SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

On 4/27/2022 at 1:06 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

down 3 scores in a playoff game with about 8 minutes left.......

going for with the lead on your own 25....

double triple reverses when you only need a couple yards to salt the game

timeouts before you run a play after halftime....

In Coaches defense, UND showed consistently last year that they didn't have the OL that could get them the couple yards needed in situations where the opponent was expecting it.  See red zone stats and failed 1 yd conversion vs NDSU for one specific example of many.  

10 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Yep 2nd and 2 or less was our kryptonite last fall.

As the trend of the tough yards continued in predictable situations I thought we'd start to see a little more play action last season.

36 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

..... but can't wait for some Fall football.

I'm getting the itch too. Enjoy college game more than NFL. I'm assuming we'll get all games except Nebraska on espn+. I'm starting to wonder how to view the Nebraska game on TV. Do I need a subscription to the Big Ten Network? Will it be on B1G+? Time will tell I suppose. 

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not sure Ghadaksaz was much of a loss as a starter either. I was never overly impressed, but I'm also not an O-Line guru.

I would agree with your Ghadaksaz assessment. Any starter of course is an important piece to the Football team, but Waletzko being on one side of the spectrum, I would but Ghadaksaz more in the serviceable / average side. To me there's two keys to the offensive line.

• Center position: By far the biggest unknown. Both at Starter / Back up. Are we looking at best someone that can be at Ghadaksaz level? Carroll as a RS Freshman starting makes me pretty uneasy. At this point, I would take serviceable / average at that position.
  • Two Deep: Where do those transfers fit in on the depth chart? What would make me the most optimistic is if both starters at Guard are from the transfer portal. This would tell me the talent level of that group (over last year) would really be improved. 

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

I would agree with your Ghadaksaz assessment. Any starter of course is an important piece to the Football team, but Waletzko being on one side of the spectrum, I would but Ghadaksaz more in the serviceable / average side. To me there's two keys to the offensive line.

• Center position: By far the biggest unknown. Both at Starter / Back up. Are we looking at best someone that can be at Ghadaksaz level? Carroll as a RS Freshman starting makes me pretty uneasy. At this point, I would take serviceable / average at that position.
  • Two Deep: Where do those transfers fit in on the depth chart? What would make me the most optimistic is if both starters at Guard are from the transfer portal. This would tell me the talent level of that group (over last year) would really be improved. 

Carroll looked tiny at the spring wrap up, even at center I would think he needs another 10-15 pounds 

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not sure Ghadaksaz was much of a loss as a starter either. I was never overly impressed, but I'm also not an O-Line guru.

I know he came in as an interior lineman that could play LG/C/RG, but I think the expectation was that he was going to play guard and not center like he ended up doing all season. That was where he played the majority of his snaps at Portland State. Lotysz being hurt all season adjusted those plans.

15 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

WR is a little more of a question mark to me. There is plenty of talent with the possession guys, but as we have needed for so long, will we have a speed, and even if we have a speed guy will Schuster be able to get him the ball? OR if Schuster can't get the deep ball going can QV improve his accuracy? It would be a cool wrinkle to have your short yardage QB turn into your deep threat QB too. I'd rather have one strong QB who can do it all, but I'll take what we have.

IMO we should be better at WR this year. We didn't lose any big producers from last year, sucks that Boltmann wasn't himself until the last couple of games.  Maag will hopefully be healthy next year and be much more of a true weapon.  The portal transfer Wilson sounds like he has solid speed/shake/burst to be that quick playmaker type hopefully.  Dennis as a true freshman could maybe give us a little deep threat? Then of course Wright and Belquist as possession guys and maybe Klein with his height emerges.  We do for sure need to improve on the deep ball.  While Tommy doesn't have a rocket he can throw it 45-50 yards accurately. We may need to just take a few more of those deep shots next year and Tommy just throw it up for a jump ball if single coverage and have our guy make a play or draw an interference call. 

With Otis gone and Smith getting a lot more reps, wonder if we will run more screens this year.

On 5/26/2022 at 12:04 AM, Sioux94 said:

The portal transfer Wilson sounds like he has solid speed/shake/burst to be that quick playmaker type hopefully. 

This is the main wildcard. If he is a good player, the corps will be better. If he’s a bust, then I worry this receiving corps will be status quo and not nearly explosive enough. 

On 5/26/2022 at 12:04 AM, Sioux94 said:

We may need to just take a few more of those deep shots next year and Tommy just throw it up for a jump ball if single coverage and have our guy make a play or draw an interference call.

This right here is a major liability for the offense. Exactly why QB position is so important to the offense and the entire team. You are basically suggesting that the best we can do with Tommy Schuster to ignite the deep passing game is to throw up 50/50 balls … ouch 

On 5/25/2022 at 11:52 AM, F'n Hawks said:

Carroll looked tiny at the spring wrap up, even at center I would think he needs another 10-15 pounds 

Not great. Carroll came in as a Freshman at 265. Weights for the O-Line did not change for anyone from the Fall Roster in 2021 to Spring 2022, so we don't know what he actually is at now. Going back at Center weights:

• Ghadaksaz: 290 (Senior)
  • Nguon: 295 (Senior)
  • Rooney: 289 (Senior)

Everyone being different, but hopefully he can gain 20lbs in a year. 285 would be a little light, but doable. 

Does it seem we are underweight year end year out in some positions.

If our qbs are a running threat that can make up for some arm strength weakness. We need our qbs to be a running and scramble threat. Take the first down when the opportunity presents. As everyone knows 

12 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This right here is a major liability for the offense. Exactly why QB position is so important to the offense and the entire team. You are basically suggesting that the best we can do with Tommy Schuster to ignite the deep passing game is to throw up 50/50 balls … ouch 

No that is not what I was saying or meant.  If our WR running a deep route has pretty good coverage, Tommy often plays it safe and leads him a little too much to avoid the interception.  I just meant he needs to throw it and let our WR make a play even if the coverage is good, not overshoot him by 2 yards to be safe. Maag should be able to make a play if it's one-on-one.   But I'm hoping due to scheme and maybe Dennis or the transfer, or Maag can get some separation and make some big plays deep.  We need to hit on a few of those. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

UNI would shoot up to #7 with a win over a DII school week one.

Well at least we shouldn't have to hear about their tough schedule this year, since ours is tougher than theirs.   They don't play NDSU this year and I see Utah Tech on their schedule, never heard of them.  But somehow I think we will hear throughout the year how tough their schedule is.........and that they sure play tough against NDSU when they do play them!