SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UNI 10/21/2023

SiouxFan100

On 10/17/2023 at 4:11 PM, Dustin said:

So, for streamers out there, I am assuming you need another steaming app (like Hulu) for watching the regular televised ESPN networks? Or are some of you augmenting a traditional cable/satellite service with ESPN+ streaming?  Just curious what people do.  I am super old school and just have Midco cable subscription, but do sometimes watch available content on a computer (like at work, HAHA) :)

Yes, to stream the espn channels it is necessary to use a streaming service like Sling which is what I use. To get espn+ you must download the ESPN app onto a streaming device like a roku or a smart phone.  Since I live in Colorado I have no choice but to stream ESPN+ or the midcosportsplus app to watch UND sports. 

The easiest way to stream espn3 is with a Sling TV Orange subscription. With other streaming services like hulu and youtube tv, you must go through the rigamarole of enabling the espn app to pull espn3 from the streaming service and imbedding it within espn+ . The best way I found of accomplishing this rather convoluted task is to follow the directions given in a website called "grounded reason".

I'm sure that's all clear as mud, and I'm still not as certain as I'd like to be as to what the viewing options for the UNI game are. 

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Heck I got kind of nervous watching that and I already knew we won. I think the keys will be bend but don't break, and make tackles in space. They are going to complete passes and move up and down the field. Last year they got into red zone multiple times, we held them to two FG's and a missed FG on two of them. We got some key sacks in the red zone, will need to do that again. Our corners opposite of CJ have a year of experience so hopefully that will help. Will be interesting to see if we can pound it on the ground up the middle again. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Heck I got kind of nervous watching that and I already knew we won. I think the keys will be bend but don't break, and make tackles in space. They are going to complete passes and move up and down the field. Last year they got into red zone multiple times, we held them to two FG's and a missed FG on two of them. We got some key sacks in the red zone, will need to do that again. Our corners opposite of CJ have a year of experience so hopefully that will help. Will be interesting to see if we can pound it on the ground up the middle again. 

Basics of football are key, and heck, they are the strength of this team. Run the ball, avoid turnovers, grab a couple on defense, and don’t give up explosive plays. Do that, which I know UND can do if they are mentally prepared and execute well, and then UND can pull it out. 

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Doubtful on the middle run game. According to the 360 guys SDSU struggled up the middle against them.

One of my major takeaways from the 360 pod was that defensively they made zero checks against NDSU. Trust the play call, keep it simple, play fast. 

Tough not to be extremely confident in this group. Momentum of course, but the confidence these players have to have right now. 

At the beginning of the year you saw these two games and sort of cringed. Didn’t appear to be ideal. I love it now. Gives this program an opportunity to double down on itself. Win and you graduate to the next FCS level.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Doubtful on the middle run game. According to the 360 guys SDSU struggled up the middle against them.

Weber ran for 220 on them in the Unidome, Youngstown ran for 150, I feel much better about our stable of RBs and OL than either of those teams. I think we can still can get it done with counters and stretch runs

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is where Tommy's short screen passes come into play.  Basically, works like a run play.  And Tommy, Bo, Red, Isiah, etc. are very good at executing this.  I expect to see a lot of that on Saturday.  

As a whole, I think UND is a bit better than last year and UNI is bit down from last year, so on paper, a 10-14 point win seems about the right call.  The X-factor is playing on the road.  That could easily swing 10-14 points in the other direction, making this essentially a draw.

• Upvote 1

Does this concern anyone?

While UND has no made field goals and only one attempt on the season, the Panthers have one of the country’s best kickers.

Matthew Cook’s two field goals were UNI’s only points last weekend in a lopsided loss to South Dakota State in Brookings.

During that game, Cook became UNI’s No. 2 in all-time school scoring with 367 points. Running back David Johnson (2010-14) is the school record holder with 384 points.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goon said:

Certainly a concern. An area we need to show significant improvement. Hopefully we can be consistent from 40 and in and hit >60% or better on anything longer. That should be the minimum. We should be able to achieve that. Very few extra points would be short from inside 40. So I would say it’s a concern but I wouldn’t hesitate on any FG from 45 on in. Having said that I don’t watch these guys practice so maybe others have better insight. 

• Upvote 2

Hard to find a whole lot wrong with how we played last Saturday.  But, if I had to pick something that we definitely need to improve on is allowing big pass plays when we get the QB scrambling out of the pocket.  Millers biggest pass plays were when we had him on the run.  Now, likely our linebackers moved up to prevent him from scrambling for big yardage, but is still a key to limit those big plays.  I think Day is more of a pocket passer than Miller, but we can't let Day beat us with completions to wide receivers down filed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AJS said:

One of my major takeaways from the 360 pod was that defensively they made zero checks against NDSU. Trust the play call, keep it simple, play fast. 

Tough not to be extremely confident in this group. Momentum of course, but the confidence these players have to have right now. 

At the beginning of the year you saw these two games and sort of cringed. Didn’t appear to be ideal. I love it now. Gives this program an opportunity to double down on itself. Win and you graduate to the next FCS level.

A review of the und/ndsu game I listened to attributed the downfall of ndsu to their quarterback play which made me wonder if they had actually watched the game.  The biggest factor in the outcome of that game was the und offensive line. If we see a repeat performance by that group on Saturday our likelihood of winning is very good.

8 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

This is where Tommy's short screen passes come into play.  Basically, works like a run play.  And Tommy, Bo, Red, Isiah, etc. are very good at executing this.  I expect to see a lot of that on Saturday.  

Is Red healthy? Really can't recall seeing him last week.