Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

cberkas
 Share

Recommended Posts

Pandolfo? 

7b4e49dc9ce02bc3c593d6020e60397b.gif 

Thinking they had better options ... 

BU fans at USCHO seem relegated to this, that he was their safe "in the back pocket" choice and BU only looked half-heartedly beyond him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

BC

BU talked to both Hastings and Leaman and somehow landed on Pandalfo. 

I'm willing to bet BC talked to both of them as well, but Brown was supposedly Yowk's guy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2022 at 1:36 PM, AJS said:

With todays signings of Brisson and Bordeleau, even with an excellent Freshman class coming in, you'd think Michigan will drop to the #2 / # 3 seed range next year. Minnesota will be better next year then this year, so they are the early heavy favorites. Wait and see time with Denver and Mankato. Both would have to lose a lot (see Michigan) to take that step back. Quinnipiac is interesting as they seemingly are returning a lot, but when you look at their offensive stats, they are lacking. Incredible GAA / SV% though from the goalie tandem. I would say Minnesota / Quinnipiac / Denver / Mankato / UND would be my early Top 5.

 

Revisiting this a month later.

Minnesota was the clear cut # 1 a few weeks ago, but they definitely took a hit last week. I would put them even with UND going next year. Both still very firmly in the Top 5. Can someone give me a break down of Denver / Mankato? Denver loses their Top 2 scorers. Chrona is coming back. They have picked up the Top 2 Forwards in the portal. There still seems to be a lot of moving pieces. Guttman / Stapley? I guess it's wait and see. I would say right now though, Denver would be my #1. How about Mankato? Did they have a lot of 5th year guys? Losing McKay / Smith is huge, but do they lose anyone else? Such a weird program, it feels like they never lose a huge chunk of guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm hearing SCSU is getting four of their possible fifth-years back, and a goalie from the OJHL. 

Also really did well in the portal and have a really high end forward coming in their freshman class. As weird of a year as it was for SCSU last year and I still think talent wise, they take a step back next year, they'll still be pretty good. They'll end up in much better shape next year then I thought they would when the season originally ended (think Western next year compared to this past year). I also think Duluth will be better than I anticipated next year. Step back, yes, but still solid. I know that sounds odd as Duluth has been one of the gold standard teams, but they brought back so much this past year. The portal is definitely changing things as there really is not ever really going to be a "reset" year for the "haves" of college hockey. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, what is the transfer rule now? In the past, and maybe still, a player could transfer once. But there are players (Driscoll and Budy come to mind) that played for or will play for three teams. Is that because they went back to juniors? Is the COVID season that never was as far as eligibility goes the reason? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2022 at 3:23 PM, The Sicatoka said:

I'm hearing SCSU is getting four of their possible fifth-years back, and a goalie from the OJHL. 

On behalf of the rest of the NCHC, I'd like to thank SCSU for failing to figure out how to play well on regulation size ice.  3W - 8L - 1SOL in conference games last year.  (It's been going on a long time, but is more noticeable in years like last year where they were dominating at home, for the most part.)

Coach Larson:  "Well, we sucked last year, but the bad news is we have everyone back.  So I expect we will suck again this year. "

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2022 at 9:46 AM, AJS said:

Revisiting this a month later.

Minnesota was the clear cut # 1 a few weeks ago, but they definitely took a hit last week. I would put them even with UND going next year. Both still very firmly in the Top 5. Can someone give me a break down of Denver / Mankato? Denver loses their Top 2 scorers. Chrona is coming back. They have picked up the Top 2 Forwards in the portal. There still seems to be a lot of moving pieces. Guttman / Stapley? I guess it's wait and see. I would say right now though, Denver would be my #1. How about Mankato? Did they have a lot of 5th year guys? Losing McKay / Smith is huge, but do they lose anyone else? Such a weird program, it feels like they never lose a huge chunk of guys.

Mankato loses McNeely, Carroll, Aamodt, Smith, Maass, Napravnik, Lutz and McKay. I don't believe any of them considered a 5th year if it was available. It sounds like a handful of additional guys had opportunities to sign pro deals, but decided to come back.

There may be a transfer portal player that gets picked up (likely a goalie of there is one), but we haven't heard of any. I believe there are seven guys in next year's class.

As far as why you don't see a ton of turnover in MSU, it's realistically because most of our guys develop while at MSU and aren't necessarily highly regarded coming in. Smith is probably the exception to that, but he was drafted on potential as he played high school hockey in Florida (and was a teammate of current Maverick, Lucas Sowder). Take a look at his high school stats if you want a laugh. As the program is having more success, that seems to be slowly changing. I saw online that there are three commits in the USHL that have a decent chance to be drafted. Guys also tend to stay longer because they legitimately love playing in Kato. Hastings has told a story a couple of times now that the morning after the national championship game, Smith called Hastings to see if he would come down to the hockey offices to witness his contract signing. At something like 8 or 9 in the morning every guy on the team showed up in support. They seem to really be that close of a group and it's not just for show that they are like brothers.

I know a lot of people may roll their eyes at this, but Hastings has turned this into a Top job in college hockey. If it weren't for the fact that Bemidji played out of their ass in conference in 2017 (that was the year they played great in conference and couldn't win ooc), we would have won 8 straight conference titles. I know it's not playing the nchc or big ten schedule, but it creates an environment of likely going to the.tournament every year. Guys get to rack up wins, go to the tourney and develop into very good players. I believe if he wanted to he could have had his pick of jobs this year. I think Mankato has become very good job that many fans aren't recognizing. He gets virtually everything he asks for. He wins a lot of games. He practically walks on water in the community. It's a good place for him and the players to be.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bale31 said:

Mankato loses McNeely, Carroll, Aamodt, Smith, Maass, Napravnik, Lutz and McKay. I don't believe any of them considered a 5th year if it was available. It sounds like a handful of additional guys had opportunities to sign pro deals, but decided to come back.

There may be a transfer portal player that gets picked up (likely a goalie of there is one), but we haven't heard of any. I believe there are seven guys in next year's class.

As far as why you don't see a ton of turnover in MSU, it's realistically because most of our guys develop while at MSU and aren't necessarily highly regarded coming in. Smith is probably the exception to that, but he was drafted on potential as he played high school hockey in Florida (and was a teammate of current Maverick, Lucas Sowder). Take a look at his high school stats if you want a laugh. As the program is having more success, that seems to be slowly changing. I saw online that there are three commits in the USHL that have a decent chance to be drafted. Guys also tend to stay longer because they legitimately love playing in Kato. Hastings has told a story a couple of times now that the morning after the national championship game, Smith called Hastings to see if he would come down to the hockey offices to witness his contract signing. At something like 8 or 9 in the morning every guy on the team showed up in support. They seem to really be that close of a group and it's not just for show that they are like brothers.

I know a lot of people may roll their eyes at this, but Hastings has turned this into a Top job in college hockey. If it weren't for the fact that Bemidji played out of their ass in conference in 2017 (that was the year they played great in conference and couldn't win ooc), we would have won 8 straight conference titles. I know it's not playing the nchc or big ten schedule, but it creates an environment of likely going to the.tournament every year. Guys get to rack up wins, go to the tourney and develop into very good players. I believe if he wanted to he could have had his pick of jobs this year. I think Mankato has become very good job that many fans aren't recognizing. He gets virtually everything he asks for. He wins a lot of games. He practically walks on water in the community. It's a good place for him and the players to be.

Nice recap, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bale31 said:

Mankato loses ... Aamodt, ... Smith, ... and McKay.

Admittedly only based on like three games of my observations, that's the order of importance the losses are to that team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

First the glacier at CC went away, and now down goes Mariucci! 

Olympic ice is melting away ... 

 

 

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Good. I hate that crap.

The two changes will help visiting teams adjust, especially my favorite team.   

Less obvious than the narrower ice is the change to corner radius.  

UND PK likes to clear weak side by ringing it around the boards (where the point is usually vacated by D shifting toward the play).  And on a dump-in, we often flip it to the weak side corner and have the puck bounce into a shooting/possession position for the weak side forward.   Both of these tactics come into play with a 'flatter' corner.   

I'm sure the coaches amongst us will have other observations about how games at 3M Rink at Mariucci  The John will be different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...