SiouxSports.com Forum

Polls

gfhockey

Add this to the list of things that does not make any sense to me about UND being a bubble team as the #3 MVFC team. Hypothetically if NDSU wins on Saturday, they will be at worst the #5 seed (which they should be btw). What doesn't make sense is a conference having two seeded teams and those are the only two to make it. Wouldn't only two indicate that the league is weak? If the league is week, how could you justify having two teams as Top 5 seeds? It's so backwards.

All hypothetical, I still think UND is in regardless. It just wouldn't make sense otherwise.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, AJS said:

Add this to the list of things that does not make any sense to me about UND being a bubble team as the #3 MVFC team. Hypothetically if NDSU wins on Saturday, they will be at worst the #5 seed (which they should be btw). What doesn't make sense is a conference having two seeded teams and those are the only two to make it. Wouldn't only two indicate that the league is weak? If the league is week, how could you justify having two teams as Top 5 seeds? It's so backwards.

All hypothetical, I still think UND is in regardless. It just wouldn't make sense otherwise.

On Izzo's show yesterday he, Kolpack & Herder brought up your point about NDSU being the 5 if Samford and NDSU both win this weekend, that there's a valid argument for that.  Can't assume wins this weekend, though. 

Win or lose this weekend, I can't see UND being out either.  

23 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Sure wish FCS football used something similar to the pairwise.  How does is NDSU a high seed and UND a bubble team with a tougher schedule and only 1 more loss.  Makes no sense.

Sagarin and Massey exist for this reason. But it is a little tougher to connect with fewer games. And it is inconvenient for some of the east coast conferences to find out the numbers don't agree they are quite as good as they think.

On 11/6/2022 at 2:48 PM, Shawn-O said:

Conferences should need to schedule at least 1 inter conference game apiece in a different time zone per team 

that would at least give some idea of strength of schedules 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

On Izzo's show yesterday he, Kolpack & Herder brought up your point about NDSU being the 5 if Samford and NDSU both win this weekend, that there's a valid argument for that.  Can't assume wins this weekend, though. 

Win or lose this weekend, I can't see UND being out either.  

In this particular bracket, I'd probably prefer they stay #4 so they would have to play Weber State in second round.  

On a separate note, if Big Sky only gets 3 teams in....UND needs to make a good showing so that the Big Sky isn't screaming they should have gotten more in.....and think they are the new FCS Power conference.  If NDSU played Weber State.....would be better for the Valley if NDSU won when looking forward to next year comparing Big Sky to MVFC......but I'd have to root for Weber anyway. 

2 hours ago, Kab said:

Conferences should need to schedule at least 1 inter conference game apiece in a different time zone per team 

that would at least give some idea of strength of schedules 

If you think the FCS is bad, go look at D2...and how many "SILO" conferences there are (no non-conference games of any kind).  I can think of at least three (GAC/MIAA/NSIC).  How in the heck do they evaluate the relative strength of teams in a regional playoff when they haven't played any competition outside of their conference?

We may or may not like the committee's decision come Sunday (win Saturday and we don't have to worry about it...wink wink!)...but I think the lesson here is that you can't have an off week against anyone that's not FBS or a team ending in the words "Dakota State".  There were excuses about back to back road trips when we lost to SIU...but the fact of the matter is we didn't play well and we'd really like to have that one back.  That being said...we have as strong of a resume as any of the other 7 win teams (even with a loss).  Also (just my opinion), none of the 7 win teams are going to threaten to win it all...so they should just put the teams in that can bid big to host a game and make some money for the NCAA.

Somebody called "Professor Chaos" posted this on Bisonville and I think he hit the nail on the head.  The MVFC has a bunch of middling teams that, according to the eye test, would probably win 6-8 games this year playing in the Big Sky or the SoCon (depending on who they drew for their conference schedule), but they beat themselves up during MVFC play.  Hence the solid non-conference record against FCS opponents...that should help the conference in a big way come selection Sunday (we'll see if it does).  This year there just happens to be a lot of teams with inferior competition that happened to (or will likely) get to 8 wins.  We'll see how the selection committee looks at that...I'm not holding my breath for a good result (so just win baby!).  

Playoff Talk.PNG

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, UND08 said:

Somebody called "Professor Chaos" posted this on Bisonville and I think he hit the nail on the head.  The MVFC has a bunch of middling teams that, according to the eye test, would probably win 6-8 games this year playing in the Big Sky or the SoCon (depending on who they drew for their conference schedule), but they beat themselves up during MVFC play.  Hence the solid non-conference record against FCS opponents...that should help the conference in a big way come selection Sunday (we'll see if it does).  This year there just happens to be a lot of teams with inferior competition that happened to (or will likely) get to 8 wins.  We'll see how the selection committee looks at that...I'm not holding my breath for a good result (so just win baby!).  

Playoff Talk.PNG

image.png.45e1f2c8682890663866fa9db78982f6.png

• Upvote 1

In Forum article it says UND should keep eyes on Missouri State/ Youngstown game because if Youngstown wins and we lose we would have same record as Youngstown. What would that matter since we beat them. I don’t think there is anyway if Missouri Valley gets 3 teams that we wouldn’t be the third team. Is that right?

3 minutes ago, Und246 said:

In Forum article it says UND should keep eyes on Missouri State/ Youngstown game because if Youngstown wins and we lose we would have same record as Youngstown. What would that matter since we beat them. I don’t think there is anyway if Missouri Valley gets 3 teams that we wouldn’t be the third team. Is that right?

Youngstown would have that coveted "quality loss" 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Und246 said:

Agreed. I don't see why that game matters (much). I don't see it mattering much w/ Youngstown getting in before UND. I could see wanting SIU to win to make sure they are 6-5 and don't end up with a losing record.

6 minutes ago, Und246 said:

I don't think it is as simple at we beat them so we get in above them.  I think you need to look at the whole resume.  I would think UND would still be in over Youngstown having a stronger strength of schedule.  My only worry would be if UND get blown out by NDSU and Youngstown blows out MSU.

Should be the same thing with NDSU.  If UND beats them they would jump them, with SOS, but doubt it happens.

Just now, Big Green said:

I don't think it is as simple at we beat them so we get in above them.  I think you need to look at the whole resume.  I would think UND would still be in over Youngstown having a stronger strength of schedule.  My only worry would be if UND get blown out by NDSU and Youngstown blows out SIU.

Should be the same thing with NDSU.  If UND beats them they would jump them, with SOS, but doubt it happens.

8 minutes ago, Und246 said:

Yeah, Youngstown plays Southern Illinois.  So not sure what Kolpack is talking about.  Muct have been looking at last weeks game. (Which Missouri State won)

If Youngstown wins and UND loses, they have pretty similar season:

- Both 7-4

- Both 5-3 in the MVFC

- Both with an FBS loss

- Both teams "bad losses" would be teams thatlikely finish 5-6

What pushes UND over the top is their SOS is going to be much higher than Youngstown.  Plus, oh I don't know, WE BEAT THEM!!  And on the road.

If 3 MVFC teams make the playoffs, the 3rd is almost certainly UND, no Youngstown.  (In my unbiased humble oinion :wink:)

• Upvote 1