SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

I have no ill will toward any player that wants to leave and do what’s best for them.  Some moves make sense and some don’t. I am curious though where Otis will end up. To be honest I thought he would have ended up somewhere already unless I missed it. 

5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Hearing from a credible source that the reason that Otis didn't make the trip to Southern Illinois was that he skipped practice the entire week leading up to the game.  Take into consideration that he also missed the Drake game for missing a team meeting.  If this is all true, I don't know how he wasn't dismissed from the team that week.  It is sounding more and more like Otis entering the transfer portal was a way for him to leave the team with some dignity because Bubba may have told him to do it because he was going to be dismissed from the team.  

I don't think this a big secret anymore.   It was an ongoing problem.

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

Lets restart the clock on talking about ... 

I'd rather talk about who gets more touches and what they'll do with them.
I think Smith and Ziebarth will be the biggest beneficiaries and I'm thinking they won't disappoint. 

Is there a true freshman that could come in and surprise us all? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I don’t believe the concern is opinions on issues. I believe the objection is opinions on rumors, which if not factual,  are harmful to the kid, the program, and as stated by the moderators,  a potential problem for Siouxsports.com. That is why they asked people to stop. 

We live in a day and age where media repeatedly reports on stories that eventually come out as totally false yet they get away with it without any retraction or consequences.  Pretty sure commenting on "rumors" on a fan message board isn't going to do much harm to any party involved.  Not here to rag on the guy.  Just commenting on what I heard. 

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

We live in a day and age where media repeatedly reports on stories that eventually come out as totally false yet they get away with it without any retraction or consequences.  Pretty sure commenting on "rumors" on a fan message board isn't going to do much harm to any party involved.  Not here to rag on the guy.  Just commenting on what I heard. 

Out  of respect for the request by moderators I think it’s best to let it go. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Okay so explain the value in posting negative rumors about members of a team that you support? 

Food for thought from 247 sports.

The Transfer Portal has 112 Wide Receivers committed to another school already.  (about the top 25 guys are lateral or up to power 5 after that mostly down a step or 2)

There are 136 Wide Receivers still in the portal - Not counting FCS guys (which 247 doesn't generally track anymore) (They will track an FBS transfer to FCS or vise versa)

Randomly looking at schools.  Utah State is listed as a destination for 3 Jackson State and Louisiana Monroe for 4.   All of those schools have starters on the roster, recruits coming in, and now the transfers.  Is the grass greener?  Out of those 11 guys you have to figure at least 5 don't improve their playing time??   Now thinking of FCS guys transferring up..... lots of guys who have already played some or a lot, know what college football is, can assimilate to a new team, have some talent so the FBS coach picks them up - but do they play? or do they provide depth.  Is being the number 3 guy at UND worse than being the #3 or #4 guy at San Diego State (insert school here)? I  may argue that a back up LB, Corner, S, etc  could get more playing time at UND than on a new team.  

Would Cooper Kupp be where he is now if he'd have "transfer portal'd" out of EWU after his sophomore year (FCS First Team All-American) for say UWash or UOregon's "quack attack" or even Alabama? 

We'll never know, but it's an interesting thought experiment. 

41 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Would Cooper Kupp be where he is now if he'd have "transfer portal'd" out of EWU after his sophomore year (FCS First Team All-American) for say UWash or UOregon's "quack attack" or even Alabama? 

Good question. I think so, but I’m not convinced he would have improved his chances. Player evaluation, film review and scouting have evolved to where FCS players will get their chance. I’m sure there are exceptions but would Krupp have been the featured guy at all power 5 schools?  Maybe not.  

There will always be exceptions. But, we live in a numbers game. If your piers want a player then the chances are he can play in your league. You will be successful as ex most of the time and strike out with a few. If your piers don’t show interest in a player you will be successful with some but not most.

should add:

da

mr obvious 

18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Did Kenny Golladay improve his draft position by going to Northern Illinois? We don’t know, but would guess that he did the right thing to get out of Rudy’s offense.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Norhsidepride said:

Food for thought from 247 sports.

The Transfer Portal has 112 Wide Receivers committed to another school already.  (about the top 25 guys are lateral or up to power 5 after that mostly down a step or 2)

There are 136 Wide Receivers still in the portal - Not counting FCS guys (which 247 doesn't generally track anymore) (They will track an FBS transfer to FCS or vise versa)

Randomly looking at schools.  Utah State is listed as a destination for 3 Jackson State and Louisiana Monroe for 4.   All of those schools have starters on the roster, recruits coming in, and now the transfers.  Is the grass greener?  Out of those 11 guys you have to figure at least 5 don't improve their playing time??   Now thinking of FCS guys transferring up..... lots of guys who have already played some or a lot, know what college football is, can assimilate to a new team, have some talent so the FBS coach picks them up - but do they play? or do they provide depth.  Is being the number 3 guy at UND worse than being the #3 or #4 guy at San Diego State (insert school here)? I  may argue that a back up LB, Corner, S, etc  could get more playing time at UND than on a new team.  

Read that there will be over 2000 portal players by August with over half of them not getting any offers. What do they do then? The article questioned who these players were listening to.

19 hours ago, zonadub said:

Did Kenny Golladay improve his draft position by going to Northern Illinois? We don’t know, but would guess that he did the right thing to get out of Rudy’s offense.

My memory could be failing me (very likely) but unless you are implying that KG knew what kind of offense Rudy would be installing as a reason for his departure.... I believe KG bolted to NIU just after Muss was canned and before Bubba and Rudy even set foot into their Memorial Stadium offices.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

My memory could be failing me (very likely) but unless you are implying that KG knew what kind of offense Rudy would be installing as a reason for his departure.... I believe KG bolted to NIU just after Muss was canned and before Bubba and Rudy even set foot into their Memorial Stadium offices.

Yes, he left before Schweigert was hired, but did he improve his draft position by transferring to NIU? Would say he may have had to be UDFA after time in Rudy’s offense.