a kid. It is going to be a tough row to hoe for a kid like him to make it in the NHL...You have to think that if you are going to struggle to crack the top 6 at UND, the odds of cracking the top 6 in the NHL are slim. Sometimes a player has to face facts and accept a role and get a free education out of the deal...

I suspect (without having seen him play) that he would most likely have gotten stuck in the David Toews situation...

Be grateful that our beloved team has the talent it has, where these kids are worried about playing time.

After having a day or so to think about this situation, I'd say the thing that pisses me off the most about it is that this is a kid who has been committed since he was 15. And... I don't think I'm that off base to think that there are 1000s of kids across North America that would have killed to be in this kid's spot. And he took up a space of a kid who really wants to be a Sioux. That's what irks me. Kids that decommit are taking away roster spots from kids who really want to be in our program. Yeah, I get people change their mind, but if you're not 110% committed, you shouldn't commit in the first place.

I just can't wish someone well that disses my alma mater. I just can't do that. I'll say good luck, but I won't wish them well.

We are in a good spot for next year not losing much. But a year ago things were a lot different. And you just never know when we're going to have a year like last year.

The flip side here is St. Clair. He committed very young, and even had to sit a year at UND, but is still there.

See, now there's a guy I can respect.

And today, with the kid that decommitted from Miami because he aged out of the NTDP and didn't want to play his draft year in the USHL ... well Kristo and Mattson aged out too , and they aren't doing too bad for themselves either.

People can say nothing fishy is going on in Ann Arbor, but the track record of the last couple years speaks for itself if you ask me. People say most keep their commitments. Well, good for them. They know the meaning of the word. As for the others... perhaps they needed a college education more than anything so they can improve their vocabulary. Okay. End of rant.

A little more on Koules

Signs Koules was on the move began when his rights were traded from the Everett Silvertips to Medicine Hat at the WHL trade deadline in January. FCā€™s Huddle reported that shortly after the deal, Koulesā€™ camp began to have second thoughts about his commitment to North Dakota. On Friday, Koules told North Dakota head coach Dave Hakstol that he would not be joining the team next season.

http://futureconside...tman-chl-bound/

Also, it sounds like Schlossman is hoping to get in touch with Koules on Monday

After having a day or so to think about this situation, I'd say the thing that pisses me off the most about it is that this is a kid who has been committed since he was 15. And... I don't think I'm that off base to think that there are 1000s of kids across North America that would have killed to be in this kid's spot. And he took up a space of a kid who really wants to be a Sioux. That's what irks me. Kids that decommit are taking away roster spots from kids who really want to be in our program. Yeah, I get people change their mind, but if you're not 110% committed, you shouldn't commit in the first place.

I just can't wish someone well that disses my alma mater. I just can't do that. I'll say good luck, but I won't wish them well.

We are in a good spot for next year not losing much. But a year ago things were a lot different. And you just never know when we're going to have a year like last year.

I don't see it as disrespect. He said that if he were to play college hockey anywhere he wanted to do it at UND. Seems respectful to me.

See, now there's a guy I can respect.

And today, with the kid that decommitted from Miami because he aged out of the NTDP and didn't want to play his draft year in the USHL ... well Kristo and Mattson aged out too , and they aren't doing too bad for themselves either.

People can say nothing fishy is going on in Ann Arbor, but the track record of the last couple years speaks for itself if you ask me. People say most keep their commitments. Well, good for them. They know the meaning of the word. As for the others... perhaps they needed a college education more than anything so they can improve their vocabulary. Okay. End of rant.

Not to criticize St. Clair in anyway as I respect what he had to do last year after being screwed by the NCAA, but he was an early CC commit that bailed and committed to UND after playing in Fargo.

I don't see it as disrespect. He said that if he were to play college hockey anywhere he wanted to do it at UND. Seems respectful to me.

I understand kids are committing at 15 these days and some change their minds. That's fine. It's these late changes of heart that irk me. I think that is disrespectful and reflect poorly on the individual.

And on St. Clair, yeah, he decommitted from CC, but he did that two years before even making it to campus. It's these last minute bail-to-the-CHL because I'll get more playing time bails that irk me.

I find it ironic that the CHL touts itself as far superior to college hockey when that's where kids go when they're concerned about playing time in college, or if they aren't getting playing time in college.