Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

cberkas
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, gfhockey said:

We didn’t want him!!

Just curious who you would have wanted to leave out this year if we had brought Spicer in? I don't follow the recruiting close enough to know. All of the incoming guys sound like they will be impactful.

For me, I do kind of question bringing back both Hain and Senden over a kid like Spicer. Both have experience with is huge. Hain is a nice player, and Senden fills his role well, but Hain also has had the injury issues. If he comes back and can't perform or gets injured again, it won't look like a good gamble for not losing out on Spicer.

Thoughts?

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Just curious who you would have wanted to leave out this year if we had brought Spicer in? I don't follow the recruiting close enough to know. All of the incoming guys sound like they will be impactful.

For me, I do kind of question bringing back both Hain and Senden over a kid like Spicer. Both have experience with is huge. Hain is a nice player, and Senden fills his role well, but Hain also has had the injury issues. If he comes back and can't perform or gets injured again, it won't look like a good gamble for not losing out on Spicer.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that the coaches didn't think he was ready, and don't know if they would have brought him in regardless of Hain and Senden staying.  If he wasn't ready and had to sit, I imagine he or the people advising him would tell him to enter the transfer portal after a year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2022 at 11:35 AM, gfhockey said:

This is why I think midco may leave und hockey or low bid then 

Or it could help to increase interest in college hockey among casual fans in South Dakota.  Those who become interested in College Hockey as a result of Augi adding hockey will now be more likely to tune into UND as well.  More college hockey exposure in SD could increase total viewership for UND games, and Augi hockey will probably never be popular enough to match the viewership/demand of UND hockey.  Midco will still needs UND Hockey to help build and maintain market share in ND, as they will still need to compete with other cable providers in ND, AND they no longer have NDSU basketball to fall back on.  UND is now their only exposure to D1 athletics in North Dakota, so UND may have a little bit more leverage with the rights to NDSU locked up for 10 years.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Just curious who you would have wanted to leave out this year if we had brought Spicer in? I don't follow the recruiting close enough to know. All of the incoming guys sound like they will be impactful.

For me, I do kind of question bringing back both Hain and Senden over a kid like Spicer. Both have experience with is huge. Hain is a nice player, and Senden fills his role well, but Hain also has had the injury issues. If he comes back and can't perform or gets injured again, it won't look like a good gamble for not losing out on Spicer.

Thoughts?

Ness 

 

rather have 3-4 years of spicer then two more of ness

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Ness 

 

rather have 3-4 years of spicer then two more of ness

Guess that's what happened to you in the GOBC.  Plenty of better guys came along and they cast you aside to make room.  Guess we can all understand now why you seem to be so clueless on the inside scoop.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Ness 

 

rather have 3-4 years of spicer then two more of ness

I respect and admire the Spicer family and all past Sioux players. From the impression I’ve gained reading posts on this subject, Cole felt he was in the same league as Jonathon Toews. If he truly was/is, we’d only have gotten one or two years from him, not 3 and certainly not 4. It is really too bad that he made this hasty decision. He did not get good advice or he received good advice and chose to not listen.  I wish him well as do most of you. As for his scoring where he’s playing now, I’m happy for him but it does not translate into scoring at the next level. Ness will produce, he won’t be the first player to need a year or two to reach his potential, we don’t want to invest this amount of coaching and playing time and then tell him good bye. Ness being told to leave only to start scoring for a different team would be worse than if Spicer does that. It would be good to know who gets scholarship money or how much, but I would have to agree that Ness is likely not receiving much if any. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Just curious who you would have wanted to leave out this year if we had brought Spicer in? I don't follow the recruiting close enough to know. All of the incoming guys sound like they will be impactful.

For me, I do kind of question bringing back both Hain and Senden over a kid like Spicer. Both have experience with is huge. Hain is a nice player, and Senden fills his role well, but Hain also has had the injury issues. If he comes back and can't perform or gets injured again, it won't look like a good gamble for not losing out on Spicer.

Thoughts?

I guess I semi-agree. Bringing Hain and Senden back doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't bring in Spicer. If they did that hopefully the kid knows he has to earn ice time just like anyone else. If that means he sits in the stands for a few games and decides to leave for greener pastures so be it. I don't think the possibility of Hain getting injured should be a consideration - more like 20-20 hindsight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Just curious who you would have wanted to leave out this year if we had brought Spicer in? I don't follow the recruiting close enough to know. All of the incoming guys sound like they will be impactful.

For me, I do kind of question bringing back both Hain and Senden over a kid like Spicer. Both have experience with is huge. Hain is a nice player, and Senden fills his role well, but Hain also has had the injury issues. If he comes back and can't perform or gets injured again, it won't look like a good gamble for not losing out on Spicer.

Thoughts?

*** SPOILER *** He won't respond.

18 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I guess I semi-agree. Bringing Hain and Senden back doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't bring in Spicer. If they did that hopefully the kid knows he has to earn ice time just like anyone else. If that means he sits in the stands for a few games and decides to leave for greener pastures so be it. I don't think the possibility of Hain getting injured should be a consideration - more like 20-20 hindsight.

Only way he was coming in was if we had to have him. We don't. He was going to be asked for one more year in junior either way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

*** SPOILER *** He won't respond.

Only way he was coming in was if we had to have him. We don't. He was going to be asked for one more year in junior either way.

But I did respond 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gfhockey said:

But I did respond 

Yep, I saw that. Well done! Makes me happy when you do.

I understand you're a Grand Forker through and through, but he wasn't coming in this year. Dude made his own decision. Let him go....

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, there have been rumors about Lucius (and his family) being upset at UMN for whatever reason...many thinking that he would leave or enter the portal after his freshman season.
He just signed with the Jets.
UMN lost two 1st/2nd round freshmen today alone.  :0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if this opens up the door for Spicer to stay somewhat close to home and go to UMN now.
He already has a couple teammates heading there next season and they are suddenly in need of some more forwards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Wow, there have been rumors about Lucius (and his family) being upset at UMN for whatever reason...many thinking that he would leave or enter the portal after his freshman season.
He just signed with the Jets.
UMN lost two 1st/2nd round freshmen today alone.  :0

Who was the other?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guy on GPL who apparently scooped everyone on Cooley predicted 3 negative things happening, then this:

"

Just like with Cooley, I would think most fans could figure this out. ... My reluctance to share is because it is very sensitive, as things could still change and it’s an EXTREMELY complex chain of events…which could lead to a “4th”negative.

"

Could mean the younger Lucius decommits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just like some of our fans, I love how some gopher fans are fine with Broz and Lucius leaving because of what they have coming in.  So last year, they were excited about those two but now they are all in on the incoming recruits, like it is a given they will perform so much better than a top draft pick and top USHL performer from last year.  I get it with Cooley, but the rest are not certain to be impact players right away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Just like some of our fans, I love how some gopher fans are fine with Broz and Lucius leaving because of what they have coming in.  So last year, they were excited about those two but now they are all in on the incoming recruits, like it is a given they will perform so much better than a top draft pick and top USHL performer from last year.  I get it with Cooley, but the rest are not certain to be impact players right away.

When have we unexpectedly lost two blue chips from the team on the same day? This site would crash if that happened. 

For those saying it's okay....rationalizing is a helluva of drug. This isn't Okposo leaving because his NHL team thought Dinkytown was hindering his development, but it doesn't look good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

When have we unexpectedly lost two blue chips from the team on the same day? This site would crash if that happened. 

For those saying it's okay....rationalizing is a helluva of drug. This isn't Okposo leaving because his NHL team thought Dinkytown was hindering his development, but it doesn't look good.

On the other hand, I thought they had the potential to lose Knies up front and Faber, Lacombe, and Johnson on the back end which would have been a big hit. With Koster back along with Mittlestadt coming in, their back end alone will make them favorites in the Big Ten regardless of who they lost up front.  
Just saying our fans do the same thing, thinking the new guys are the answer, when most likely it is the guys like Broz taking a step forward, having already experienced the learning curve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

When have we unexpectedly lost two blue chips from the team on the same day? This site would crash if that happened. 

For those saying it's okay....rationalizing is a helluva of drug. This isn't Okposo leaving because his NHL team thought Dinkytown was hindering his development, but it doesn't look good.

Especially unexpected blue chips.  It's one thing for Sanderson or Pinto to leave, as they had already proven that they were ready for the next level.
It's like when Jost left UND after his freshman year, I suppose.  But Jost had a better frosh year than the Gopher pair combined.

Most UMN fans would have had Lucius and Broz penciled into their 1st/2nd lines for next season...so I would definitely say it is a loss for them.
They return most of their d-corps, so they'll for sure be solid.  But they'll be relying on Knies and hoping that their freshman forwards all get acclimated right away to the NCAA game for offense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, tnt said:

On the other hand, I thought they had the potential to lose Knies up front and Faber, Lacombe, and Johnson on the back end which would have been a big hit. With Koster back along with Mittlestadt coming in, their back end alone will make them favorites in the Big Ten regardless of who they lost up front.  
Just saying our fans do the same thing, thinking the new guys are the answer, when most likely it is the guys like Broz taking a step forward, having already experienced the learning curve.

I'm guilty of doing it, when Ryan Mantha went MJ I thought it was fine because then we wouldn't have to delay Christian Evers. Hahaha whoops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

This isn't the right thread for this discussion, but Ness isn't getting any scholly money at this point, whereas a kid coming from NTDP would, so it's not a clean swap.

Is anybody on this team getting scholarship money? 18 scholarships 27 players. I still think very few are getting full 100%. From last years team I guess we have Budy and Ness that were getting nothing. I would imagine Feeney / Johnson were limited. Montgomery? Albrecht? Portz? I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't buy that Ness isn't getting any scholarship money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Is anybody on this team getting scholarship money? 18 scholarships 27 players. I still think very few are getting full 100%. From last years team I guess we have Budy and Ness that were getting nothing. I would imagine Feeney / Johnson were limited. Montgomery? Albrecht? Portz? I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't buy that Ness isn't getting any scholarship money.

If I edit the post to say little to no scholarship money, the point still stands. I based it on the knowledge that Adams had his pulled after an unproductive sophomore season. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...