SiouxSports.com Forum

cberkas

9 hours ago, AJS said:

Is anybody on this team getting scholarship money? 18 scholarships 27 players. I still think very few are getting full 100%. From last years team I guess we have Budy and Ness that were getting nothing. I would imagine Feeney / Johnson were limited. Montgomery? Albrecht? Portz? I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't buy that Ness isn't getting any scholarship money.

Still the wrong place for this but (I don’t have GF HKY or GOB information, just speculation):

8 full scholarships = 8

8      75% schollys = 6

8      50% schollys = 4

That’s 18 scholarships going to 24 players! With 3 getting nothing.

Do the math, if there are a couple more getting fulls or even 75%ers, that is more getting 0%.

Who knows, maybe some guys are getting actual scholarship money for being smart (scholars) their money may trickle down to other guys too! 

So it is not out of the question that we have 3 to 6 guys getting no money! 

So Schlossman has Casey Dornbach going to Denver, and some on GPL were hoping he would go to Minnesota.  You can’t make this stuff up.  It looks like he turns 25 in July, yet the fan base that rails on Mankato, are fine with older players as long as it suits their needs.  He would have been great alongside incoming freshmenJohn Mittlestadt who will be 21 in October, and Garrett Pinoniemi who turns 21 in July.  So I guess Minnesota does like everybody, do what is necessary to be competitive.

5 hours ago, tnt said:

So Schlossman has Casey Dornbach going to Denver, and some on GPL were hoping he would go to Minnesota.  You can’t make this stuff up.  It looks like he turns 25 in July, yet the fan base that rails on Mankato, are fine with older players as long as it suits their needs.  He would have been great alongside incoming freshmenJohn Mittlestadt who will be 21 in October, and Garrett Pinoniemi who turns 21 in July.  So I guess Minnesota does like everybody, do what is necessary to be competitive.

Well, at least until a really big game.;)

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, tnt said:

Forgot about Charlie Strobel.  If he is going to Minnesota this fall, he would be another 21 year old freshman.  Seriously, how are we not hearing about Motzko's recruiting when Mankato is evil in their pursuit of older players.  

4 hours ago, tnt said:

Forgot about Charlie Strobel.  If he is going to Minnesota this fall, he would be another 21 year old freshman.  Seriously, how are we not hearing about Motzko's recruiting when Mankato is evil in their pursuit of older players.  

I wonder do they think these guys who are going to play at this level when are 18 are still going to be underdeveloped boys? The reality is that the guys who spend a year or two in the juniors are normally doing so because they are late bloomers, if they were ready to play D-1 level hockey they would be going and not staying in the juniors, so this whole Idea that you have men playing against boys is a little ridiculous.

If only the general population had the same level of intelligence to recognize that not everyone is ready for college at age 18... I daresay a huge percentage of college student bodies would have benefited from maturing a bit before starting college.

4 hours ago, Goon said:

This is an interesting thread. 

Very interesting, and unsurprising.   

To me, looks like Eastern hockey conferences are now going through what Western conferences went through a decade ago:  a logjam, where the existing conferences are full.   (ECAC at 12 isn't going to be adding anyone, Hockey East at 11 might add one, and Atlantic Hockey is up to 11 (with Robert Morris already returning next season).  

The solution seems clear: someone out East is going to have to break off or split up.   (Or alternatively, the independents will have to gather together.)     The easiest-to-see is the western NY / Lake Erie schools (Mercyhurst, Canisius, RoMo, RIT, Niagara) who would need just one more to get a small-footprint conference with less travel expense than today.

The other observation is that conference alignments are usually multi-sport and so "friends helping friends" is pretty common.  But I don't know who will speak up for Stonehill, Utica, Long Island, Lindenwood etc.  (Augustana, with Sanford Health money talks.)

Michigan fans’ speculation seems to follow this theme:

… crickets speak for themselves. Let Coach Pearson's contract expire and the investigation results do not have to be released. Michigan fires up the search, officially, on May 1. I'd guess that AD Manuel has started the vetting process.

What we see so far, meaning no actions or statements, aligns to that speculation. 

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

UMn is now fresh out of Lucius' 

His brother Chaz signed with the WPG system last week. 

Having grown up in the same area as the Lucius kids, I have mixed feelings about the dad (a Moorhead native). He is polarizing, but known for his generosity. It'll be interesting to see if their injury issues stem from repetitive stress after playing hockey 24/7 their entire lives.