SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

On 11/30/2022 at 9:24 PM, siouxfan512 said:

I'm not advocating for UND to pull a Petrino, but they truly need to utilize the portal in several areas and HIT on their offers if they want to rebuild this defense by next year. Probably not going to be a top D nationally but need to be more competent than we were this year to give us a chance. I just hope they are taking it seriously rather than rolling with what we have, especially with our front 7.

I could see the secondary improving, though I think a lot of this is scheme as much as skill. Interested to see how Dixon fits into the mix. and if Bishop could step up and take some reps. Would rather see these guys play more man than zone. 

Safety ... any help available???

UND was in man a lot.  At least on one side over 60% of the time.   If you want to help the secondary. It starts up front with a pass rush.  Our pass rush was ok when we were ahead and they could T off. It was not the rest of the time. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Big time. Very important piece returning. Need a few more key 5th year guys to confirm.

It is good to have experienced players, but we need to get way bigger on the defensive line. With Johnson coming back 2 out of 3 starters will be the same as last year. Need to get some big bodies to come in that can still play valuable reps.

12 hours ago, Goose15 said:

It is good to have experienced players, but we need to get way bigger on the defensive line. With Johnson coming back 2 out of 3 starters will be the same as last year. Need to get some big bodies to come in that can still play valuable reps.

With how this defense was last year, people being back shouldn’t automatically be starting. Need reevaluation across the board.

• Upvote 1

Yes we were manhandled up front by bigger more explosive offensive lines but the gawdy rushing numbers came from multiple missed tackles in the secondary for massive runs and/or touchdowns.  First priority to me is a new and improved secondary.  The reason rushing numbers other than ndsu and Weber were not as big was recognition that we had virtually no pass protection. Giving receivers 10 yard cushions and still getting beat deep is the worst of both worlds from a coverage standpoint.  Besides the cover issues, tackling and particularly tackling in space was a huge problem across the secondary and needs significant change for next year..  appreciate KK’s loyalty to the program but we can’t afford him as starting safety another year.  Need a Cole Reyes type that can cover but also come up hard on the run.  That would be my priority for next year.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Hans8891 said:

Yes we were manhandled up front by bigger more explosive offensive lines but the gawdy rushing numbers came from multiple missed tackles in the secondary for massive runs and/or touchdowns.  First priority to me is a new and improved secondary.  The reason rushing numbers other than ndsu and Weber were not as big was recognition that we had virtually no pass protection. Giving receivers 10 yard cushions and still getting beat deep is the worst of both worlds from a coverage standpoint.  Besides the cover issues, tackling and particularly tackling in space was a huge problem across the secondary and needs significant change for next year..  appreciate KK’s loyalty to the program but we can’t afford him as starting safety another year.  Need a Cole Reyes type that can cover but also come up hard on the run.  That would be my priority for next year.

This is an interesting debate to me.. I watched multiple games where we had zero push up front and the QB could sit back there and pick apart the secondary.  Also particularly the last two games it seemed like our d-line was getting pushed about 5 yds deep on every play and the opposing teams had zero reason to actually even try to throw the ball.  A couple of surprises for me this last year..

• I was really surprised our d-line wasnt better..  I really thought this would be the strength of our defense.
  • I wasnt surprised the secondary struggled early due to the attrition last year.  I think we have some talent in this group both transfer and youth and I was surprised that they didnt improve more as the year went on.. scheme??
  • I wonder if the primary issues werent our LB's and the turnover from 21 to 22.. seemed poor in coverage and not generating the pressure up front.
  • Also.. I love KK.. he brings great energy and heart.. but man did he struggle in coverage. The cupboard must have been really bare to keep rolling him out there week after week.  You could make quite a video montage of him chasing the person he was supposed to be covering across the field in big situations this year.

My biggest hope is a cole reyes type .. and who is our Ratelle.. Turner.. Bennett type for 23.

33 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

This is an interesting debate to me.. I watched multiple games where we had zero push up front and the QB could sit back there and pick apart the secondary.  Also particularly the last two games it seemed like our d-line was getting pushed about 5 yds deep on every play and the opposing teams had zero reason to actually even try to throw the ball.  A couple of surprises for me this last year..

• I was really surprised our d-line wasnt better..  I really thought this would be the strength of our defense.
  • I wasnt surprised the secondary struggled early due to the attrition last year.  I think we have some talent in this group both transfer and youth and I was surprised that they didnt improve more as the year went on.. scheme??
  • I wonder if the primary issues werent our LB's and the turnover from 21 to 22.. seemed poor in coverage and not generating the pressure up front.
  • Also.. I love KK.. he brings great energy and heart.. but man did he struggle in coverage. The cupboard must have been really bare to keep rolling him out there week after week.  You could make quite a video montage of him chasing the person he was supposed to be covering across the field in big situations this year.

My biggest hope is a cole reyes type .. and who is our Ratelle.. Turner.. Bennett type for 23.

It’s the front 7 all day for me. It was rough all year. No idea why our play was so bad at nose but it was atrocious.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So I know it might be difficult to fix ALL the issues on the defense for next year, but if there was one position group (DLine, LB, secondard) that would go the furthest in improving the defense, what would that be?

Always start in the trenches. They make everyone’s job easy if they’re good. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Portal officially opens tomorrow right? Think we will find out about some more that may not be all over social media?

For FBS schools. So for UND, no. I’m guessing UND will have a few more next week, but should be close to done.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So I know it might be difficult to fix ALL the issues on the defense for next year, but if there was one position group (DLine, LB, secondard) that would go the furthest in improving the defense, what would that be?

Although I don't think it was the weakest point last year, for me it's always start up front. Johnson returning is huge and I'm hoping Ogbu returns too. I get the sense that is the plan but would like confirmation. If nothing us changes, they'll lose Morrison (starter), depth upperclassman Keech / Thorsness and Fr. Ledbetter. Based on Bubba specifically calling out improving the D-Line, I'm hoping we'll see the O-Line portal approach from last year applied to the D-Line. This is the only position that I hope they try to sign multiple portal players at. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Although I don't think it was the weakest point last year, for me it's always start up front. Johnson returning is huge and I'm hoping Ogbu returns too. I get the sense that is the plan but would like confirmation. If nothing us changes, they'll lose Morrison (starter), depth upperclassman Keech / Thorsness and Fr. Ledbetter. Based on Bubba specifically calling out improving the D-Line, I'm hoping we'll see the O-Line portal approach from last year applied to the D-Line. This is the only position that I hope they try to sign multiple portal players at. 

Again, experience is good. However, Johnson and Ogbu probably aren't getting much bigger as grad students and right now they are undersized for what we need. I also don't have faith in our defensive coaching staff to not play 5th year guys. From what I see any transfers they bring in now will just be rotation guys. Hope I am wrong.

21 minutes ago, AJS said:

How confident are we in the QB room behind Schuster? I'm thinking about the "what if" scenario that Tommy gets hurt and they need someone to run the offense. Are we in Heidelbaugh territory or are we in much better shape? 

I can see Romfo and going to a much more RPO look for a game. I could see a QV game plan for a game. I'm not sure where Feeney is at and could he take over for multiple weeks. 

That's why we need Jerry Kaminski on campus as the future QB. 

• Upvote 1

Feeney has all of the tools. He played 5A FB and through for almost 2000 yds 36tds with only 1 int. 6’3” 205. Can run the ball. I would be very disappointed if we can’t help him develop into our starter.  Romfo is athletic and all he does is win. Kaminski looks like a very talented kid and he and Feeney are similar in size, both good athletes. I would be very disappointed if we can’t develop these guys into very good QBs but then again, I’m not at practice nor in the film room. Time will tell. 

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Feeney has all of the tools. He played 5A FB and through for almost 2000 yds 36tds with only 1 int. 6’3” 205. Can run the ball. I would be very disappointed if we can’t help him develop into our starter.  Romfo is athletic and all he does is win. Kaminski looks like a very talented kid and he and Feeney are similar in size, both good athletes. I would be very disappointed if we can’t develop these guys into very good QBs but then again, I’m not at practice nor in the film room. Time will tell. 

Agree.  I believe UND is in the best position we have been in years.  I could see Romfo in a similar role as Brockman.  The more weapons the better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Agree.  I believe UND is in the best position we have been in years.  I could see Romfo in a similar role as Brockman.  The more weapons the better.

Or does a good athlete like that start a position change.

So far, Seniors that have confirmed they are using their Covid year.

• Ventrelli - O-Line
  • J. Johnson - D-Line

Any others that have confirmed? You would think by now the Coaching staff would have a good idea of who is going and who is staying. 

Other lists:

Portal

• MVJ (Sr) - OLB
  • Coley (Jr) - Safety
  • Preston (Jr) - WR
  • Oliphant (Gr) - O-Line
  • Moe-Tucker (Fr) - RB
  • Lehman (Fr) - LB
  • Ledbetter (Fr) - D-Line

Graduating / Retiring (Non-Senior on last year's roster)

• Zavalney (Jr) - TE
  • Kimball (Jr) - LB
  • Thorsness (Jr) - D-Line
  • Keech (Jr) - D-Line
  • Neustel (Jr) - O-Line