SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

Alex Cloyd is another example. Dude was a beefcastle and we hardly used him! Would’ve been a monster DE too. Roster management has been a gripe of mine under Bubba. There are obvious moves and they either don’t make them or wait til it’s so painfully obvious and necessary that it’s a wasted opportunity.

• Upvote 2

If we have a TE like Cloyd that doesn't get used until a senior year, or a defensive scheme where a portal safety doesn't play until he understands it, are we making it too hard? 

I say that as I am tossing away a 20+ year old code base and starting from scratch. It was built on late 90's tech that's rapidly going obsolete. It's a patch on a patch glob, written in a dead language, where you've lost the original design and architecture of it. 

Is that what the UND playbook has become also?

If incoming field-ready bodies (and talent) can't get onto the field because they can't comprehend the playbook, the problem isn't the player. 

Start fresh, start simple, with (PDF) pages 37-52 in here? :D 

Would we ever run offensive play "2-10"?  :huh:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If we have a TE like Cloyd that doesn't get used until a senior year, or a defensive scheme where a portal safety doesn't play until he understands it, are we making it too hard? 

I say that as I am tossing away a 20+ year old code base and starting from scratch. It was built on late 90's tech that's rapidly going obsolete. It's a patch on a patch glob, written in a dead language, where you've lost the original design and architecture of it. 

If incoming field-ready bodies (and talent) can't get onto the field because they can't comprehend the playbook, the problem isn't the player. 

I heard this in passing....Cloyd didn't understand the offense.  What a joke.  Or, it takes 3 years for our safeties to learn our defense........

At a homecoming weekend probably 5-7 years ago I sat in with the Defense on their day before game team film study and must admit I had no bleeping idea what our checks were and could tell most of the players didn't either.......then we went out and got beat by Idaho St.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I heard this in passing....Cloyd didn't understand the offense.  What a joke.  Or, it takes 3 years for our safeties to learn our defense........

At a homecoming weekend probably 5-7 years ago I sat in with the Defense on their day before game team film study and must admit I had no bleeping idea what our checks were and could tell most of the players didn't either.......then we went out and got beat by Idaho St.

Another example of our coaches out-coaching themselves. I’m a broken record, I’m sorry, but man, UND football could be so better off … damn it Chaves

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goose15 said:

Wasn't Cloyd in Rudolph's era?  Danny's offense is completely different and by all accounts easier to learn. Look no further than Red being a huge piece in our offense for the entire season in his first season with us.  

Danny Freund is way way better than Rudolph, no comparison. Just his contemporary formations and play calls scream this. 

Now, for Bubba and his archaic defense, I can’t say the same thing … it’s broken … and he gets emotional and pouts if you call him out on it. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Bubba has done a decent job with the portal but my biggest problem is what you stated above. There have been many that are talented enough to make a big impact right away but they seem to ease them in as the year goes on. Our scheme cannot be too complicated for this to keep happening. 

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Could UND do more by following the K.I.S.S principal?

Do you know Dr. Glenn I. Lykken? That UND Physics prof loved that philosophy. :D 

I had a boss that used to say something like anyone can throw more parts and complexity at something to try to make it "better", but true design elegance is getting improved performance from less complexity. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I agree with this.  And, we don't seem to find anywhere to get production out of them except the UND TE Graveyard.  So maybe try something else.

NDSU has it figured out. They call a very contemporary offense yet still use 22 and 23 personnel. They have a Qb that can’t throw yet can win championships. They win semifinals despite completing only 1 pass (goes 1 of 12, I repeat, 1 of 12)! Moral of the story is formulate an offense and call plays to utilize your personnel; doesn’t matter if it looks good, just matters if it works. Bottomline, winning always looks good at the end of the day, regardless of how you get there.. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Goose15 said:

Wasn't Cloyd in Rudolph's era?  Danny's offense is completely different and by all accounts easier to learn. Look no further than Red being a huge piece in our offense for the entire season in his first season with us.  

Ya, Kudos to Danny on Hoos and Red, year #1 impact players.  Mostly a D issue right now.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

NDSU has it figured out. They call a very contemporary offense yet still use 22 and 23 personnel. They have a Qb that can’t throw yet can win championships. They win semifinals despite completing only 1 pass (goes 1 of 12, I repeat, 1 of 12)! Moral of the story is formulate an offense and call plays to utilize your personnel; doesn’t matter if it looks good, just matters if it works. Bottomline, winning always looks good at the end of the day, regardless of how you get there.. 

Seriously......how does this happen!! 

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

:blink:

Watch their stuff … it’s good. And most importantly, it works. QB run game is a staple. Lots of misdirection and motion. Several different ball carriers. 

Despite what you may think, contemporary doesn’t mean pass happy. In fact, best teams in football, regardless of level, still focus on running the ball. You pass to score, you run to win.

The ESPN semi-final guys called the NDSU offense "classic". I suspect it was the nice way of saying "old school". 

I like to say NDSU does nothing exceptional, but what they do they do exceptionally well. 

I swear NDSU has three blocking schemes for the OL and maybe 12 plays on offense (with play number one being A gap power). But they never miss assignments. 

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

This frustrates me. 

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The ESPN semi-final guys called the NDSU offense "classic". I suspect it was the nice way of saying "old school". 

I like to say NDSU does nothing exceptional, but what they do they do exceptionally well. 

I swear NDSU has three blocking schemes for the OL and maybe 12 plays on offense (with play number one being A gap power). But they never miss assignments. 

This isn’t correct though; they do some exceptional things. It’s a misconception, probably spread on here (SiouxSports) mostly. NDSU does change it up formationally and with shifts. Lots of different ball carriers. QB run game is well thought out. 

If you want to see “classic” old school football done the wrong way, go back and watch Rudolph’s offense at UND. It was basically what Minot State ran in the late 90s.

My gripe list in no particular order.

Roster Management/TE usage - too many rostered for what we use/don't use them for.  As far as I can tell Danny is happy with 2-3 guys that can block.  Zavalney was used more as a Split End to start the year, then phased out 2nd half of season.

Defense Scheme and complexity - Players never ready year #1 (complexity) 3-4 as many have warned doesn't seem to fit, and need to be bigger up front, more athletic in back.

NLI - We're behind many other programs right now

Status Quo - not seeing much other than wanting to be a 7 win team

Tommy Gun - Lacks the running dimension of an NDSU/Incarnate Word type game.  Choke City in NDSU and SDSU game.

WR Speed - I miss Clive

Special Players - Need a few more difference makers on the team

Development - Maybe overly critical but who's the last player to come in with "no expectations" and become a huge impact player? (Santiago??)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

NDSU will give you 100 different looks ... to run A gap power out of. 

Few other staples: qb counter, jet sweep, running back/full back wheel route, qb power …

but yes, a gap power is their bread and butter

lets be honest, ndsu has won for over a decade plus not because of their deep play book, but because they develop line of scrimmage (OL/DL) players better than any other FCS program. They consistently take guys with minimal expectations and turn them into NFLers

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Few other staples: qb counter, jet sweep, running back/full back wheel route, qb power …

but yes, a gap power is their bread and butter

lets be honest, ndsu has won for over a decade plus not because of their deep play book, ...

Include TE seam and you have written their entire playbook

But you are correct in that they win because they consistently win the line of scrimmage.