SiouxSports.com Forum

Polls

gfhockey

I’m sure it’s been discussed here but maybe I missed it. When the committee is making the bracket they seed 1-8 and then they maybe seed the rest of the field but when determining the actual matchup they are trying to find bus trips unless maybes it’s their 9 v 10? And then once they have the field matched, the home team is determined by the bid that was previously placed for that first round?

so ive read two things that I can't understand or agree with

• somehow Youngstown jumps us??  that makes zero sense.  Even if we lose to NDSU we would have the same record as them and a win against them on the road.. That seems like a 0% chance
  • If we somehow beat the bison this weekend that they would still be ranked ahead of us.  Again.. we would have the same record and a victory against them on the road.

Neither of those make any sense to me.. I give them both 0%..

29 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Herder thinks UND could be a seed if they win, but thinks they are on the bubble if they lose? Something doesn’t add up!

I think UND is safe, but winning this game would be huge for the playoffs if we snag the 8 seed and get a bye!

Yep, something doesn’t add up alright. 7-2 against the FCS and one of the losses to the #1 team in the country. Screams bubble team to me….

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I would discourage anyone from ever listening to or reading something from McFeely, regardless of whether it's positive for UND this time.

He's on Izzo's podcast every week (tuesday I think) and they've been nothing but supportive of UND for a large majority of this season.  Not a big deal...I don't even like the guy honestly...just sayin.

4 hours ago, wheelsup said:

so ive read two things that I can't understand or agree with

• somehow Youngstown jumps us??  that makes zero sense.  Even if we lose to NDSU we would have the same record as them and a win against them on the road.. That seems like a 0% chance
  • If we somehow beat the bison this weekend that they would still be ranked ahead of us.  Again.. we would have the same record and a victory against them on the road.

Neither of those make any sense to me.. I give them both 0%..

Literally ridiculous when you think about it.  UND and NDSU would have FBS loss, a loss to Jackrabbits, and UND would have head to head.  

What I'm wondering if UND wins is if there's gonna be a rematch asap.

15 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

Literally ridiculous when you think about it.  UND and NDSU would have FBS loss, a loss to Jackrabbits, and UND would have head to head.  

Yes, but wouldn't think asap.
They would think the UND win was some anomaly. 
With that theory goes NDSU still placed higher.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

UND wins, gets seeded, NDSU has to play on Thansgiving weekend, if they win they come to the Alerus Center!!  Now that would be pretty good!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND wins, gets seeded, NDSU has to play on Thansgiving weekend, if they win they come to the Alerus Center!!  Now that would be pretty good!!

If UND wins;
the committee righteously, fairly, justly, & etc. should be working on your scenario.
Important to understand, even tough the NCAA took the Scotch Whiskey and Cigars out of the room from the selection committee, they still left the ambiguous decision possibilities in the equation.

While I understand that those on the committee must leave the room when their team is being discussed, not a huge fan of Montana's AD being on the committee. They've played their tough games close but their wins have come over teams with records of 2-8, 1-9, 1-9, 4-6, 2-8, 3-7, 4-6 with South Dakota being their best win.

If they win the Brawl on Saturday, they should obviously be in. If they lose, I don't see how their resume is any better than UND's, unless style points in quality losses is back in play (and maybe both have a case to be in).

On 11/16/2022 at 12:47 PM, sioux24/7 said:

I’m sure it’s been discussed here but maybe I missed it. When the committee is making the bracket they seed 1-8 and then they maybe seed the rest of the field but when determining the actual matchup they are trying to find bus trips unless maybes it’s their 9 v 10? And then once they have the field matched, the home team is determined by the bid that was previously placed for that first round?

Step 0: A few weeks ago, all interested teams submitted bids for every round. 

Step 1: (Tonight)The 24 teams are selected first.

Step 2: The 8 seeds are chosen. (start with #1, work down to #8) There is no seeding of any sort beyond the top 8.

Step 3: Matchups are chosen firstly based on geography. The target is around 350 miles or less for driving. Anything over that becomes a plane trip. The committee is tasked by rule to create as many drivable first and second round games as possible. So they might matchup two nearby schools, then send the winner to a nearby seeded team. Or they might pair a strong team against a weak team in the first round, then send the winner to a seeded team near the strong team, assuming the strong team will win the first game and then be drivable to the second round(this could apply to you guys - if you're selected, you might be paired against the Pioneer autobid winner and then sent to Fargo or Brookings in the second round). Only other rules are that conference mates that have played each other this season as a conference game cannot be matched up in the first round, and that there's a limit to overloading one side of the bracket with teams of the same conference in certain situations.

Step 4: Bids are opened and game sites are determined.

• Upvote 3