SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

19 minutes ago, jk said:

The Morrow move hurts, perhaps more for future years than next year.

I would argue the opposite. I'm not going to argue that Morrow doesn't have a higher ceiling than Johnson, but I'm guessing we'll see Johnson in a college uniform longer than Morrow (I'm calling it now that UMass will not be getting that extra year out of him). I also think Johnson will be better prepared next year, which I know wasn't the point of your post. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, AJS said:

I would argue the opposite. I'm not going to argue that Morrow doesn't have a higher ceiling than Johnson, but I'm guessing we'll see Johnson in a college uniform longer than Morrow (I'm calling it now that UMass will not be getting that extra year out of him). I also think Johnson will be better prepared next year, which I know wasn't the point of your post. 

Agreed with everything you said here.

Would have been tougher to swallow if he went to a rival or frequent opponent. Just like Ryder Donovan, he didn't like hearing that he needed a year in juniors prior to college so went shopping for an ego stroke. 

Edit: read Brad's article saying the same thing about Donovan just now, glad I'm not the only one who saw that parallel.

This again remains "best guess" based on Schlossman articles and what else we know. 

Forwards:

• Portz
  • Schmaltz
  • Ford (BGSU portal) 
  • Calder (LSSU portal)
  • Kunz
  • _______ (Constantini or Bowen)

Defense:

• Bast, L
  • Ferner (RPI portal)
  • Jandric (UAF portal)
  • Johnson

Goaltender:

• Driscoll (BSU portal)  
  • Hellsten (Halmstad Hammers, SWE)

12 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Thank me for breaking that one

The "Blind Squirrel" committee would like to know where to ship your award. :) 

Kunz had been talked up by Schlossman a couple weeks ago; even I put him as a most likely, with no second option, on the list I've kept here for last couple weeks. Since April 12, this thread, Kunz' name is the only one by one of the open slots. The last remaining is Bowen or Constantini, but I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches pulled another name out of their hat.  

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Looking at total game I think Pinto deserved the Hobey this year!

Hard to argue against that. Caulfiled is a great offensive player, however he needs work on the defensive side for sure.

1 hour ago, ChadR said:

Morrow ends his prep career this week and steps right into Force lineup in playoffs. Not a good look for us.

I don't see how it would be a bad look for us. 
Unless he lights it up in college at UMass and Johnson doesn't do well, then I'd say I'll trust the coach's decision to bring in Johnson instead.

On 5/7/2021 at 10:09 PM, ChadR said:

Morrow ends his prep career this week and steps right into Force lineup in playoffs. Not a good look for us.

I am not sure how that makes UND look bad. First, there's no one player bigger than the program. UND has a solid d-core returning, two players that could be in the NHL when their sophomore season ends. Ethan Frisch is a solid two-day d-man. Also, I trust the coaching staff on this one. I heard this kid didn't fit into the UND culture, I'll trust Berry and staff. 

On 5/7/2021 at 10:09 PM, ChadR said:

Or, given the increasing smoke around the player, and his father's involvement, it's an orchestrated PR (and CYA) move given that his USHL right were passed around more this season than a flask in old Engelstad Arena. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Or, given the increasing smoke around the player, and his father's involvement, it's an orchestrated PR (and CYA) move given that his USHL right were passed around more this season than a flask in old Engelstad Arena. 

I'm surprised you know of such things.