SiouxSports.com Forum

cberkas

51 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

Quinn and Hastings were the assistant coaches in the 2005 World Jrs in GF (Sandelin head coach).  They both got along very well and there was a lot of respect between them.

I think any large program would be silly to not include him as a potential replacement. Now, the question is, what does "in the mix" mean? He may have zero ambition to go to Boston, but he can still be "in the mix" and they chase him.

To be clear, I have no inside knowledge about his intentions. I believe he's very happy in Kato and don't think he will go anywhere, but it wouldn't shock me either. A blue blood progam and opportunity would be tough to pass up. The question for a guy like him is whether he wants to be the guy that builds a top flight program or a guy that was a caretaker of a top flight program.

2 hours ago, bale31 said:

I think any large program would be silly to not include him as a potential replacement. Now, the question is, what does "in the mix" mean? He may have zero ambition to go to Boston, but he can still be "in the mix" and they chase him.

To be clear, I have no inside knowledge about his intentions. I believe he's very happy in Kato and don't think he will go anywhere, but it wouldn't shock me either. A blue blood progam and opportunity would be tough to pass up. The question for a guy like him is whether he wants to be the guy that builds a top flight program or a guy that was a caretaker of a top flight program.

BU has a similar "one of us" mentality to the Gophers where alum only want fellow alum. He'd be the first non-alum in ages. 

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

A dear friend of mine who works for the CC hockey program gave me the UND banner that hung in the Broadmoor World Arena for over twenty seasons of Tiger hockey! I was and am so appreciative! Now, if I could convince my wife to let me hang it in our master bedroom…

D3224DF9-5DDB-4EFD-827F-3C36F2DA5CB9.jpeg

9998693B-95C4-4A8E-803A-BEB95C1A27F0.jpeg

Good for you G!! Talk about a one-of-a-kind! Thanks for sharing the pics, and please let us know where that beauty ends up. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Good for you G!! Talk about a one-of-a-kind! Thanks for sharing the pics, and please let us know where that beauty ends up. 

Thanks!

Likely hanging in the garage! But that’s okay-I have some smaller UND banners I plan on hanging out there too.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:44 AM, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

Seriously is the NCAA gonna make ASU find a conference already or just keep letting them schedule whatever they want and have tons of rest before the tournament if they make it?

The NCAA can't make them do anything. A conference has to accept them. I suppose they pressure, but in the end a conference has to want and accept a team. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/college-hockey-coaches-hear-about-the-potential-transformation-of-ncaa-sports

Lot of changes being discussed at the coaches convention:

The possibilities on the table could significantly change college athletics. They include:

1. No scholarship limits (the Division-I limit currently is 18).

2. No limits on the number of full-time coaches on staff (it's currently three).

3. Unlimited player transfers without having to sit out a year (players currently can transfer once without having to sit out).

These changes would definitely benefit the bigger "blue blood" programs compared to the smaller.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/college-hockey-coaches-hear-about-the-potential-transformation-of-ncaa-sports

These changes would definitely benefit the bigger "blue blood" programs compared to the smaller.

NIL and the portal are both the benefit of the bigger blue bloods. Small and mid sized schools will end up to be the farm system via division 2 and 3. Five years from now we will start to see the slide.

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

Will we be able to pay for these? 

we know the big schools can and will

I see Schlossman said that all the 16 teams in the NCAA tournament would have been the same if they didn't have overtime and the teams ended in a tie in regulation.    So the question is that a good thing?   I would rather have a system in which if you won in overtime, it would actually mean something.  However I wouldn't want 3 on 3 to determine that right away.   How about a 3 minute overtime 5 on 5 with a full win on the line, then 3 on 3 for 3 minutes for the 55%-45% scenario.   At least that way if you tie it up late, you still have an opportunity to get a full win out of it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I see Schlossman said that all the 16 teams in the NCAA tournament would have been the same if they didn't have overtime and the teams ended in a tie in regulation.    So the question is that a good thing?   I would rather have a system in which if you won in overtime, it would actually mean something.  However I wouldn't want 3 on 3 to determine that right away.   How about a 3 minute overtime 5 on 5 with a full win on the line, then 3 on 3 for 3 minutes for the 55%-45% scenario.   At least that way if you tie it up late, you still have an opportunity to get a full win out of it. 

Just go back to the old system.  Five minute 5x5 overtime.  Win and it counts as a full win.  Still tied after OT then leave it as a tie.  Otherwise, if they really feel that there can be no ties then give a 3x3 OT full weight, 100% win.  Stop confusing everything where a win (or loss) is really just a tie. 

• Upvote 4

On 4/24/2022 at 8:13 AM, ksixpack said:

Quinn and Hastings were the assistant coaches in the 2005 World Jrs in GF (Sandelin head coach).  They both got along very well and there was a lot of respect between them.

MNSU gave him a 10 year contract extension in 2017, that is on top an 8 year extension in 2015, I'm not sure how that works but I guess he's locked in till at Least 2027. Plus he has a family with kids, would be pretty hard for him to uproot from a program that he basically built up and move his family to such a different environment.

31 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

MNSU gave him a 10 year contract extension in 2017, that is on top an 8 year extension in 2015, I'm not sure how that works but I guess he's locked in till at Least 2027. Plus he has a family with kids, would be pretty hard for him to uproot from a program that he basically built up and move his family to such a different environment.

A big time program would just pay the “buyout” number and hire him. I wonder what the buyout is for his contract at Mankato.

2 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Maybe he’s locked until 2033!

23 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

We didn’t want him!!

So if Minnesota asks your boy Jimmy Clark to play junior hockey another year after next year, does that mean they don’t want him?   What about your other boy Shaugabay, if Duluth tells him to play another year of juniors after high school?  Smpl qustion!

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, tnt said:

So if Minnesota asks your boy Jimmy Clark to play junior hockey another year after next year, does that mean they don’t want him?   What about your other boy Shaugabay, if Duluth tells him to play another year of juniors after high school?  Smpl qustion!

It goes back to an old fashion cliché no one player is bigger than the program. You play for the team on the front, not the player on the back. If your coach asks you to play another year of junior. You have two choices. Play junior hockey or go somewhere else. A coach can also decide, you know what, I don't want anything to do with this player and move on. I am going to trust a coach over a player.  Also, Berry and staff pick players based on character and talent.