SiouxSports.com Forum

cberkas

Well, Congrats to Denver on #9 better then the B1G getting one

Does the NCHC go on a run again for National Titles

Does Denver repeat like they tend to do?

UND gets # 9 :)

Does Omaha finally make it to the Final Faceoff?

How many new teams make an announcement before Illinois next season?

Good questions. I don't see an NCHC team not named UND or DU winning it next year. DU will lose a bunch of players but they are young and there is the portal. UND will have a mix of experience and new guys with a lot of potential. And didn't Illinois announce they were going D1 about 57 years ago? Ironically, I have seen exactly two club games in my life. One was a couple years ago. Care to guess ^ what team I saw in about 1975?

10 hours ago, cberkas said:

Well, Congrats to Denver on #9 better then the B1G getting one

Does the NCHC go on a run again for National Titles

Does Denver repeat like they tend to do?

UND gets # 9 :)

Does Omaha finally make it to the Final Faceoff?

How many new teams make an announcement before Illinois next season?

1.  A very good possibility.

2. I don't think so.  Chrona and a few others likely to sign.  I think we've seen the last of Brink-Guttman-Savoie.  Wright gone too. 

3.  A lot of the pieces in place.  Should be a favorite.

4. Nope.

5. The age old question....nobody knows....

Will the NCHC go on a run?

Probably, because the league attracts quality.   But, there's a lot of uncertainty in goal, which I know is the most important position in hockey because Barry Melrose told me last night.  We may start 22-23 with new goalies at the top 6 teams from 21-22.   Hrenak - gone.  Driscoll - gone.  Saville - gone.  Brandon Bussi - gone.  Fanti - gone. Chrona - probably gone (but who knows).

I expect the East to be improved.  They were hurt this year by their 20-21 (panic) season cancellations or vast cuts in games played.  

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some coaching changes.

The most visible is at Michigan, where Mel Pearson is facing investigations, his contract has expired, and they haven't announced anything.

I wonder when someone comes calling for Todd Knott from MSU Mankato; his recruiting eye and relationship skills have filled the roster with late bloomers.  (Reminds me of UND in the late 1990's.)

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/local_sports/knotts-recruiting-chops-have-shaped-msu/article_263b5c6a-b570-11ec-be3d-df432729c2f4.html

At Notre Dame, Jeff Jackson is 67 years old.   Just sayin'.

At BC, Jerry York is 77.  Just sayin'.

Wisconsin is due for another revamp (years of underperforming), but perhaps it's just an assistant or two.

1 minute ago, farce poobah said:

The most visible is at Michigan, where Mel Pearson is facing investigations, his contract has expired, and they haven't announced anything.

I wonder when someone comes calling for Todd Knott from MSU Mankato; his recruiting eye and relationship skills have filled the roster with late bloomers.  (Reminds me of UND in the late 1990's.)

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/local_sports/knotts-recruiting-chops-have-shaped-msu/article_263b5c6a-b570-11ec-be3d-df432729c2f4.html

Wisconsin is due for another revamp (years of underperforming), but perhaps it's just an assistant or two.

Maybe why UND locked down its staff when it did? 

Knott has to be way up some lists. Sandelin’s assistants have to be eyed also. 

And Wisconsin has become a dumpster fire, on a barge floating down a burning river. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Maybe why UND locked down its staff when it did? 

Knott has to be way up some lists. Sandelin’s assistants have to be eyed also. 

And Wisconsin has become a dumpster fire, on a barge floating down a burning river. 

And what about Hastings? He seems very content at Mankato but could he be lured away?? 

8 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

In 2017, they locked him down to a 10 year contract.   

Not sure if he has any out clause, that would enable him to leave early.

I wonder, what is the current level of patience among Omaha Mavericks faithful with Gabinet? Does he still deserve more time? Or has he had enough time where he and the team should’ve been making more improvement by now? 

Just wondering if after next year, if Omaha finishes bottom half again, could it be curtains for Gabinet and would they reach out to Hastings? 

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

Knott was in the mix for St. Thomas and he is the guy they should've hired but they went with Blasi.

I think it would have to be the right job for him as he is very content in Mankato. Not sure he would go out east even for a big time job. I wonder about Bemidji with it being his alma mater, family in the area, and Serratore getting up their in age. Think it would depend on how $$$ committed Bemidji is.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I wonder, what is the current level of patience among Omaha Mavericks faithful with Gabinet? Does he still deserve more time? Or has he had enough time where he and the team should’ve been making more improvement by now? 

Just wondering if after next year, if Omaha finishes bottom half again, could it be curtains for Gabinet and would they reach out to Hastings? 

Omaha is interesting.    They have a lot of institutional experience - Gabinet played there, Mike Kemp is still on staff (their first coach), Asst Coach Dave Noel-Bernier is an "original Maverick".  Gabinet was groomed by Kemp and Blais to replace Blais.  Since I have high regard for Blais ability to assess talent (he tapped Hakstol, after all, and hired Brad Berry 20+ years ago), I wonder about Omaha's assistant coaches, and whether they should get more non-UNO thinking. 

Bottom line - they should be better than they have been.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Are his players leaving a sinking ship or is it part of his master plan to clean house? Gabinet is not well liked by anyone it seems.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mattim said:

Are his players leaving a sinking ship or is it part of his master plan to clean house? Gabinet is not well liked by anyone it seems.

I struggle with this thinking, he had 4 go pro (1 of which was a senior and 3 juniors), Roden is really the only loss. Lost 4 grad students. Primeau under performed and is getting too old to sign a pro deal anywhere. Harrison got his second concussion and hung it up. Gabinet has done some immature things among his peers, but the Mannino thing was not on him. My understanding was that Mannino stole some recruits and deleted the recruiting files when he left in the middle of the night. I’ve listened to his pressers, sounds like a decent (and respectful) individual.

14 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Knott was in the mix for St. Thomas and he is the guy they should've hired but they went with Blasi.

I think it would have to be the right job for him as he is very content in Mankato. Not sure he would go out east even for a big time job. I wonder about Bemidji with it being his alma mater, family in the area, and Serratore getting up their in age. Think it would depend on how $$$ committed Bemidji is.

Augustina might be a landing spot for Knott

21 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

I really am surprised Knott hasn't gotten his shot yet. He is a heck of a talent and we are lucky to have him. I think at this point, he's got to take any job he gets an opportunity for...although I'm not sure if I would want to start a program like Augustana. I know everyone thinks that's a good job, but that's gonna be a hard one to recruit to even if the Stampede are there. Make no mistake though, whoever gets him will be successful in relatively short order. He is a grinder just like Hastings and from everything I've seen, he's the key to recruiting. They know what they want and they get the kids they want and it's been pretty damn successful. 

As far as Hastings goes, I can see that he and his family love Mankato. Could there be a place he decides he wants to go? I'm sure there are places he'd be willing to go, probably a couple of blue blood programs, maybe St Cloud and maybe Omaha. I know Gopher fans and commentators have mentioned him after Motzko is done, but I'm not sure that make sense as Hastings is only 4 years younger and he was only a coach there for 1 year. The fact that he left that job to go to UNO speaks volumes to me as far as how he enjoyed it. I'm not sure how connected he is to SCSU even though he started out there, but that's probably not in the cards as Larson seems pretty much rooted there. Maybe Omaha, but he doesn't really have that much connection to the SCHOOL. The city he does, but not the school as he was only there for 3 years. There could be an opportunity at Michigan or Wisconsin. I have to admit those would be some pretty good opprotunities. 

I really do think the conference affiliation is the wild card for him. The rumor I heard is that when the CCHA re-formed MSU told the league that if the opportunity to join the NCHC came about that we would make the jump. I also have heard that the only reason that MSU didn't get in last time is because ASIU didn't have their crap together. Does that change now that more schools are adding hockey and ASU seems to have their arena situation figured out? I dunno. If MSU is in the NCHC, it may not be on the level of Michigan or Wisconsin, but it is a much smaller step down. 

Now, if that doesn't happen, I still think Hastings is relatively content in Mankato. At this point, they have the program reloading and not rebuilding. He's gone through 2 groups of players that people didn't know if we could replace and ended up in the FF two years in a row. Is starting over something that he'd want to do? I dunno. He's got it pretty good. The city and school love him. He's gotten everything that he's asked for from the school. He's winning at the highest level. He's got a bunch of former players that are now coaches in developmental leagues that are starting to serve as feeders to the program. He's got 5 years left on his contract and I saw yesterday the first reporter suggesting maybe they will need to/want to rip it up and sign another long term deal. I'm not sure what to think as I can understand why he may want to go elsewhere, but I can also understand wanting to be the guy that built a program and put it on top.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I saw BU fans on USCHO bring up Hastings after Albie O'Connell was cut loose. I put that potential as "approaching zero". 

Yeah, I don't see him going to the east coast, but never say never. It would have to be a heck of an opportunity and I'm not sure anyone outside of BC or BU would fit that bill. Even then, I'm not so sure. Being in a large city is an acquired taste and often times that aspect of things gets overlooked....so do family situations.

8 hours ago, bale31 said:

I really am surprised Knott hasn't gotten his shot yet. He is a heck of a talent and we are lucky to have him. I think at this point, he's got to take any job he gets an opportunity for...although I'm not sure if I would want to start a program like Augustana. I know everyone thinks that's a good job, but that's gonna be a hard one to recruit to even if the Stampede are there. Make no mistake though, whoever gets him will be successful in relatively short order. He is a grinder just like Hastings and from everything I've seen, he's the key to recruiting. They know what they want and they get the kids they want and it's been pretty damn successful. 

As far as Hastings goes, I can see that he and his family love Mankato. Could there be a place he decides he wants to go? I'm sure there are places he'd be willing to go, probably a couple of blue blood programs, maybe St Cloud and maybe Omaha. I know Gopher fans and commentators have mentioned him after Motzko is done, but I'm not sure that make sense as Hastings is only 4 years younger and he was only a coach there for 1 year. The fact that he left that job to go to UNO speaks volumes to me as far as how he enjoyed it. I'm not sure how connected he is to SCSU even though he started out there, but that's probably not in the cards as Larson seems pretty much rooted there. Maybe Omaha, but he doesn't really have that much connection to the SCHOOL. The city he does, but not the school as he was only there for 3 years. There could be an opportunity at Michigan or Wisconsin. I have to admit those would be some pretty good opprotunities. 

I really do think the conference affiliation is the wild card for him. The rumor I heard is that when the CCHA re-formed MSU told the league that if the opportunity to join the NCHC came about that we would make the jump. I also have heard that the only reason that MSU didn't get in last time is because ASIU didn't have their crap together. Does that change now that more schools are adding hockey and ASU seems to have their arena situation figured out? I dunno. If MSU is in the NCHC, it may not be on the level of Michigan or Wisconsin, but it is a much smaller step down. 

Now, if that doesn't happen, I still think Hastings is relatively content in Mankato. At this point, they have the program reloading and not rebuilding. He's gone through 2 groups of players that people didn't know if we could replace and ended up in the FF two years in a row. Is starting over something that he'd want to do? I dunno. He's got it pretty good. The city and school love him. He's gotten everything that he's asked for from the school. He's winning at the highest level. He's got a bunch of former players that are now coaches in developmental leagues that are starting to serve as feeders to the program. He's got 5 years left on his contract and I saw yesterday the first reporter suggesting maybe they will need to/want to rip it up and sign another long term deal. I'm not sure what to think as I can understand why he may want to go elsewhere, but I can also understand wanting to be the guy that built a program and put it on top.

Aside from salary considerations, is Omaha a better coaching job than Mankato? IMO, at this point, Mankato>Omaha.