SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Or, given the increasing smoke around the player, and his father's involvement, it's an orchestrated PR (and CYA) move given that his USHL right were passed around more this season than a flask in old Engelstad Arena. 

We all hear about “issues” with Morrow, but what are the issues?  After the Mitchell Miller fiasco, I would hope the coaches would be proactive if the issues were a major concern.  How are these issues common knowledge to many, yet didn’t prevent us from recruiting him with all the talk of culture? Did these issues suddenly arise?

• Upvote 1

Random question that I'm not sure anyone will have an answer to. We know that everyone that was currently a college athlete gets an extra year. Not set in stone, but Berry made it clear this year that once your 4 years are up it's time to move on. My question is about how your eligibility year can / will look. Thinking more from the transfers standpoint. Since Jandric didn't play last year, will he show as a Junior on the roster? I'm guessing Calder will show up as a Senior since he's played 3 years. Why that's potentially an issue is why would Berry make an exception for Calder and not others that have been part of the program? This was a long way of saying I wonder if Calder will actually only be here for a year, unless you can manipulate the roster and since he has 2 years left you put him as a RS Junior on the roster.

Does what I'm trying to say make sense?

The terms "senior" and "sophomore" have lost their meaning with this strange new world of "extra year", so I think I get what you're trying to say. 

It's like the roster should list "current eligibility year" or "eligible years after this season". 

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

Random question that I'm not sure anyone will have an answer to. We know that everyone that was currently a college athlete gets an extra year. Not set in stone, but Berry made it clear this year that once your 4 years are up it's time to move on. My question is about how your eligibility year can / will look. Thinking more from the transfers standpoint. Since Jandric didn't play last year, will he show as a Junior on the roster? I'm guessing Calder will show up as a Senior since he's played 3 years. Why that's potentially an issue is why would Berry make an exception for Calder and not others that have been part of the program? This was a long way of saying I wonder if Calder will actually only be here for a year, unless you can manipulate the roster and since he has 2 years left you put him as a RS Junior on the roster.

Does what I'm trying to say make sense?

I’ll go out on a limb and say that if Mishmash, GUchi, Adams, keirstad. Etc.; if any of those wanted to play a fifth year Berry would have allowed it. Calder will be in a different situation than this past years seniors, he would be playing a fifth year of hockey but only two with UND. It is speculation that really doesn’t matter at this point, he hasn’t even suited up yet for UND. If he has a terrific year next year, he’ll sign with his NHL team. If he has a mediocre year,......? 

12 minutes ago, UND85 said:

Any information out there on season ticket renewals dates? Usually I get an invoice by now.

Go online to your account and renew. The only notice I received was an email directing me to renew online. 

• Upvote 1

Looking back. It's shocking and a bit criminal that UND did not win a title with Toews and Oshie.  I think the D and G were deficient.  I want to not look back at Sanderson the same way.  It's possible the F and G will be deficient this year, although maybe the portal will help there.  

Sanderson is that kind of player.  Anything I say will put the expectations too high, but he was seriously dominant at the end of the year. At 18.  At D. Imagine this year, stronger, more experienced.  He could tower over the league. 

Looking back again, we seriously had a team with Zajac, Oshie and Spirko on a line, and Stafford, Toews and Duncan on another. 

14 hours ago, jk said:

Looking back. It's shocking and a bit criminal that UND did not win a title with Toews and Oshie.  I think the D and G were deficient.  I want to not look back at Sanderson the same way.  It's possible the F and G will be deficient this year, although maybe the portal will help there.  

Sanderson is that kind of player.  Anything I say will put the expectations too high, but he was seriously dominant at the end of the year. At 18.  At D. Imagine this year, stronger, more experienced.  He could tower over the league. 

Looking back again, we seriously had a team with Zajac, Oshie and Spirko on a line, and Stafford, Toews and Duncan on another. 

In a best of 7 or 5 series, I'm sure they would have won a title, just as Mich would likely have won the one we got in '97.   But in a one-and-done tournament, all bets are off.  Bounces and deflections.  Denver could have won that semi game in '16. 

That's why I'm sure I'm in the minority in how I value team accomplishments.   Banners are great, and the coaches and boys work toward that goall all year.  But I'd rather watch great team winning hockey games weekend after weekend with no banner at the end than see a "good" team put it all together at the end and win the banner.   I guess I just don't get that much long-term pleasure from the bragging rights that go along with the title.  But again, it's all about the players and staff, and it's a very important goal to them, as it should be. 

I miss Sparky. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, burd said:

In a best of 7 or 5 series, ... 

That's exactly while I bemoan hockey becoming soccer (1-0 scores). In a 3-2 game a bad puck off a seam is 20% of the scoring. In a 6-4 game it's 10% of the scoring. I'd like the game decided more on skill and talent than the slings and arrows of misfortune. 

1 hour ago, burd said:

I miss Sparky. 

"Vaht?" -- Watzisnaem "Perky" Sparko  :D 

6 hours ago, burd said:

In a best of 7 or 5 series, I'm sure they would have won a title, just as Mich would likely have won the one we got in '97.   But in a one-and-done tournament, all bets are off.  Bounces and deflections.  Denver could have won that semi game in '16. 

That's why I'm sure I'm in the minority in how I value team accomplishments.   Banners are great, and the coaches and boys work toward that goall all year.  But I'd rather watch great team winning hockey games weekend after weekend with no banner at the end than see a "good" team put it all together at the end and win the banner.   I guess I just don't get that much long-term pleasure from the bragging rights that go along with the title.  But again, it's all about the players and staff, and it's a very important goal to them, as it should be. 

I miss Sparky. 

'16' championship was a bonus for that team, they were a joy to watch every game they played....

18 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Expecting our roster to be finished up in the next couple of weeks, but since it's a slow Monday for me, anyone want to discuss the captains this year?

This is what I'm going with:

Sendo - C
Jasper - A
Sanderson - A
Hainer - A

That's how I see it. 

34 minutes ago, tnt said:

That's how I see it. 

I feel like Juddy and Frisch should get some thoughts for it and I think I had Frisch in my guesses before simply because of wanting another D-man, but I think the list above feels pretty cut and dried.

On 4/21/2021 at 10:49 AM, The Sicatoka said:

That another goalie hasn't been named yet (portal or late recruit) tells me there's a rabbit to be pulled out of a hat, and Karl Goehring is the magician. 

On 4/28/2021 at 8:36 PM, brianvf said:

WARNING: The sound you are about to hear is my shoulder popping out of socket as I pat myself on the back.

I'd say picking up a Swedish goalie that was on none of our radars qualifies as "rabbit to be pulled out of a hat, and Karl Goehring is the magician". I called what was coming. :)

< pop >

Ouch. 

• Like 1

Since 2015-16, UND has gone with a C plus four or more A's three times (twice under Ausmus, and under Kawaguchi). 

This past season it was Kawaguchi with JBD, Kierstad, Senden, Weatherby. <- The obvious captain, the undergrad surely gone, the senior, and the heirs apparent. Two D, three forwards.

I could see a similar pattern this season: Senden with Weatherby, Hain, Sanderson, Frisch. (Sanderson is almost surely gone and Frisch is the transition heir 2021-22).

The only thing that we're not accounting for is there is some serious leadership coming in from the transfer portal. Ford wore the C at BGSU; Calder wore an A at LSSU. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Since 2015-16, UND has gone with a C plus four or more A's three times (twice under Ausmus, and under Kawaguchi). 

This past season it was Kawaguchi with JBD, Kierstad, Senden, Weatherby. <- The obvious captain, the undergrad surely gone, the senior, and the heirs apparent. Two D, three forwards.

I could see a similar pattern this season: Senden with Weatherby, Hain, Sanderson, Frisch. (Sanderson is almost surely gone and Frisch is the transition heir 2021-22).

The only thing that we're not accounting for is there is some serious leadership coming in from the transfer portal. Ford wore the C at BGSU; Calder wore an A at LSSU. 

I thought about Ford, too. I wouldn't hate that at all. If he gets an A (or Calder for that matter), that would show A LOT about them.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I thought about Ford, too. I wouldn't hate that at all. If he gets an A (or Calder for that matter), that would show A LOT about them.

I think it’s unlikely, though both clearly have leadership capabilities.

I’d say it depends when they vote on captains. Because I’m not sure most of our returning players have even met Ford or Calder yet, and they’re the ones who vote on captains. 

5 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think it’s unlikely, though both clearly have leadership capabilities.

I’d say it depends when they vote on captains. Because I’m not sure most of our returning players have even met Ford or Calder yet, and they’re the ones who vote on captains. 

Definitely think it's unlikely. I'd assume all of the transfers will be in GF very soon, probably for summer session and offseason skates. Will be incredibly vital to get them in and get used to the UND way. If Ford or Calder can make a quick impact/impression on the team, you never know.