SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Few other staples: qb counter, jet sweep, running back/full back wheel route, qb power …

but yes, a gap power is their bread and butter

lets be honest, ndsu has won for over a decade plus not because of their deep play book, but because they develop line of scrimmage (OL/DL) players better than any other FCS program. They consistently take guys with minimal expectations and turn them into NFLers

You are not wrong.  They do it as well as anybody.

25 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

NDSU sends TE's to the NFL but never throws to them in college.  Why aren't they using their tight ends!!!!

awww....OK??

Ellefson had 16 TD receptions in college.  

Gindorff had stats of 38 receptions, 448 yards, 11 TDs prior to this season and had 6 receptions, 71 yards, and a TD before an early injury.  Then Stofell filled in with 22 receptions.  Stofell listed at 6'3" and 245 lbs.  Just a beast.

Plus, TE sets like All Day Darrell.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Include TE seam and you have written their entire playbook

But you are correct in that they win because they consistently win the line of scrimmage. 

After reading all of this I am shocked our tight ends aren't entering the portal to get more catches. 

There has to be a big market for them. 

22 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Yah those 117 yards were the difference for us.  How many did Zavalney have?

Or maybe the point is we had a kid who has now shown he is able to contribute on a team in the Pac 12 and we couldn't figure out how to get him engaged in the offense and keep him around.  

He also has 2 more years so let's see how he does moving forward. 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Or maybe the point is we had a kid who has now shown he is able to contribute on a team in the Pac 12 and we couldn't figure out how to get him engaged in the offense and keep him around.  

He also has 2 more years so let's see how he does moving forward. 

He caught one pass per game.  Zavalney could catch 1 pass per game for an average FBS team. A lot of FCS tight ends could.   

You guys are seriously taking this tight end thing to an embarrassing spot. Can't help but laugh. 

Did we ever stop to think that UND's tight ends aren't nearly as good as SDSU and NDSU's?  Did our superstar pass receiving/ass-kicking run blocker TE's have any other offers out of high school?  Cause I know their's did.  

25 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

He caught one pass per game.  Zavalney could catch 1 pass per game for an average FBS team. A lot of FCS tight ends could.   

You guys are seriously taking this tight end thing to an embarrassing spot. Can't help but laugh. 

Did we ever stop to think that UND's tight ends aren't nearly as good as SDSU and NDSU's?  Did our superstar pass receiving/ass-kicking run blocker TE's have any other offers out of high school?  Cause I know their's did.  

What’s more funny is how much UND kool aid you drink. 

UND gets recruits quite equal to SDSU but the rate of development between the two programs is embarrassingly contrasted. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND gets recruits quite equal to SDSU but the rate of development between the two programs is embarrassingly contrasted. 

Wait, apparently SDSU is recruiting D2 players as well? 

Next you're going to tell me they kept running coaches out of town until they got immediate results out of one. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

What’s more funny is how much UND kool aid you drink. 

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.  Are you saying our players are as good as SDSU's out of high school? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Says the guy with 6 of the last 13 posts.  Our playoff performance speaks volume.  Glad you are around to toe the company line.  Thanks bud!!

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Could argue Smith or Waletzko.

To Luke's credit (former O-line coach) he told me the kid would be in the NFL some day as a freshman.  It should be Smith's backfield next year.  Did Hoos have about 2-1 carries over him this past season though?

18 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

To Luke's credit (former O-line coach) he told me the kid would be in the NFL some day as a freshman.  It should be Smith's backfield next year.  Did Hoos have about 2-1 carries over him this past season though?

Waletzko was a great player for UND. Need to continue to develop the offensive line and get more players like him for UND. As said previously, NDSU and SDSU’s consistent development of the offensive line is what puts them out in front of the pack.

I think Smith needs to still take a step forward. He was too inconsistent in 2022. He would have a big play, but then follow that up with several lackluster plays. Hence the reason Hoosman easily surpassed him on the depth chart. Hoosman was the textbook definition of consistent. Smith needs to do better with that, especially given the opportunity in front of him for 2023.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Waletzko was a great player for UND. Need to continue to develop the offensive line and get more players like him for UND. As said previously, NDSU and SDSU’s consistent development of the offensive line is what puts them out in front of the pack.

I think Smith needs to still take a step forward. He was too inconsistent in 2022. He would have a big play, but then follow that up with several lackluster plays. Hence the reason Hoosman easily surpassed him on the depth chart. Hoosman was the textbook definition of consistent. Smith needs to do better with that, especially given the opportunity in front of him for 2023.

I’d like to see Smith slowly add a good 10lbs over the course of the year. That should help him between the tackles and allow him to keep his quickness. Might help his top end speed too.

On 12/27/2022 at 1:03 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Kinda missing the point, aren’t you?

Re: Player utilization and development. 

@UND1983 etal :

"The coaching staff along with Baukol consistently develop the worst talent in the MVFC into a team which is consistently a game over .500".  Credit where credit is due...

On 12/27/2022 at 10:28 AM, F'n Hawks said:

Bubba has done a decent job with the portal but my biggest problem is what you stated above. There have been many that are talented enough to make a big impact right away but they seem to ease them in as the year goes on. Our scheme cannot be too complicated for this to keep happening. 

Especially with the transfer portal.