SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

6 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

The only thing we are missing is you calling about 6-7 plays and we would be conference Champs.  Brush off the resume and send to Chaves and tell him you will be available Sat. Afternoon.

Don't be silly.....Chaves isn't going to help him got a shot Saturday afternoon with one of the other three Dakota teams in the playoffs.

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

If it were that simple they would be here and the check would have already been cut.

Whoever the UND attorney was at the time, screwed up the $10,000,000 deal. Sanford execs had cleared their schedules and the day before the announcement she screwed everything up and convinced the decision makers to back out. I think the Sanford guys said they weren’t going to do business with a group that jerked them around. 

Edited by iramurphy
Missed 3 zeros
  • Upvote 2

Just now, iramurphy said:

Whoever the UND attorney was at the time, screwed up the $10,000 deal. Sanford execs had cleared their schedules and the day before the announcement she screwed everything up and convinced the decision makers to back out. I think the Sanford guys said they weren’t going to do business with a group that jerked them around. 

I believe there are opportunities to reopen discussions again. 

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

The only thing we are missing is you calling about 6-7 plays and we would be conference Champs.  Brush off the resume and send to Chaves and tell him you will be available Sat. Afternoon.

Even you would have called TO when NDSU didn’t take their dline off the field at our own 20.  This isn’t rocket science.

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2021 at 8:13 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Can’t afford football coach buyouts …

Can’t afford better football coaches …

Can’t afford to complete phase II of Fritz Pollard Jr. Athletic Center …

A lot of financial constraints for a University that has a $100 million hockey arena and pumps $ into hockey updates every season…

Point is, the issue remains that UND treats all non-hockey sports as a red-headed stepchild.

UND football will continue to have up and down seasons until this changes to a degree. 

You don’t need a UND business degree to know you invest in your money maker, and hockey brings in the bacon. Also, the Ralph is a poor example to use as one of the most unique donation scenarios in college. I soooo wish we had a big time donor to come in and put Ralph style cash in for football. HPC, on campus stadium, staffing, the works.

All that being said, I do think football could be a money maker, with some perennial success. Need more funding, needs consistent winning. Which has to come first? Probably a little of both.

On 11/8/2021 at 7:59 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

With a handful of different play calls & game management decisions this team could be 8-1.  Better facilities will improve the team personnel to some degree, but this team is good enough to win the MVFC right now.  Better facilities will have no bearing on those decisions.  

Agreed, we were not that far off from being a highly seeded team this season, which sounds far fetched looking at the record, but not if you break down the games. Coaches and players win those games and maintain interest, we have chances to get additional revenue. NDSU has had how many more home games over the past decade because of the playoffs. More games, more interest, more money.

9 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Whoever the UND attorney was at the time, screwed up the $10,000 deal. Sanford execs had cleared their schedules and the day before the announcement she screwed everything up and convinced the decision makers to back out. I think the Sanford guys said they weren’t going to do business with a group that jerked them around. 

Is your number right? Honest question.  UND and Sanford really couldn't have gotten bent over $10K. 

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, we were not that far off from being a highly seeded team this season, which sounds far fetched looking at the record, but not if you break down the games. Coaches and players win those games and maintain interest, we have chances to get additional revenue. NDSU has had how many more home games over the past decade because of the playoffs. More games, more interest, more money.

If UND was hosting a football playoff game this Saturday wouldn't there be hand-wringing about low attendance and justification that "everyone is focused on the hockey game and has to choose"? 

11 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Bubba would have had to actually make the playoffs first 

10 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

If UND was hosting a football playoff game this Saturday wouldn't there be hand-wringing about low attendance and justification that "everyone is focused on the hockey game and has to choose"? 

People want to love this football team. A lot of people love football more than they love hockey. It’s just that Hockey is relevant year over year.  When UND was relevant at the end of DII the Alerus was sold out, full of students and season ticket holders. They traveled well. I remember there being conversations of how we were going to have to expand the Alerus center when we went division one. After Lennon left we took a step back at UND and he couldn’t meet the same expectations at SIU. We had some fun players but we didn’t have very good teams. If the product is good and relevant North Dakota will fill the building every time. Unfortunately it’s a fickle crowd.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

People want to love this football team. A lot of people love football more than they love hockey. It’s just that Hockey is relevant year over year.  When UND was relevant at the end of DII the Alerus was sold out, full of students and season ticket holders. They traveled well. I remember there being conversations of how we were going to have to expand the Alerus center when we went division one. After Lennon left we took a step back at UND and he couldn’t meet the same expectations at SIU. We had some fun players but we didn’t have very good teams. If the product is good and relevant North Dakota will fill the building every time. Unfortunately it’s a fickle crowd.

Weather was bad, but the “crowd”/excitement level vs ISU as as lackluster as I have ever seen it.

How about after next season (I would predict between 3-8 to 7-4), Bubba steps down, Chaves steps down and Bubba becomes AD.

So, after the NDSU game, what did UND's Quality Control coach's evaluation of the performance say? How about after Missouri State? 

What was their plan to identify and make sure any missteps or errors weren't repeated in future games and did that get to Bubba and his staff? 

Quality Control coach? Say what

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2016/01/what_is_a_quality_control_coach_rutgers_assistant.html 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/sports/ncaafootball/alabama-college-football-coaches.html 

Not looking to make work for anyone, and knowing I've never had a head FB coach title so my observations aren't as deep as others', but aren't there friends of Bubba or UND (Tom Dosch, Mike Berg, Mike Mannausau) that could take on such a role (sadly unpaid) and give honest feedback and tips on what to look out for or improve in the future? 

From an engineering and manufacturing point of view, QC checks the product and if problems are identified works with QA (quality assurance, meaning the coaches) to make sure they aren't repeated. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So, after the NDSU game, what did UND's Quality Control coach's evaluation of the performance say? How about after Missouri State? 

What was their plan to identify and make sure any missteps or errors weren't repeated in future games and did that get to Bubba and his staff? 

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2016/01/what_is_a_quality_control_coach_rutgers_assistant.html 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/sports/ncaafootball/alabama-college-football-coaches.html 

Not looking to make work for anyone, and knowing I've never had a head FB coach title so my observations aren't as deep as others', but aren't there friends of Bubba or UND (Tom Dosch, Mike Berg, Mike Mannausau) that could take on such a role (sadly unpaid) and give honest feedback and tips on what to look out for or improve in the future? 

From an engineering and manufacturing point of view, QC checks the product and if problems are identified works with QA (quality assurance, meaning the coaches) to make sure they aren't repeated. 

This is needed desperately.  It needs to be someone who can be honest with everyone involved.  There have been some monumental coaching blunders this season, which affected not just the momentum of the game, but very, very likely the outcome of the game(MSU, SDSU), the outcome of the season and the direction of the program(NDSU).

If coaches are allowed to speak openly at staff meetings, I would never believe that coaches are not coming in after some of these games and saying "WTF is going on".

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Looks like NDSU has two. https://gobison.com/sports/football/coaches

19 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You realize that if Otis doesn't fumble at MSU none of that is even talked about, right?  You are so desperate to blame coaching for all the losses that you look past the actual plays that lost it.  Get help.

Do you not understand the definition of "game management"? 

A good game manager would have made sure the fumble happened with almost an entire minute less on the clock, unless you think USD was practicing some kind of football "MAGIC" against UND. 

Again, football is not rocket science.  Generally when a team has the lead in a football game and the ball, they want every play to take as much time off the clock as is possible.

FOOTBALL 101

29 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You realize that if Otis doesn't fumble at MSU none of that is even talked about, right?  You are so desperate to blame coaching for all the losses that you look past the actual plays that lost it.  Get help.

This the same guy who had 165 yards and 3 TD who was the main reason UND was in position to win the game??