SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

9 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Wanting UND in the same conversation as those teams and realizing they aren't are two separate things, super smart football guy. If you don't see the difference between UND and those schools when it comes to an athletic department I dont know what to tell you. 

If UND ever really wants to be the 'Flagship" U of North Dakota, it will be done on the football field.  I travel quite a bit and if you talk about the University in ND, 99% of the time NDSU is blurted out by the person.  In the US outside of Minnesota and Boston and the Red River Valley of the North, college hockey is on the same level as college lacrosse.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

If UND ever really wants to be the 'Flagship" U of North Dakota, it will be done on the football field.  I travel quite a bit and if you talk about the University in ND, 99% of the time NDSU is blurted out by the person.  In the US outside of Minnesota and Boston, college hockey is on the same level as college lacrosse.

I think we all know that. Getting it accomplished seems to be the issue. New staff?  

Just now, UND1983 said:

I think we all know that. Getting it accomplished seems to be the issue. New staff?  

A decision needs to be made at the very top of the University about the direction and if being the true "flagship" is important.  IMO it can be done, but it will take hard work and $$$$.

20 hours ago, Und246 said:

I don’t think it is time to over react. In spite of our record we have a lot of talent and we are a very improved team. I know it is hard to believe. Unfortunately we have had some really bad coaching decisions and some bad play executions happen at very inopportune times in several games. They came back to haunt us. If those mistakes would be corrected the future could be bright. There is hope. 

This 2021 team sucks. Cold hard truth. Under Bubba, since 2014, UND is average.

UND has been below average to average in that timeframe. I’m not buying it right now, but if you’re content with average seasons and occasional second round playoff exits, it is your right to be fine with that. 

22 hours ago, Goon said:

So what is the solution? Do we fire everyone one on the coaching staff and start over? That will probably set the program back a few years. I do think UND needs to make changes to the staff.  The offensive scheme is predictable and stale. That said the school also needs to make a full commitment to the football program. I don't believe it has yet. I once asked a prominent football alum if the school was as committed to football as they were hockey. He said flat out no. Not even close. There's no reason UND can't be on the same level as NDSU. 

This - it's not healthy to point out the inconsistencies in support between hockey and football (or other major sports) but it shows up regularly. Football has the same opening video two years in a row, hockey has something new weekly, hockey has its own inhouse Behind these doors, football depends on Midco, Hockey has a full-time chef.....the list is long. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

If UND ever really wants to be the 'Flagship" U of North Dakota, it will be done on the football field.  I travel quite a bit and if you talk about the University in ND, 99% of the time NDSU is blurted out by the person.  In the US outside of Minnesota and Boston and the Red River Valley of the North, college hockey is on the same level as college lacrosse.

Actually I'm guessing college lacrosse is bigger than college hockey by quite a margin.  

39 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

This - it's not healthy to point out the inconsistencies in support between hockey and football (or other major sports) but it shows up regularly. Football has the same opening video two years in a row, hockey has something new weekly, hockey has its own inhouse Behind these doors, football depends on Midco, Hockey has a full-time chef.....the list is long. 

Some on this board act like the entire hockey team went into the AD's office in 2008 and demanded like they hire Mussman - but only if they promised to keep him for 6 years.  Then, in 2014 they went again and insisted that in spite of other candidates they hire a coach with a 22-21 D II record - but only if he got Rudy for an offensive coordinator and kept him for 5 years.  Without the Bubba factor we would have at least 5,000 more fans in seats this Saturday.  With what Bubba has given us this year no one gives a crap about the opening video.  The Athletic Department has let down the Football program, but mainly in their hiring and inability to hold coaches accountable.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

This - it's not healthy to point out the inconsistencies in support between hockey and football (or other major sports) but it shows up regularly. Football has the same opening video two years in a row, hockey has something new weekly, hockey has its own inhouse Behind these doors, football depends on Midco, Hockey has a full-time chef.....

Agree with the not healthy, regularly - but will add.

57 minutes ago, Irish said:

Some on this board act like the entire hockey team went into the AD's office in 2008 and demanded like they hire Mussman - but only if they promised to keep him for 6 years.  Then, in 2014 they went again and insisted that in spite of other candidates they hire a coach with a 22-21 D II record - but only if he got Rudy for an offensive coordinator and kept him for 5 years.  Without the Bubba factor we would have at least 5,000 more fans in seats this Saturday.  With what Bubba has given us this year no one gives a crap about the opening video.  The Athletic Department has let down the Football program, but mainly in their hiring and inability to hold coaches accountable.  

Is hiring/holding onto coaches, an AD problem only or is it handicapped by the agreement between The Ralph and the U?

It'll take at least till 2030:
To have equal food at the dinner table.
For the AD to create a fair professional relationship with all coaches.

Today the coaches (AD included) understand The Ralph pays itself first. Some not so healthy formulas on that train for the U overall.
A few of the past P's tried to change some of the original agreements, but the best they could do is ruff up some feathers with The Ralph - soon bye bye.

Awful lot of money flows into The  Palace.

23 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Agree with the not healthy, regularly - but will add.

Is hiring/holding onto coaches, an AD problem only or is it handicapped by the agreement between The Ralph and the U?

It'll take at least till 2030:
To have equal food at the dinner table.
For the AD to create a fair professional relationship with all coaches.

Today the coaches understand The Ralph pays itself first, AD included. Some not healthy formulas on that train for the U overall.
A few of the past P's tried to change some of the original agreements, but the best they could do is ruff up some feathers with The Ralph - soon bye bye.

Awful lot of money flows into The  Palace.

This may be but I still am not sure about how this causes us to hire Muss and let Bubba ramble on for so long.  A winning football program would cure a lot of ills.

Remember, the Hockey program was successful before the new Ralph.  

Fool me once saying rings true with my take on Bubba and the state of the Football program. To me this season perfectly sums up Bubba's tenure. He's coming off a great season with real momentum, but here they sit at 3-5. Sort of like the injury plagued 2017 campaign, if you analyze this season only, I really don't think you come to the conclusion that changes need to be made. It's the pattern of his .500 career. What I mean by this season only is an argument can be made that 0-4 in one score games is bizarre. Play calls that backfire. Untimely turnovers. Always seemingly on the wrong end of a coin flip. 

Where I've backpedaled, is I would be open to keeping this Coaching staff (minus Bubba) together. Talent wise, I think they're close. They'll be good next year. They need someone who oozes confidence. Somebody younger. They will not take that next step, which to me all has to do with consistency with Bubba. 

What will happen: UND is winning their next 3 games, first four out of the playoffs, but will just be enough to spin this season into a what if positive take away for some. They will follow it up by being really good next year. It's that following year where some fluky things happen and we're right back here.

Mussman was what 31-34?  Bubba is currently 45-39?  I was not a Mussman fan, but alot of people try to give Bubba a pass because "oh the MVC is so tough....he needs more time".  Well Mussman had to roll into D1 with a bunch of D2 recruits and the Big Sky soon after.  In that case it didn't matter, results (or lack thereof) caused a change.  Not sure why this case is any different.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Mussman was what 31-34?  Bubba is currently 45-39?  I was not a Mussman fan, but alot of people try to give Bubba a pass because "oh the MVC is so tough....he needs more time".  Well Mussman had to roll into D1 with a bunch of D2 recruits and the Big Sky soon after.  In that case it didn't matter, results (or lack thereof) caused a change.  Not sure why this case is any different.  

Where are the “a lot of people”? 

• Upvote 1

USU: Total implosion after 1st quarter (UND lost 2nd, 3rd, 4th qtrs by 41-3) 
NDSU: the fourth down call (could've said general clock management)
SIU: No real alternative as FG kicker? Really? There's a backup at every other position. 
Western: No clue it was 4th not 1st down after Otis run at end of 1st half with seconds left inside the 10
MoiSt: Play calling when up 11 and six to play 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Help me understand why we can't point out the inconsistencies in support between hockey and football (or other major sports)? As an alumnus, I am interested in seeing all of our programs flourish and achieve success. Right now, a lot of our programs other than hockey are floundering in mediocrity. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Irish said:

Some are right here on this board - a lot of complaining but little call for a new coach.

This thread is a sample size of what, 150-300 of the same people that post?  Not posting about a new coach is how you determine “a lot of people”??

5 hours ago, homer said:

This thread is a sample size of what, 150-300 of the same people that post?  Not posting about a new coach is how you determine “a lot of people”??

The type of people on this board are some of the most important ones.  They are the ones actually still talking about a 3-5 football team and most likey to watch/attend games.  

Too many people won't call for a change because Bubba is such a nice guy.  It is possible to be a super nice guy but not the right coach to lead UND.