SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

7 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Honest question here. Are we in any better shape going into this season than we were last year? Doesn’t seem like the portal has helped much. What should we expect? Thanks.

I think so.  Have a huge loss on the OL but as a group i think the other 4 positions are better and we have in my mind one of our top position coaches with that group.  

Defensively, one of the two transfer safety’s need to pan out.  Thin at CB but still think an option of moving Fort back to that position changes that if it’s needed based on play of the unknown players.  

10 minutes ago, homer said:

Thin at CB but still think an option of moving Fort back to that position changes that if it’s needed based on play of the unknown players.  

Getting a transfer safety makes the underlined come into play, and it may be needed. 

10 minutes ago, homer said:

I think so.  Have a huge loss on the OL but as a group i think the other 4 positions are better and we have in my mind one of our top position coaches with that group.  

Defensively, one of the two transfer safety’s need to pan out.  Thin at CB but still think an option of moving Fort back to that position changes that if it’s needed based on play of the unknown players.  

Agreed. And each FCS loss last season was by one score to good teams. Eliminate a couple mistakes (coaching and players) and last season looks a lot different. Lots to look forward to this coming season.

14 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Honest question here. Are we in any better shape going into this season than we were last year? Doesn’t seem like the portal has helped much. What should we expect? Thanks.

I look at the portal overall as a somewhat significant net positive. Why?

• Offensive Line: 3 Additions / 0 Subtractions. There's a good chance both starters at Guard will be portal additions. One of the most important positional groups (if not the most important) is better because of the portal.
  • OLB: 1 Addition / 1 Subtraction. Just looking at next year only, I think it's a net positive Cooper for Urwiller.
  • Safety: 1 Addition / 0 Subtraction. Newest addition this morning, but Buckner appears to be a surefire 2-Deep guy that helps tremendously to the depth

If you break down some of the portal exits (Weah, Riviere, Seguin). Of course the team won't be better because they left, but also those were in positions where there was minimal movement. Still a lot of experience. 

The only positional group that I think really got hit hard was CB. Still, when looking at the portal as a whole, I would say they are in much better shape heading into the Fall then they would have been otherwise.  

34 minutes ago, AJS said:

I look at the portal overall as a somewhat significant net positive. Why?

• Offensive Line: 3 Additions / 0 Subtractions. There's a good chance both starters at Guard will be portal additions. One of the most important positional groups (if not the most important) is better because of the portal.
  • OLB: 1 Addition / 1 Subtraction. Just looking at next year only, I think it's a net positive Cooper for Urwiller.
  • Safety: 1 Addition / 0 Subtraction. Newest addition this morning, but Buckner appears to be a surefire 2-Deep guy that helps tremendously to the depth

If you break down some of the portal exits (Weah, Riviere, Seguin). Of course the team won't be better because they left, but also those were in positions where there was minimal movement. Still a lot of experience. 

The only positional group that I think really got hit hard was CB. Still, when looking at the portal as a whole, I would say they are in much better shape heading into the Fall then they would have been otherwise.  

If the OL Transfers pan out we will be much improved offensively.

4 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Unable to sustain drives ... 

If I'm envious of NDSU FB on one thing it's this: Their ability to grind out a 15 play, 70 yard, six and a half minute touchdown drive in the fourth quarter to ice a game, and smash the other team's will to dust. 

There. I said it.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

My biggest gripe was how the games played out. Unable to sustain drives, and special teams play was off. Our defense has been pretty good the last two years, but the offense has also been rather awful. 

first rule of ss.com.....do not talk crap about kostitch okay!

13 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

We couldn't get a push and we seemed horrible at running the ball once we got in the red zone, which I think led Danny to use more of those types of plays than even he would normally want to do. 

Hopefully the offense has gotten some of these shortcomings ironed out.  2022 has to be less frustrating than 2021...right?

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Hopefully the offense has gotten some of these shortcomings ironed out.  2022 has to be less frustrating than 2021...right?

We all know that each off season the younger guys have the potential to get better.  However, honestly right after the end of last year....knowing Matt was leaving, I didn't think the other guys would improve enough to overcompensate for the loss of Waletzko to the point where we would be greatly improved as a whole on the OL.  And I was thinking 2022 was going to be a lot of the same, struggling to run the ball when we really need to.  However after getting a few transfers on the OL, and the other guys hopefully improving in the off season, I do at least have kelly green tinted glasses kind of hope....... and have some optimism that overall the OL will be improved this fall.  If they are no better than last year, it will likely be a frustrating season once again. 

• Upvote 1