SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

On 12/6/2022 at 6:40 PM, iramurphy said:

Feeney has all of the tools. He played 5A FB and through for almost 2000 yds 36tds with only 1 int. 6’3” 205. Can run the ball. I would be very disappointed if we can’t help him develop into our starter.  Romfo is athletic and all he does is win. Kaminski looks like a very talented kid and he and Feeney are similar in size, both good athletes. I would be very disappointed if we can’t develop these guys into very good QBs but then again, I’m not at practice nor in the film room. Time will tell. 

Yes. Sometimes we forget these are 18-23 year old kids. How they do in high school certainly doesn’t always translate to how they do in college. A lot more on their plate when they go to college, and sometimes they just don’t mesh well with that. I agree that good mentorship and development from the coaches can mitigate that some, though, which is again why a good rounded staff is so damn important. 

Feeney was a very good high school quarterback, but there’s a ton of unknown for him still at the college level. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yes. Sometimes we forget these are 18-23 year old kids. How they do in high school certainly doesn’t always translate to how they do in college. A lot more on their plate when they go to college, and sometimes they just don’t mesh well with that. I agree that good mentorship and development from the coaches can mitigate that some, though, which is again why a good rounded staff is so damn important. 

Feeney was a very good high school quarterback, but there’s a ton of unknown for him still at the college level. 

Correct but the same can be said for all HS recruits. He has the intangibles: leadership, winning program, Championship. These are the guys who can develop in QBs who can carry a team. Schuster had those intangibles. Feeney does. Kaminski seems to. Romfo does. They were all winners and leaders.  This has been one of my concerns. Can we develop these guys in our program to reach their full potential. Is that more of an issue for us than X’s and O’s?  

360 Signing Day Podcast: It was refreshing to hear Kelly rant a bit. He was very blunt when talking about how things need to change if they are going to challenge NDSU / SDSU. Looking ahead to 2023, they discussed on a positive note how good this team should be offensively. On the defensive side of the ball, simply UND NEEDS to get better at Linebacker / Safety. I got the feeling he felt Ok with what they'll have on the D-Line (or at least they'll be improved) as well as CB. 

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

NDSU and SDSU are big mean bullies on the line*. 

Thus, and frankly, UND needs to quit being nice in the trenches. 

UND needs to learn from that and match that level of intensity, strength, toughness, and endurance. 

*that is a compliment

One of the things he did emphasize also was speed. How fast NDSU's secondary / LB's are.  

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

I thought Kelly has always been good at ranting.  Listening to the podcast now.

I said a couple months ago....I love his rants actually.  Tells it like it is when he rants...which is needed at times.  Haven't listened to this podcast yet though, but looking forward to it. 

• Upvote 1

Initial thoughts on the D-Line as we believe it will be constructed.

• Lose: Morrison (Starter), Keech, Thorsness, Ledbetter
  • Gain: Griffin Jr (NG), Saltonstall, Teiken*, Schweigert*, Olson*
  • Return: Johnson (Starter), McNaboe (Starter), Beach, Orlando, Schultz, Lennon, Ogbu (?)

*Freshman last year

My hope going into this offseason was the D-Line would follow suit of the O-Line last year. What that means is you bring players that will push the returning starters / have others push the 2-Deep. Morrison is the only starter & guy on the 2-Deep that won't be returning. Griffin Jr is such an important piece. I wouldn't pencil him in as a starter, but as 360 tweeted, he adds very important depth to that position. I'm excited to see what Schultz / Teiken can do. I also think Saltonstall will find his way on the 2-deep. That would be very important to the overall success of this unit. No doubt they should be better. 

Thoughts?

16 minutes ago, LDL said:

has anyone heard any word about which of the class of 2022 freshmen showed promise?  I think Caden Dennis was a true freshman.  anyone else?

I'm going to pivot a little from your original question of showed promise, because that list of course would be bigger. This is based off of what Tom Miller wrote at the middle / end of the season. The question was phrased, which Freshman could potentially make an impact last year. Besides Dennis, he mentioned Bluiett (CB) and Borud (OL). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I'm going to pivot a little from your original question of showed promise, because that list of course would be bigger. This is based off of what Tom Miller wrote at the middle / end of the season. The question was phrased, which Freshman could potentially make an impact last year. Besides Dennis, he mentioned Bluiett (CB) and Borud (OL). 

McNeal was solid on Special Teams and got some end game PT. Hoping he takes a step up.

13 minutes ago, Goose15 said:

This would be huge!!

It's the way it should be.  Even if we had hosted by a higher bid this year, I would still say that.  I like the direction this is heading.  Looks like the egregious error made by a few on the committee will have a positive outcome. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

It's the way it should be.  Even if we had hosted by a higher bid this year, I would still say that.  I like the direction this is heading.  Looks like the egregious error made by a few on the committee will have a positive outcome. 

It just means that the NDSU AD will make sure UND is always coming in at 17-24.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hawkster said:

It just means that the NDSU AD will make sure UND is always coming in at 17-24.

He needs to be off the dang committee!! The committee should be made up of the conference commissioners.  They will fight for their conference and be more fair than biased AD's.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1