SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

37 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

??? will Danny be an improvement after learning the ropes from Bubba and Rudy?

I figured Danny would be the guy after Bubba left. Now I'm leaning toward no. Idk if its Bubba telling Danny what to do or Danny screwing it up himself. We saw it when Rudy was here and we're seeing it now. 

38 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I could not care less if they move on from Bubba.  But thinking a new guy will come in and revitalize the program for a few years, only to leave, and THAT will be the difference is not dealing in reality.  UND needs somebody who will be here for 7-10 years to build it to a Top 10 level every year - and hopefully then the next guy can build off that.  This isn't NDSU where every coach wins, no matter what.  

Then why are you posting to this topic at all? #simplequestion

Serious question…

would you rather hire a former DII coach with a 22-21 record as a head coach who is looking to retire after finishing his career here?

-or -

a young up and coming coach who has a 67 - 3 record with 4 (four!) national championships at a lower level like NAIA, who will get attention from both recruits and higher level programs that will likely be hired away after several successful seasons?

well, Fresno State is leading the MWC West and is probably pretty happy with that up-and-coming young coach. (And I am not suggesting hiring Fresno’s defensive coordinator)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Serious question…

would you rather hire a former DII coach with a 22-21 record as a head coach who is looking to retire after finishing his career here?

-or -

a young up and coming coach who has a 67 - 3 record with 4 (four!) national championships at a lower level like NAIA, who will get attention from both recruits and higher level programs that will likely be hired away after several successful seasons?

well, Fresno State is leading the MWC West and is probably pretty happy with that up-and-coming young coach. (And I am not suggesting hiring Fresno’s defensive coordinator)

Fresno didn't hire an up and comer from NAIA.  They hired a guy from the Big Ten who was hired THREE times after Sioux Falls 

34 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Tied with what two other teams for conference champs? Now they're 3-5 this year. Didn't UND win the Big Sky and the next year go 3-8? It is not good enough to have a couple good years and many bad ones.

Actually in Grand Forks having a couple down/mediocre years.....followed by an outlier hope year.....then followed by a couple more down/mediocre news is good enough apparently.  

• Upvote 1

If we are going to get good coaches, why don't we pluck them from successful programs.  I think there is a pretty good program down the road.  If you want to take a chance on an up and coming coach ready to make a splash in his first head coaching gig, how bot this guy?!! 

https://gobison.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/david-braun/1679

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Parkers Pros said:

Look, nothings gonna happen. We just won the league last year our 1st time out. He is under contract and it would be expensive to buy him out. Ya we have holes. But who do you get that won’t cause an exodus of players if the coach is fired. We have a good core, hopefully we are learning, looking at you Danny and Brent. We have a decent QB room, the best RB room in program history, solid WR, a good enough defense!  Starting over sounds silly!

I agree, just hard because we have likely reached the ceiling under Bubba.  Everything goes our way, and we are 8-3 and make the playoffs.  Rash of injuries or things don't go our way and its 4-7 to 6-5.

To me biggest difference between spring and fall is home vs away schedule.  Got S. Illinois, Missouri st, SDSU, usd at home.   

this coaching staff can’t win road games.  Ndsu is better this fall than spring and we could have won that game because it was at home.  

I think assessing the head coach has to consider that all the upperclassmen joined a team in the Big Sky or an independent.  That's tough to join, and had to hurt recruiting.  (and with only 11 seniors and 8 fifth-years on the roster, it would seem so)

The underclassmen were recruited into an unproven program, but one that had announced they would join MVFC.  Plus MVFC road trips are much closer for friends and family than our prior conference.  All this has to have helped recruiting, and it seems like it has - given we have a lot of underclassmen playing key roles.

Next fall is the first recruiting class where we could pitch UND football as MVFC champs last spring.   That has to help our credibility and recruiting, for fall 2022 and beyond.  

Point being, I think our coaching staff has had an uphill battle for a while now.  If the underclass develop (or don't) that's a big indicator of need to change, as would be ongoing failings to get talent in (with the wind now at their back).  

In game management, the last month, has been enormously frustrating.  But switching out a head coach (and much of the staff) sets the timeline back for being competitive too.  Recruits decommit, the transfer portal opens and some of our best talent heads out.  I'm not convinced that's a better path.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Yes, Bubba will still be the HC next year. We get it. And the Hawks will probably continue the roller coaster ride and qualify for the postseason again next year. Seems to be a theme. Maybe win a game or even two in the playoffs.

Will that mean another extension for him or will he retire or move on to the Alumni Association?

• Upvote 1

Everyone is talking about the players of varying talent levels that may leave if Bubba leaves .....but once again, the Bubba apologists don't ever want to think about what talent over the last several years has never even come to UND in the first place due to a retired in place coach and an OC that is looking more and more overmatched the more games he coaches (when the opposite should be happening). 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Everyone is talking about the players of varying talent levels that may leave if Bubba leaves .....but once again, the Bubba apologists don't ever want to think about what talent over the last several years has never even come to UND in the first place due to a retired in place coach and an OC that is looking more and more overmatched the more games he coaches (when the opposite should be happening). 

You feel Danny has been overmatched by our opponents?  Interesting take.

• Upvote 1

My thoughts,

Talent is great, but getting players character guys, guys willing to work and get better are important. Guys willing to play hard and do will give their all whether up by 20 or down by 20 go along ways and that helped stabilize the program since Muss has left. Our line play needs to continue to improve, depth is getting better. Now we need a few gamers, we are getting that with our RB’s. Missouri State showed what speedy receivers can do, if we can get one or have one stand out, to compliment our out her receivers we are close to being great.

This has been frustrating season, how this team finishes and who stays will dictate the immediate future. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You feel Danny has been overmatched by our opponents?  Interesting take.

So what is the solution? Do we fire everyone one on the coaching staff and start over? That will probably set the program back a few years. I do think UND needs to make changes to the staff.  The offensive scheme is predictable and stale. That said the school also needs to make a full commitment to the football program. I don't believe it has yet. I once asked a prominent football alum if the school was as committed to football as they were hockey. He said flat out no. Not even close. There's no reason UND can't be on the same level as NDSU. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I don’t think it is time to over react. In spite of our record we have a lot of talent and we are a very improved team. I know it is hard to believe. Unfortunately we have had some really bad coaching decisions and some bad play executions happen at very inopportune times in several games. They came back to haunt us. If those mistakes would be corrected the future could be bright. There is hope. 

11 hours ago, Goon said:

So what is the solution? Do we fire everyone one on the coaching staff and start over? That will probably set the program back a few years. I do think UND needs to make changes to the staff.  The offensive scheme is predictable and stale. That said the school also needs to make a full commitment to the football program. I don't believe it has yet. I once asked a prominent football alum if the school was as committed to football as they were hockey. He said flat out no. Not even close. There's no reason UND can't be on the same level as NDSU. 

I did sit near him at the basketball game last night but figured he just walked over after hockey practice got over..... Almost went and talked to him to say "The football program needs your attention ASAP"