SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

28 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I completely agree with this, and it’s a disgrace. Another reason to hate that cow institute in Fargo. What goes around comes around, though, thankfully. 

As an aside, though, because of this corruption, the FCS playoff committee definitely needs to seed the top 16 teams. Take this stupid bidding process out of it.

Then it'll be a corrupt seeding process.

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Administration threats of cuts to ndac athletic programs are on the table (which hopefully will keep the trolls on their own site). Or perhaps based on their ethics, it was just a ruse to pull more dollars out of TM pockets - which will work of course. 

Never under estimate the purse stings of the governor too

3 minutes ago, Und246 said:

I could see the day where UND has a good enough season to be considered for a seed but just outside the 8 seeds like Weber. But if that happens I will bet the NCAA sends us on the road anyway. They will come up with a different excuse then. 

There is only one way this changes.  I think we all know what that way is.

1 hour ago, Und246 said:

I could see the day where UND has a good enough season to be considered for a seed but just outside the 8 seeds like Weber. But if that happens I will bet the NCAA sends us on the road anyway. They will come up with a different excuse then. 

We have hosted 2 playoff games, including 1 in which we were seeded, so we can pump the conspiracy theory brakes a little bit.  We did get screwed this year thanks to playoff committee membership.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

We have hosted 2 playoff games, including 1 in which we were seeded, so we can pump the conspiracy theory brakes a little bit.  We did get screwed this year thanks to playoff committee membership.

Really it was thanks to laying an egg at SIU and NDSU. 8-2 heading into the dome would’ve looked a lot better to the committee. 

• Upvote 2

I went back and looked at our 2018 roster when we had Tank Harris and Austin Cieslak on the D-Line.  Cieslak and Harris each went 290, with Mason Bennett being 260 at the other DE spot.  That is the size our D-Line needs to get back to in my opinion to be consistent at stopping the run.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goose15 said:

I went back and looked at our 2018 roster when we had Tank Harris and Austin Cieslak on the D-Line.  Cieslak and Harris each went 290, with Mason Bennett being 260 at the other DE spot.  That is the size our D-Line needs to get back to in my opinion to be consistent at stopping the run.  

Exactly. I wouldn’t mind a 320lb nose too though. A real handful.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/28/2022 at 10:56 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Rushing yards given up per game:

Nebraska  -  244

UNI            -  115

SIU            -   148

YSU           -   178

SDSU         -   95

ACU           -   122

INST           -   126

USD            -   97

NDSU         -   363

Weber        -   330

We gave up over 200 yards rushing 3 times.  Nebraska, NDSU, Weber.  Is it an issue?  Sure.  But it's not like we are giving up huge amounts on the ground every game.  Yes, we gave up a bunch the last two weeks and to very good teams.  Giving up 300+ rushing yards 2 weeks in a row is alarming.  ut it was definitely not the trend all season.  Not saying we can't improve, but not like we were awful at stopping the run all year.

With all the teeth-gnashing about UND’s run defense, these numbers are not so bad until the last 2 games. Even SDSU only had 95 yards on the ground.

It felt like the pass defense was weaker than the ground defense for most of the season.

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

With all the teeth-gnashing about UND’s run defense, these numbers are not so bad until the last 2 games. Even SDSU only had 95 yards on the ground.

It felt like the pass defense was weaker than the ground defense for most of the season.

Gotta remember teams threw at will against us, thus the rushing yards statistic. Our pass rush was non existent, which was totally unexpected - that can change with one player. 

I'm not advocating for UND to pull a Petrino, but they truly need to utilize the portal in several areas and HIT on their offers if they want to rebuild this defense by next year. Probably not going to be a top D nationally but need to be more competent than we were this year to give us a chance. I just hope they are taking it seriously rather than rolling with what we have, especially with our front 7.

I could see the secondary improving, though I think a lot of this is scheme as much as skill. Interested to see how Dixon fits into the mix. and if Bishop could step up and take some reps. Would rather see these guys play more man than zone. 

Safety ... any help available???