SiouxSports.com Forum

Polls

gfhockey

50 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You’re so lost. Fallacies non-stop from you. 

I tell it how it is. You won’t find a bigger UND football supporter, but I’m also realistic so I state what I think needs to change in order to take the next step. It’s called being proactive. Oh, and knowledgeable. 

“Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.”
- Albert Einstein 

So you can stop it any second. We all want the same thing, or at least I thought you supported UND. 

Go Hawks! Let’s get it this time, Bubba.

The Einsten quote was cool......the first time our sales manager used it back in 1998. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You’re so lost. Fallacies non-stop from you. 

I tell it how it is. You won’t find a bigger UND football supporter, but I’m also realistic so I state what I think needs to change in order to take the next step. It’s called being proactive. Oh, and knowledgeable. 

“Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.”
- Albert Einstein 

So you can stop it any second. We all want the same thing, or at least I thought you supported UND. 

Go Hawks! Let’s get it this time, Bubba.

That is not the definition of insanity, and Albert Einstein never said it was. The specific wording you used comes from a Narcotics Anonymous pamphlet from 1981.

It's long past time for this stupid factoid to die.

• Upvote 1

How the he!! can a team that is 5 - 2 in the MVFC and 7 - 3 overall with an FBS loss (yes, I know it’s Nebraska, but come on - they are B1G) be ranked 23? Not to mention, having one of the toughest schedules is FCS!

iirc, someone (maybe it was Sica) said that the coach’s poll is the one used by the committee to set the playoff field. If UND is 23 before the NDSU game, the Hawks must win to make the playoffs. It doesn’t seem to matter that UND will be 7 - 4 in the toughest conference in FCS. The only solution is to WIN and be 8 - 3.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Coaches: 23rd

STATS: 16th

Athlon: 15th

Massey: 11th

I've been so hyper focused on what has happened in the MVFC the last few weeks, where for UND everything has kind of broken correctly. Going into the last week from a national perspective, they can do no worse than 3rd in the make the playoffs pecking order. Can someone explain what has happened where being a 3rd ranked MVFC team with at worse a 7-4 overall record (7-3 FCS) doesn't leave them as a lock? Non-conference records. SDSU (2-0 FCS), NDSU (2-0 FCS), UND (2-0 FCS), Youngstown (2-0 Non-FBS), Illinois State (2-0 FCS), Missouri State (2-0 FCS), USD (1-1 FCS), UNI (1-1 FCS / Loss #2 Sac State), ISU-Blue (1-1 FCS), SIU (0-2 FCS / FBS win), Western Illinois (0-2 FCS). By my total that's 15-7 overall. Two of those losses (UNI / SIU were to current Top 5 teams). Is this all about SIU losing to SEMO? Were none of the 15 wins quality? Just so strange.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, zonadub said:

How the he!! can a team that is 5 - 2 in the MVFC and 7 - 3 overall with an FBS loss (yes, I know it’s Nebraska, but come on - they are B1G) be ranked 23? Not to mention, having one of the toughest schedules is FCS!

iirc, someone (maybe it was Sica) said that the coach’s poll is the one used by the committee to set the playoff field. If UND is 23 before the NDSU game, the Hawks must win to make the playoffs. It doesn’t seem to matter that UND will be 7 - 4 in the toughest conference in FCS. The only solution is to WIN and be 8 - 3.

In the interview with Sam Herder, the head guy of the Selection Committee listed the Coaches Poll on the list of numerous resources the committee can use - it was not near the top. SOS was actually among the first things he listed. He said that if a team is ranked when you beat them it goes into your resume as a ranked team win, but if that team collapses they also take that into consideration on the back side. He also said that playing a FBS team is a no lose situation - it doesn't count against you if you lose, but if you beat them it counts for you. So based on what he said right now UND is 7-2 in the eyes of the committee and will be either 8-2 or 7-3. Of course we know from previous experience that discussions are held behind closed doors and deals are made. Still being the lone #3 in the MVFC whether is it 8-3 or 7-4 with a top 10 SOS bodes well.  

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

Coaches: 23rd

STATS: 16th

Athlon: 15th

Massey: 11th

I've been so hyper focused on what has happened in the MVFC the last few weeks, where for UND everything has kind of broken correctly. Going into the last week from a national perspective, they can do no worse than 3rd in the make the playoffs pecking order. Can someone explain what has happened where being a 3rd ranked MVFC team with at worse a 7-4 overall record (7-3 FCS) doesn't leave them as a lock? Non-conference records. SDSU (2-0 FCS), NDSU (2-0 FCS), UND (2-0 FCS), Youngstown (2-0 Non-FBS), Illinois State (2-0 FCS), Missouri State (2-0 FCS), USD (1-1 FCS), UNI (1-1 FCS / Loss #2 Sac State), ISU-Blue (1-1 FCS), SIU (0-2 FCS / FBS win), Western Illinois (0-2 FCS). By my total that's 15-7 overall. Two of those losses (UNI / SIU were to current Top 5 teams). Is this all about SIU losing to SEMO? Were none of the 15 wins quality? Just so strange.

Nailed it

Win and in on Saturday, but listening to Herder on Izzo's show, if UND were to lose, are the other three most important results for UND the following?

• SEMO wins the coin toss against UT Martin and gets the OVC auto bid
    • UT Martin wins there goes one at large
  • Sac State needs to beat UC Davis
    • UC Davis in with win
  • Montana State needs to beat Montana
    • Montana win and lock. Like UND would be on the fence with a loss, but I think UND would be slotted if both were 7-4

Any other games stick out?

Here are the teams who could finish 7-4 or better:

Big Sky( 4-6 get in)

Sac st 10-0

montana st 9-1

weber state 8-2

uc Davis 6-4

idaho 6-4

Montana 7-3

Big South (1 gets in)

NC AT

CAA (3-6 get in)

W&M 9-1

UNH 7-3

Richmond 8-2

Elon 8-3

Delaware 7-3

U Rhode I 6-4

MVFC (2-4 get in)

SDSU 10-1

NDSU 8-2

UND 7-3

YSU 6-4

Northeast (1 get in)

Merrimack 8-2

St Francis 8-2

Ohio Valley (1-2 get in)

SEMO 8-2

UT Martin 6-4

Patriot League (1-2 get in)

Holy Cross (10-0)

Fordham(8-2)

Pioneer ( 1 AQ gets in)

Southern (2-4 get in)

Samford 9-1

Furman8-2

Chattanooga 7-3

Mercer 7-3

Southland ( 2 get in)

IW 9-2

SE LA 7-3

SWAC (0-1 get in)

Florida AM 8-2

30 total teams ( the committee needs to pick 6 teams to leave out)

FCS is a joke if they leave out UND….

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, AJS said:

Win and in on Saturday, but listening to Herder on Izzo's show, if UND were to lose, are the other three most important results for UND the following?

• SEMO wins the coin toss against UT Martin and gets the OVC auto bid
    • UT Martin wins there goes one at large
  • Sac State needs to beat UC Davis
    • UC Davis in with win
  • Montana State needs to beat Montana
    • Montana win and lock. Like UND would be on the fence with a loss, but I think UND would be slotted if both were 7-4

Any other games stick out?

The thing that pisses me off about all this is that it has been assumed that NDSU has been in for the last couple weeks.  If they would would have lost to SIU and to UND that would be 7-4 with a worse SOS than UND, but guarantee they would be in based on prior years results.

Even with a UND win on Saturday I don't think they jump NDSU in the Polls and probably not in the playoff seedings.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Here are the teams who could finish 7-4 or better:

Big Sky( 4-6 get in)

Sac st 10-0

montana st 9-1

weber state 8-2

uc Davis 6-4

idaho 6-4

Montana 7-3

Big South (1 gets in)

NC AT

CAA (3-6 get in)

W&M 9-1

UNH 7-3

Richmond 8-2

Elon 8-3

Delaware 7-3

U Rhode I 6-4

MVFC (2-4 get in)

SDSU 10-1

NDSU 8-2

UND 7-3

YSU 6-4

Northeast (1 get in)

Merrimack 8-2

St Francis 8-2

Ohio Valley (1-2 get in)

SEMO 8-2

UT Martin 6-4

Patriot League (1-2 get in)

Holy Cross (10-0)

Fordham(8-2)

Pioneer ( 1 AQ gets in)

Southern (2-4 get in)

Samford 9-1

Furman8-2

Chattanooga 7-3

Mercer 7-3

Southland ( 2 get in)

IW 9-2

SE LA 7-3

SWAC (0-1 get in)

Florida AM 8-2

30 total teams ( the committee needs to pick 6 teams to leave out)

FCS is a joke if they leave out UND….

Me lazy and have only my phone 

I like your format - anyway you would lay who they play this weekend and what their record is in your format?

On 11/7/2022 at 12:32 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

The NCAA could make a lot more money $$$ if they put UND up against some southern team! UND vs MT is big bidder against big bidder

There have been a lot of comments about the NCAA being overly greedy and I fully agree.  However, they aren't going to make much $ on the FCS FB playoffs.  The NCAA picks up the following expenses of the visiting team (a total of 130 in the travel party with a maximum of 64 players. 145 & 70 for the semis and finals): 

• Transportation costs for 130 people.  Interestingly, the NCAA forces schools to use a specific travel agency - probably a good idea.
  • Hotel costs for all in the traveling party.  They do want one hotel with at least 60 double-double rooms along with adequate meeting rooms, etc.
  • Per diem of $150 per person.  

If the travel requires air travel and a night or two in a hotel, this adds up to a ton of $.  You can see why they want to match up teams in fairly close proximity when they can.

Below are couple of paragraphs from the FCS Championship Manual.  See my comments in bold. 

2. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75% of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:

First round – $30,000

Second round – $40,000

Quarterfinals – $50,000

Semifinals – $60,000

3. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the higher-seeded teams.  This reads odd to me.  For example:  a third-round game and Team X is a higher seed than their opponent.  If Team X bids $50,000 and their opponent's bid is $62,000 with both schools meeting the criteria in No. 4 below, Team X would win the bid as they met the "minimum financial guarantee".  That isn't how it works but that is how it reads to me!  

4. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows:

(1) quality of facility

(2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts 

(3) attendance history and potential

(4) team’s performance (i.e., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents)

(5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel and missed class time)

No's. 1-3 are certainly important, but I am surprised that the team's performance is the 4th most important criteria!

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

3. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the higher-seeded teams.  This reads odd to me.  For example:  a third-round game and Team X is a higher seed than their opponent.  If Team X bids $50,000 and their opponent's bid is $62,000 with both schools meeting the criteria in No. 4 below, Team X would win the bid as they met the "minimum financial guarantee".  That isn't how it works but that is how it reads to me!  

I think #3 just means that a higher seed cant be outbid in the seeded rounds.  The first round is all unseeded teams and after that as long as the higher seeded teams at least submit a qualifying bid they get to host the home games.  Otherwise the school with more money would always host regardless of their seed. 

I think this happened quite a few years back to NDSU's benefit.. the higher seeded team didnt submit a bid or something and the bison were able to host a playoff game that they werent supposed to have

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Me lazy and have only my phone 

I like your format - anyway you would lay who they play this weekend and what their record is in your format?

Ha this was hard enough on my phone! There are some matchups in the CAA, Southern,  Big Sky that could drop each conference by 2 teams. Some of those teams in the conference only have ranked wins against teams in their own conference. Most of the ranked teams are in the Southern, Big Sky and CAA. Not so much in the MVFC but that’s because the top 3 teams won a ton of games. UND SOS will be their best friend.

• Upvote 1