SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

2 hours ago, tnt said:

To me if that wasn't going to be the case, then it was very odd that he committed so long ago before they had a good track record in Junior hockey.  It says he committed October 2018, and he played for Central in 2018. 

Usually "depth" guys don't commit years before they are expected to arrive on campus. I would say the time frame is usually 6 months or less than when they arrive on campus.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/6988435-The-Daily-Skate-UNDs-nonconference-opponents-set-for-2021-22-season-schedule-release-coming-soon?fbclid=IwAR36acgS9kxnaUp_Qku0J08VUFBYCNsciNJQkEAzAwXXAgwskaAnmCp8xxQ

UND will play 11 nonconference games -- seven at home, three on the road and one at a neutral site.

The Fighting Hawks will play two-game home series against Minnesota, Cornell and Niagara. They'll play a home-and-away series against Bemidji State. They will play a road series at Quinnipiac in Hamden, Conn., and they'll play a single game against Penn State in Nashville's Bridgestone Arena.

The two-time defending Penrose Cup champions will open the regular season Oct. 8-9 against Niagara. Then, they'll take on Bemidji State in a showdown that will feature Beaver transfer goalie Zach Driscoll facing his old team.

UND will travel to Quinnipiac on Oct. 22-23 and close the month with the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game against Penn State in Nashville on Oct. 30. The Gopher series will be played Thanksgiving weekend and the Cornell series at the end of Christmas break.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Not loving playing a presumably top tier team in Cornell when we will most likely be without Sanderson and Kleven for the World Juniors.  Hopefully no other defensemen are injured, creating a circumstance like last year in the Pod when we were depleted on defense.

Why doesn't UND work with St. Cloud or Duluth and play one game against Bemidji then the next against Mankato. St. Cloud or Duluth would play the team UND doesn't play. I'm tied of UND playing Bemidji yearly when UND could add a better opponent. Having a series where UND plays Bemidji one night then Mankato the next at least gives UND an extra OOC opponent.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/14/2021 at 4:55 PM, AJS said:

Usually "depth" guys don't commit years before they are expected to arrive on campus. I would say the time frame is usually 6 months or less than when they arrive on campus.

No doubt they believed he could develop into a decent college goalie, but I also think the knowledge was there that it wasn’t a huge risk because he has always dreamed of playing for UND and even if he was needed as the third goalie, he would fill that role with character.  Being a local guy that has always wanted to play for UND, I would think UND could have waited to watch him play more junior hockey to see how he performs on a stage where he wasn’t playing with a dominant team in front of him.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:07 PM, cberkas said:

I'm tied of UND playing Bemidji yearly when UND could add a better opponent. 

Yeah, well, I'm tired of driving 2 hrs to GF when the Sanford Center is within walking distance of my house.  Stop trying to take away the one time I don't have to travel to watch the Sioux:p

This again remains "best guess" based on Schlossman articles and what else we know. 

Forwards:

• Portz
  • Schmaltz
  • Ford (BGSU portal) 
  • _______ (Kunz)
  • _______ (Constantini)
  • _______ (portal)

Defense:

• Bast, L
  • Ferner (RPI portal)
  • Jandric (UAF portal)
  • _______ (Morrow or Johnson or portal) 

Goaltender:

• Driscoll (BSU portal)  
  • _______ (late recruit or portal) 

16 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

This again remains "best guess" based on Schlossman articles and what else we know. 

Forwards:

• Portz
  • Schmaltz
  • Ford (BGSU portal) 
  • _______ (Kunz)
  • _______ (Constantini)
  • _______ (portal)

Defense:

• Bast, L
  • Ferner (RPI portal)
  • Jandric (UAF portal)
  • _______ (Morrow or Johnson or portal) 

Goaltender:

• Driscoll (BSU portal)  
  • _______ (late recruit or portal) 

Hard for me to understand why a top program like UND with a guy like Goering on the bench has to go to the transfer portal to get a goalie. 

6 minutes ago, dden3 said:

Hard for me to understand why a top program like UND with a guy like Goering on the bench has to go to the transfer portal to get a goalie. 

Scheel left early; his original replacement, Cameron Rowe, is now at Wisconsin; our current recruits are still developing; and Driscoll is a superior option.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That another goalie hasn't been named yet (portal or late recruit) tells me there's a rabbit to be pulled out of a hat, and Karl Goehring is the magician. 

Boy I hope so.  Getting Mr. Driscoll was huge, and I believe he is a better option next season than Thome (hides behind wall).

Going forward though after Driscoll leaves.....you've got Kaleb Johnson, and Feeney for 2022-2023.  I see a couple of NTDP goalies are uncommitted, but I never hold my breath on those guys coming here.  Kaleb needs another year of junior hockey (hopefully USHL), and the same for Hedquist in Dubuque.

Wonder what the deal with Kraws is for Miami?  I thought he'd be picked up quickly by someone based on the eye test from when we played them, and he has some international experience playing for Team USA.  Persson was sensational for them and deserved all the awards he got, but getting hung out to dry a lot would be a good indicator of why Kraws didn't have very good numbers.   

UND's 2021-22 schedule

Oct. 2 -- MANITOBA (exh.)
Oct. 8-9 -- NIAGARA
Oct. 15-16 -- at Bemidji State/BEMIDJI STATE
Oct. 22-23 -- at Quinnipiac
Oct. 30 -- vs. Penn State in Nashville
Nov. 5-6 -- DENVER
Nov. 12-13 -- at Miami
Nov. 19-20 -- MINNESOTA DULUTH
Nov. 26-27 -- MINNESOTA
Dec. 3-4 -- at St. Cloud State
Dec. 10-11 -- at Colorado College
Jan. 7-8 -- CORNELL
Jan. 14-15 -- OMAHA
Jan. 21-22 -- at Western Michigan
Jan. 28-29 -- ST. CLOUD STATE
Feb. 4-5 -- COLORADO COLLEGE
Feb. 11-12 -- off
Feb. 18-19 -- at Minnesota Duluth
Feb. 25-26 -- WESTERN MICHIGAN
March 4-5 -- at Omaha
March 11-12 -- NCHC first round, site of higher seed
March 18-19 -- NCHC Frozen Faceoff, Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
March 25-27 -- NCAA regionals (Loveland, Colo., Allentown, Pa., Albany, N.Y., Worcester, Mass.)
April 7-9 -- NCAA Frozen Four, Boston

44 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Really? His numbers were very good. 9-2-1 record, 2.05 GAA and .933 save percentage. Those are solid numbers, especially for a young goaltender. 

Maybe he made strides but his year in Des Moines wasn’t that way. Shut down brick wall one night, give up 5 the next. Not good numbers. We’ll see how he does with a full year with non cons.