SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

May I respectfully disagree? 

The spring roster shows five: Skokna, Mitchell, Ziebarth, Smith, Pride

Admittedly they list the new Romfo as a WR (and not as RB I'd expected). 

Injuries pile up as the season progresses. One more back isn't a bad thing. 

PS: UNI lists 7 and NDSU lists 8 at RB on spring rosters. 

I agree, I think UND absolutely should add him if they can. I would just slot him at 4 right now on the depth chart if he were on campus. 
You’re right, extra RB bodies are not a bad thing in the MVFC

12 minutes ago, LDL said:

one pitfall of transferring is that you then put yourself back in the pool of available players along with incoming freshmen, so you are vying for spots with a larger group of players. . it looks like the NCAA is looking at this issue:

https://theathletic.com/news/ncaa-d-i-council-approves-1-year-signing-limits-waiver-to-account-for-transfers/rO2GwQvo6YDt/

Seeing how the portal has really benefited the top P5 programs I see this as an opportunity for the top NCAA programs to now be able to take in the top portal players and continue to sign the top signing day classes.  The benefit for this is change is to the top schools/conferences and not the players or G5 or smaller schools.  

• Upvote 1

Agreed.  The pool of available talent for the P5's has broadened.  The players they take from the G5/FCS/etc. are more proven than the high school players thereby making their recruiting more certain.  Meanwhile the G5/FCS... are in the same boat as the JUCO's - audition schools for the P5.  

• Upvote 1

"The NCAA analyzed data for all of the sports under its jurisdiction and found that only 30% (9,101) of Division I athletes who entered the portal across all sports transferred and received athletic aid at their new school, and 47% (14,293) of all entrants remain active."

This is a glaring stat.  Not sure how student athletes can look at these stats and think the transfer portal is a good idea.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

"The NCAA analyzed data for all of the sports under its jurisdiction and found that only 30% (9,101) of Division I athletes who entered the portal across all sports transferred and received athletic aid at their new school, and 47% (14,293) of all entrants remain active."

This is a glaring stat.  Not sure how student athletes can look at these stats and think the transfer portal is a good idea.

Same way guys like Cole Spicer decommit -- they are told how great they are and they should be playing, and that it is most likely the coaches fault they aren't. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Same way guys like Cole Spicer decommit -- they are told how great they are and they should be playing, and that it is most likely the coaches fault they aren't. 

Or that as a senior in high school they are Mr. Football and expect to be a starter on a college team.

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Some of them think they should be playing in the NFL but are not even playing non their college team. Heads get too big and some pay the price because of it……

• Upvote 1

Down south another player entered the portal

Andre Carrier

@andrecarrier_

I would like to start off by saying thank you to the coaches and staff at NDSU. I would also like to thank my teammates for the memories and friendships. With a lot of thought and consideration I have decided to enter the transfer portal with 4 years of eligibility remaining.

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Down south another player entered the portal

Andre Carrier

@andrecarrier_

I would like to start off by saying thank you to the coaches and staff at NDSU. I would also like to thank my teammates for the memories and friendships. With a lot of thought and consideration I have decided to enter the transfer portal with 4 years of eligibility remaining.

A Cavalier kid, I was a little surprised to see him pick NDSU out of high school. Had a couple DII offers. My guess is he crosses the river and plays for the Dragons

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

This helps the RB room! 

Indeed. 

Skokna, Mitchell, Ziebarth, Smith, Pride seems one injury away from being short-handed. Hoosman adds the missing depth, with some good skills. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

Imo the portal has been a net positive for UND this off-season with the O linemen added, the Cal Poly LB, the NDSU D lineman, the Gardner Webb Safety, the JUCO DB (Hembry),and now the UNI RB. 

Trying to weigh it against the losses. Can't recall all, but the secondary took a hit IIRC

32 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

This and a stronger OL will make a huge difference on short yardage.  Really good get.

Would love if Q wasn't our only short yardage option. Appreciate Q for what he brings. 

15 hours ago, shep said:

Trying to weigh it against the losses. Can't recall all, but the secondary took a hit IIRC

I am with @forksandspoons, not only a net positive, but probably not that close. Trying to be objective. Looking at some bullet points. It's important to note that the returning roster at each positional group plays into the overall impact as well.

Sizable Positive Impact.

• Offensive Line: 3 in vs 0 out. The O-Line will be considerably better and deeper than they would have been, because of the portal.
  • Safety: 1 in vs 0 out. Buckner seems to be a player. Legitimate 2-Deep guy.

Small Positive Impact.

• OLB: 1 in vs 1 out. For one season, I think you take Cooper as a Grad Transfer over Urwiler as a Sophomore.

Small Negative Impact.

• D-Line: 1 in vs 1 out. I'm taking Seguin over Ogbu. 
  • Running Back. 1 In vs 1 Out. Talent wise, you're just not replacing Otis. Other factors at play there as well which downplays the negative impact to that position group.

Medium Negative Impact.

• Tight End: 1 Out vs 0 In. Riviere was the best blocking TE on the team last year. They don't lose a lot at that position, but when you're talking blocking TE, it's tough to gauge.

Sizable Negative Impact.

• Cornerback: 2 Out vs 1 In. You lose your # 2 / # 3 guys. It went from a position of strength to one that you worry about / an unknown. 

No Impact:

• Wide Receiver: 3 Out vs 0 In.