SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Definitely agree the top need is goalie and I'm all but certain Driscoll is our No. 1 target.

I’d just prefer to keep Thome. He is a proven goaltender in our conference. 

13 hours ago, AJS said:

Some of the main takeaways.

• No Seniors will be back
  • Hennessy talked about Thome and basically being down to UND and Bemidji and Berry kind of skated around it talking about the Portal and Thome, but I got the feeling at that time Thome was not going back to UND (that was pre-Berry saying no Seniors would be back)
  • Looking for a player or two in the Portal. Emphasized how they really pride themselves on development, but if you can get a guy or two that embody UND hockey you have to take a serious look. 

The only surprising part of that is "no seniors ... back".

There are really only three starting goalies left in the portal (to my knowledge): Thome, Driscoll, and Kraws. The no seniors back says it's Driscoll or Kraws. But it also says it might be "Portal Guy", Harrison Feeney, and Kaleb Johnson as the the goalies. 

Ford coming in from BGSU actually makes me comfortable at forward. The team needed a center and they got it. Ford plus four freshmen is workable; but, if there is the right portal forward available you look. 

No seniors also means four new faces on defense. That's scary unless Moore vastly improves in the defensive end or one of the new four is a Portal. 

With the announcement of Ford, I'd say the portal priorities in order are: goaltender, defenseman, the right forward (don't settle, go with a recruit otherwise)

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Which one?
42nd Street or The Original on University? 

The apartments above the new one are way nicer than whatever is upstairs on the university/original location.  I'd make it work though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

The only surprising part of that is "no seniors ... back".

There are really only three starting goalies left in the portal (to my knowledge): Thome, Driscoll, and Kraws. The no seniors back says it's Driscoll or Kraws. But it also says it might be "Portal Guy", Harrison Feeney, and Kaleb Johnson as the the goalies. 

Ford coming in from BGSU actually makes me comfortable at forward. The team needed a center and they got it. Ford plus four freshmen is workable; but, if there is the right portal forward available you look. 

No seniors also means four new faces on defense. That's scary unless Moore vastly improves in the defensive end or one of the new four is a Portal. 

With the announcement of Ford, I'd say the portal priorities in order are: goaltender, defenseman, the right forward (don't settle, go with a recruit otherwise)

No way it is just Feeney and Johnson as the goalies.   I don't look at Moore as a huge liability.  He had quite a few positive moments and had problems here and there defensively, but then again so did Bast. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'll say the name again.  If Ben Kraws wants to stick in the NCHC why not UND?  With Karl and the top three d men we have why not?  New Jersey native, but we've gotten east coast kids before.

Maybe they have a line on Driscoll, but at the moment top need is goalie.  And if they need a late 30's equipment guy I'll gladly leave my wife and live above the Red Pepper. 

#sacrifice

ill sleep on the couch

10 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Blaisdell has entered the transfer portal

Reminds me of Wilkie, talented, but just never found his groove.

When it comes to transfers, my mindset is no current UND player is looking to trade up, like you might see elsewhere. There will never be a situation where a key guy, who is producing and getting big minutes will transfer. This isn't saying Blaisdell isn't talented or can't contribute elsewhere, but what I am saying is it looks like the coaching staff feels like they can overall improve their roster with this move happening. I wish Blaisdell nothing but good luck moving forward!

Edit: @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer I like the Wade Murphy comparison a lot better than Wilkie.

Edit II: I was hoping we'd see this, just wasn't thinking Blaisdell. I like the process. The Coaching staff sits down and really evaluates each player, the expectations and what gives this team the best chance to be successful.

That's what happens when a kid sits 4th line year two. Not sure he necessarily deserved a higher spot....but man....he would have had the chance at a top 6 role next year. Super dumb decision unless there's more too it.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

That's what happens when a kid sits 4th line year two. Not sure he necessarily deserved a higher spot....but man....he would have had the chance at a top 6 role next year. Super dumb decision unless there's more too it.

Do you think the Coaching staff feels this way? If they did, I don't think he'd be in the Transfer Portal. Just complete speculation, but it wouldn't make sense if they expected / thought he could be a Top 6 guy next year.

1 minute ago, AJS said:

Do you think the Coaching staff feels this way? If they did, I don't think he'd be in the Transfer Portal. Just complete speculation, but it wouldn't make sense if they expected / thought he could be a Top 6 guy next year.

To be honest, I think they probably suggested this move to him. 

So what happens to players that go into the transfer portal and aren't picked up anywhere? Players going for their free fifth year probably just don't play but what about underclassmen? Do you just go back to your school?

5 minutes ago, AJS said:

Agreed...that's why I added "if there's more to it". He could have had a poor attitude and wanted him out.