SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UNI 10/21/2023

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

family emergency this weekend so he's off the grid for  a bit

"Indiana State is up next at home. Let’s enjoy the season and look forward to the playoffs. This team is representing UND, Grand Forks, and it’s alumni very well and I am proud of them."

Was this something that Kelly tweeted?

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

"Indiana State is up next at home. Let’s enjoy the season and look forward to the playoffs. This team is representing UND, Grand Forks, and it’s alumni very well and I am proud of them."

Was this something that Kelly tweeted?

yes...explained that he didn't know the final score of uni game til the next day or something bc family were scrambling to the hospital and that he is asking for prayers for buck.

didn't know kelly's wife was ryan kasoswki's sister (buck's daughter)

Just now, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Great teams win most games convincingly. Good teams don’t win every game, but they at least make them competitive. 

Absolutely crazy how we go from the beat down of NDSU at the Alerus, to the embarrassment of Saturday on the worst turf I’ve ever seen. 

This kind of up and down play is very concerning. 

agreed....i could take a 27-26 loss or something like that.......but that performance was for the ages.

I missed out on all the discussion during the game...but my goodness I've never seen a team that could squander the positive momentum of beating your arch-rival for the first time in 20 years better than this group!  That was a putrid, unacceptable performance...and there's no excuse!  I don't care about the "trap game" stuff and all that BS...good teams find a way to persevere!

UNI is a tough place to play...it's not that we lost that has me so frustrated...but rather its that we looked COMPLETELY inept in doing so!  Same with SDSU and frankly Boise (we had our moments there at least).  This team has the talent to be great...we've seen it on display against NDSU.  I think that makes this even more frustrating!

Looking forward...I have zero reason to expect a win at USD.  That would leave us 7-4 at best, and on the playoff bubble (good quality loss resume though).  This team needed to take a step forward from that spot this year...I don't think it's going to happen, and it's very frustrating and disappointing to me.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

He has resurrected!!!

Still waiting to hear who I should email to get us a new QB

Kind of concerning you apparently spent the weekend waiting for my input. Wasn't going to squander the last nice weekend of the year watching people get some sort of strange enjoyment out of feeling they were "right" because UND lost and reading the same old hot-takes and made up arguments. Wasn't hard to predict 95% of the posts I did bother reading.

All I will say is that if what you took away from that game was a QB change was the missing link for different results, you've confirmed exactly what is fairly obvious about your great football mind.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Kind of concerning you apparently spent the weekend waiting for my input. Wasn't going to squander the last nice weekend of the year watching people get some sort of strange enjoyment out of feeling they were "right" because UND lost and reading the same old hot-takes and made up arguments. Wasn't hard to predict 95% of the posts I did bother reading.

All I will say is that if what you took away from that game was a QB change was the missing link for different results, you've confirmed exactly what is fairly obvious about your great football mind.

You still didn't answer my question. Who am I supposed to email this time?

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

You still didn't answer my question. Who am I supposed to email this time?

The world is your oyster. Make sure you include your resume this time though, maybe you'll get more traction.
Hopefully it is more in-depth than a few bike rides by practice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

ummmmmmmmmm....that's me!

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

@jdub27 should at least get the names right if he's going to scold and preach. :silly:

Yes, I'm aware it was a different poster which I was I said I hope it was more in-depth than that high bar of qualification.

On to next week.....

I know this won’t be a popular take, but I’m just trying to think about this logically.  There’s been a lot of disgust at starting Tommy for the 3rd quarter.    Keep in mind, this analysis only works when considering what we knew at halftime, not anything in the second half.  At halftime, UND was only down 17, well within the reach of making a comeback, so long as some things go your way.  UND was going to start with the ball.  Score on that drive.  Get a stop.  Force a turnover.  Who would have the best chances to lead a comeback - a 4 year starter or a backup who has only played a few reps?  I’m not ragging on the backups, I’m just asking what evidence is available to think they would’ve been the best candidate to lead a comeback?  I know Tommy had a bad half, but that doesn’t mean the second half will go the same way.  Putting a new guy in there at that point says, to me, that we are not expecting to win.

I’ll hang up and listen. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I know this won’t be a popular take, but I’m just trying to think about this logically.  There’s been a lot of disgust at starting Tommy for the 3rd quarter.    Keep in mind, this analysis only works when considering what we knew at halftime, not anything in the second half.  At halftime, UND was only down 17, well within the reach of making a comeback, so long as some things go your way.  UND was going to start with the ball.  Score on that drive.  Get a stop.  Force a turnover.  Who would have the best chances to lead a comeback - a 4 year starter or a backup who has only played a few reps?  I’m not ragging on the backups, I’m just asking what evidence is available to think they would’ve been the best candidate to lead a comeback?  I know Tommy had a bad half, but that doesn’t mean the second half will go the same way.  Putting a new guy in there at that point says, to me, that we are not expecting to win.

I’ll hang up and listen. 

Sometimes you just need to shock the system. 

On 10/23/2023 at 7:08 PM, Dustin said:

I’ll hang up and listen. 

took over starting quarterback duties just before halftime of the Coyotes’ Dakota Days contest against No. 14 Southern Illinois … entered trailing 21-7 and rallied South Dakota to a 27-24 victory 

Here is my take about taking Tommy out. Maybe if he was takin out after the opening drive of the 3rd. Trey comes in and rally’s team to a win. Or maybe we lose.

Another is that Tommy would be p!ssed off and be more focused more resilient next time. Or the team rallies, saying we cannot let out QB down. 

I don’t know the psyche of our players or what goes on in the locker room. Our coaches would know more about motivating them. Bottom line players have to believe and make their own energy on the road.

Focus one play at a time…..
Historical note, 1979 Monday Night Kenny throws pick 6 and Raiders down 35-14 in 3rd. Flores sends in Plunkett and Stabler waves him off and later says. I got us into this mess, and I’m going to get us out of it. 4 TD’s later Raiders win. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, UND Football Fan said:

Here is my take about taking Tommy out. Maybe if he was takin out after the opening drive of the 3rd. Trey comes in and rally’s team to a win. Or maybe we lose.

Another is that Tommy would be p!ssed off and be more focused more resilient next time. Or the team rallies, saying we cannot let out QB down. 

I don’t know the psyche of our players or what goes on in the locker room. Our coaches would know more about motivating them. Bottom line players have to believe and make their own energy on the road.

Focus one play at a time…..
Historical note, 1979 Monday Night Kenny throws pick 6 and Raiders down 35-14 in 3rd. Flores sends in Plunkett and Stabler waves him off and later says. I got us into this mess, and I’m going to get us out of it. 4 TD’s later Raiders win. 

Tommy isn’t a DI championship caliber qb. He’s a game manager who has played a long time (lots of game experience). Protects the ball.

But he doesn’t have top end arm talent and he isn’t athletic enough to make big game changing plays against good teams. He has led UND to 7-4 and 5-6 seasons and played a long time. He’ll be in the “record books”, but he will long be remembered as epitomizing average average “Bubba ball” in my opinion. UND goes 3-1 or 2-2 these next 4 games and  is right back at 7-4 again it seems like with good ol’ Tommy gun and Bubba ball. Change is glacial around these parts, and that is not a good thing. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/23/2023 at 7:08 PM, Dustin said:

I’ll hang up and listen. 

It's not unheard of to make a switch.  Does Tommy have any comebacks in the past 3 years?  I think he's either hot or cold and rides that through the entire game.  Tough comparison but it was the National Championship game and the starter was 25-2 in his career, and the back-up had no competitive playing time.  What a Ballzy call!!

The Alabama Crimson Tide won the 2017 college football national championship on Monday night, beating the Georgia Bulldogs in overtime, 26-23, in Atlanta at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

It was a game filled with big moments. But undoubtedly the biggest decision in the game came at halftime, when Alabama head coach Nick Saban choose to replace starting quarterback Jalen Hurts with true freshman Tua Tagovailoa after the Tide got out to a flat start on offense.

When Tagovailoa came out for Alabama's first drive of the second half, many were left confused by the move. Hurts was 25-2 in his career as a starter, and the idea of giving a true freshman his first competitive playing time in the national championship against one of the best defenses in college football seems like a recipe for disaster.

But Saban knew what he was doing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2