SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

4 hours ago, homer said:

Still think they need a plan at OLB

Look at the athletes at TE. Find a way to get them on the field at the same time. Our best athletes need an opportunity to play. We should be doing that during spring ball. Steckler comes to mind. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Look at the athletes at TE. Find a way to get them on the field at the same time. Our best athletes need an opportunity to play. We should be doing that during spring ball. Steckler comes to mind. 

Gunderson too. Could he be a LB?

21 hours ago, iramurphy said:

hear this every year........we have all these great TE's but they hardly ever get used.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Could be LB or DE. Great athlete, tough kid. He should be on the field. I think they should include TE’s in passing tree more often. 

As a kid in the 70’s I remember UND running a TE reverse from time to time that was very effective. 

I say bring back the TE reverse. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

As a kid in the 70’s I remember UND running a TE reverse from time to time that was very effective. 

Paul Muckenhirn (sp) the All American ran it best. Recruited as a running back. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Paul Muckenhirn, All-American. He was a HS qb. We used to sign a lot of QBs that ended up as RBs, TEs, DBs, LBs, DEs, and occasionally in the line. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2022 at 10:48 AM, iramurphy said:

Could be LB or DE. Great athlete, tough kid. He should be on the field. I think they should include TE’s in passing tree more often. 

Prior to having any skin/blood in the game I was vocal about our TE graveyard U.  I voiced these concerns but was hopeful and optimistic this position group could/would/should evolve, but it didn't.  It regressed during the year and was reduced to a 1 dimensional blocking position in less than 35% of the O snaps last 4-5 games. (estimating)  Zavalney wasn't really a hand on the ground TE and a number of his early receptions were from a split position which Dennis seemed to gobble up when Dennis played more and Danny felt his 4 and 5 wide looks gave us the best chance to win.  Most frustrating might have been VRS Weber St. witnessing Weber's 2 TE package beating the crap out of us while in less than ideal conditions we tried to spread them out.  The only conclusion must be Danny feels his TE group is not talented enough to make them a bigger part of the offense.  And, Danny doesn't see the need for a grind it out/bad weather/Playoff type O package.  I think he's wrong on both accounts.  I still like the guy, Danny!!  

So why do we carry so many TEs and could some play other positions??  (I don't have these answers)

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

Prior to having any skin/blood in the game I was vocal about our TE graveyard U.  I voiced these concerns but was hopeful and optimistic this position group could/would/should evolve, but it didn't.  It regressed during the year and was reduced to a 1 dimensional blocking position in less than 35% of the O snaps last 4-5 games. (estimating)  Zavalney wasn't really a hand on the ground TE and a number of his early receptions were from a split position which Dennis seemed to gobble up when Dennis played more and Danny felt his 4 and 5 wide looks gave us the best chance to win.  Most frustrating might have been VRS Weber St. witnessing Weber's 2 TE package beating the crap out of us while in less than ideal conditions we tried to spread them out.  The only conclusion must be Danny feels his TE group is not talented enough to make them a bigger part of the offense.  And, Danny doesn't see the need for a grind it out/bad weather/Playoff type O package.  I think he's wrong on both accounts.  I still like the guy, Danny!!  

So why do we carry so many TEs and could some play other positions??  (I don't have these answers)

I want to ask a question (this might have been discussed before on this board and I don't remember), but anyone can chime on this.

How much say does a player have when changing a position?  Can it be a simple as going up to Bubba and saying: Hey, I want to play this because x, y, and z.

15 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I want to ask a question (this might have been discussed before on this board and I don't remember), but anyone can chime on this.

How much say does a player have when changing a position?  Can it be a simple as going up to Bubba and saying: Hey, I want to play this because x, y, and z.

I don't think much of any.  95+% of position change is coach driven, best guess.  More likely, a player has to have the balls/enough belief to leave the program.

The stories are cool like JJ Watt from his full ride TE spot at Central Michigan with 2 career receptions, to walk-on at Wisconsin emerging into All Big 10, to HOF caliber DE in the NFL.

But for every JJ Watt position and team change there are probably 99 stories that didn't pan out.

• Like 1

Every program needs to reevaluate the performance and progress of every player on the team at the end of each season and in FB again at the end of spring ball. Coaches need a self assessment of what went well and what didn’t, strengths and weaknesses and whether or not they have the right personnel in position for the team to be successful and for the player to be successful.  

They also need to reevaluate whether or not they have the right personal to run the schemes they plan to run. Every team has players lingering behind others for whatever reason that can contribute better at a different position. Teams also need to evaluate whether or not they as a staff are developing these players to their full potential. 

We had Nordby, Zalvaney, Steckler, Gunderson, Klein, Ihry, and 3 younger guys at TE. How often do we ever run a double TE set?  How many times do we throw  to the TE? Can Ihry or Gunderson play LB or DE. That’s what spring ball is for.  Can Koshiol play LB. 3 very good athletes, that may provide depth at some key positions and get them more playing time. 

The Coaching staff needs to do self evaluations and answer the question: are we developing this player to their full potential? If not, why not?  If so is there any other position the player can play to better help the team.  That should also get the player more playing time. 

In my opinion those evaluations and decisions are as important as recruiting. 
I have no idea if our staff does this, if so, to what extent or are they doing a much better evaluation?  I used TE as an example but OL and DL is an example of guys who may better contribute from the other side of the line of scrimmage. 

Our staff wants conference, and national championships as much or more than anyone else. It’s harder than we think, but it’s not impossible. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Player has an obligation to themselves and the team to have those conversations with coaches. If they feel they can better help the team at a different position. The coaches have an obligation to listen to the player and consider the request. Coaches initial response tends to be no. A better answer would be to ask the player why they would be better at a different position and then tell the player the coach will discuss with staff, consider the request and get back to them in a couple of days.

If the player isn’t happy with the response, they can ask what they can do to move up on the depth chart. Every player on every team deserves those courtesies at a minimum. We can’t to not have our players in the right positions.  

The guy that I watched and waited to see get involved was Billy Riviere.  He was rated as #13 prospect in MN as a senior by one place. 

In 2 seasons at UND he never caught a pass.  I have no idea if we ever threw to him or not.

This fall at Washington State he had 12 catches for 117 yards and a TD.  It's hard to imagine that we didn't find a way to get him involved in the passing game at UND. 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

The guy that I watched and waited to see get involved was Billy Riviere.  He was rated as #13 prospect in MN as a senior by one place. 

In 2 seasons at UND he never caught a pass.  I have no idea if we ever threw to him or not.

This fall at Washington State he had 12 catches for 117 yards and a TD.  It's hard to imagine that we didn't find a way to get him involved in the passing game at UND. 

That was a huge program error. We can’t afford to miss on guys we already have in our program. Hopefully there was an in house program review to see how that happened. His Dad played at UND. Maybe he just knew he could play up and wanted to.  I don’t believe TEs who just want to block. They want to catch the ball and score.  

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

That was a huge program error. We can’t afford to miss on guys we already have in our program. Hopefully there was an in house program review to see how that happened. His Dad played at UND. Maybe he just knew he could play up and wanted to.  I don’t believe TEs who just want to block. They want to catch the ball and score.  

I believe he had bigger offers than UND but we had an advantage because his dad played for us.  I don't know his dad but ran into him at a game during Billy's redshirt year.  He said Billy loved it at UND.  It's not hard to believe that he got frustrated with his lack of a role in the offense. 

• Upvote 3