SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

50 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Does Bobby's salary even cover his motorcycle insurance?

Fifteen minutes could save him fifteen percent
or he could call
the Emu ... and Doug
or he could call
the Motaur and Flo. 

I swear those are the only commercials on anymore. :glare:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Until UND actually improves support for the football program or Chaves leaves, which will hopefully be soon, I'm fine with Bubba staying.  Look at a promising coach like Paul Sather, who had many of the attributes that you guys are looking for in a new football coach... he isn't necessarily improving the program, and based on the results of the Mayville game, it looks like the team could be even worse than last year and he is in his third year already, so a new coach isn't really guaranteed to give us better results, especially if the program isn't getting the funding that it needs to attract a good one.  I also don't want UND to fire Bubbba, hire a new guy who may have some first year struggles, and then get a new AD who will be looking to fire the football coach again so that he can hire his own guy..   Under Bubba, the team seems to be slowly improving, and the good seasons seem to getting better, and the bad season seems to be getting less bad.  The trend however, is in the right direction.  Yes the offense has made some questionable calls, but Freund is in what, his 3rd year as OC?  He's still relatively young and will learn and improve.  I just don think I want the current AD hiring a new coach given the lack of support for our program.  Look how competetive bubba has this program and compare our football facilites to other top programs in the valley - given the recourses we have, I think he's over performing, to be honest.  Until we have legit facilities, I don't think a young PJ Fleck type guy will be able to make it work here.  The program needs better support more than anything.  For example, did a guy like SDSU's Stiegelmeier suddenly just become a good coach after being mediocre for 10+ years, or is SDSU now a top program because the University decided to fully support the football program?  I don't think the guy just randomly became a better coach...

image.thumb.png.d0d79aeaef0a3922c1d8e9feaa66beff.png

This post probably makes as much sense as any. As SDSU found out, they don't want to lose to NDSU every year, so they made a commitment to not let that happen.  Eventually (you could say that now is that time), UND will be in the same boat (or is currently in that boat).  Hopefully it doesn't take many losses to figure out that if UND fans are going to get excited about football, it's because we're beating the Bison.

8 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Locker rooms that aren't in a swimming pool building across the street from the practice facility. 

Approval to take care of that came just recently.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/7267221-UNDs-Memorial-Village-project-moves-forward-with-possible-spring-construction-timeline 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Pretty sure that only includes coaching offices and meeting rooms, so UND will be operating out of three different buildings.  

"Now that we can sign a development agreement, the soonest we would be looking at any type of construction is the spring and that's contingent on contracts and finances," said Mike Pieper, UND's Associate Vice President for Facilities.

The plan for the first floor of the Memorial Village project is to house administrative and coaches offices, as well as meeting rooms.

2 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

What about the other 45 plays in those games? 

They all matter, but most contested football games come down to a handful of game-changing plays.  IMO those two plays were both big enough to not only change the outcome of the game, but also the season and possibly a career.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

What about the other 45 plays in those games? 

The 80+ year old lady right behind me on Saturday was calling UND's offensive plays correctly 90% of the time when they broke the huddle if that tells you anything.

But the Tommy QB draw even was baffling to her........

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Goon said:

So, If I am reading this right, the new addition near the indoor facility is the new locker rooms, right?

I would think they would want this to happen as soon as possible. This could be a game changer. 

chrome-capture.jpg

Correct.  It's a sperate project, to be completed after memorial village (building on the west side).  I kinda think they should consider putting phase two of the high performance center on the north side of the practice field instead of building the hawkway... just use the new building to connect memorial village to the high performance center.  This would help to block wind into the practice field and windows could still be installed at some point on the west side of the high performance center if desired.  Then use the space between the high performance center and indoor practice facility for additional turf/practice area.  I would be perfectly happy with the existing plan though as well!Correct.  It's a sperate project, to be completed after memorial village (building on the west side).  I kinda think they should consider putting phase two of the high performance center on the north side of the practice field instead of building the hawkway... just use the new building to connect memorial village to the high performance center.  This would help to block wind into the practice field and windows could still be installed at some point on the west side of the high performance center if desired.  Then use the space between the high performance center and indoor practice facility for additional turf/practice area.  With this plan, the practice field would need to be shifted 20-30 yards south if the track were to remain, or move the track to that southern practice field. I would be perfectly happy with the existing plan though as well!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 7:13 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Can’t afford football coach buyouts …

Can’t afford better football coaches …

Can’t afford to complete phase II of Fritz Pollard Jr. Athletic Center …

A lot of financial constraints for a University that has a $100 million hockey arena and pumps $ into hockey updates every season…

Point is, the issue remains that UND treats all non-hockey sports as a red-headed stepchild.

UND football will continue to have up and down seasons until this changes to a degree. 

Maybe then a football alum needs to step up with a big check. It's not like basketball is getting monster cash either and that sport has at least much history at UND and big dance appearances would do more for national profile than fcs playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Maybe then a football alum needs to step up with a big check. It's not like basketball is getting monster cash either and that sport has at least much history at UND and big dance appearances would do more for national profile than fcs playoffs. 

Maybe? Who is going to step up with a big check? UND men’s basketball is in fairly shaky spot too as far as financial support goes. 

On 11/8/2021 at 7:59 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

With a handful of different play calls & game management decisions this team could be 8-1.  Better facilities will improve the team personnel to some degree, but this team is good enough to win the MVFC right now.  Better facilities will have no bearing on those decisions.  

The only thing we are missing is you calling about 6-7 plays and we would be conference Champs.  Brush off the resume and send to Chaves and tell him you will be available Sat. Afternoon.