SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Why is everyone so enamored with a backup/third string goalie? Hahaha. We'll be ok.

Why?

Thinking beyond 2021-22 season
Thinking if injuries occur
Thinking about needing three goalies in practice (to eat pucks)

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Seeing what happened to Western at the beginning of the year is a reminder. One awkward twist of the knee/ankle/etc and suddenly you're skating uphill all season.

Of course, but I don't think a guy that is going to steal games is in the portal. Frankly, we're just going to have to ride Driscoll and pray a guy like Feeney can get it done in a pinch, if needed.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Why?

Thinking beyond 2021-22 season
Thinking if injuries occur
Thinking about needing three goalies in practice (to eat pucks)

Totally fair about beyond the 21-22 season. But, also remember the portal will still be in play.

Injuries I get and we've had a few with goalies in the past handful of years. It's Driscoll's net, though. No question. 

We can get a practice goalie from campus. Done that before. 

Honestly, wasn't trying to be harsh, but feels like a little bit too much panic from some one here about this, at the moment. For the future, I don't disagree, but I know the coaches will find someone soon for a couple years down the road.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Who?

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/7005284-UND-picks-up-goaltender-from-Sweden

The Fighting Hawks have received a commitment from Swedish goaltender Jakob Hellsten, who will come to campus this fall as a freshman.

Hellsten will join a goaltending group that already includes Zach Driscoll, a senior transfer from Bemidji State, and Harrison Feeney, who has been at UND for two-and-a-half seasons.

The 5-foot-11, 181-pound Hellsten is 21 years old, currently playing for the Halmstad Hammers in the Swedish hockey league, HockeyEttan. In 24 games this season, he is 15-8 with a .908 save percentage and a 2.62 goals-against average.

Hellsten has played with Swedish national teams as a 16-, 17- and an 18-year old.

Hellsten's father, Joa, is a goaltending coach in Sweden.

• Like 1

This again remains "best guess" based on Schlossman articles and what else we know. 

Forwards:

• Portz
  • Schmaltz
  • Ford (BGSU portal) 
  • Calder (LSSU portal)
  • _______ (Kunz)
  • _______ (Constantini or Bowen)

Defense:

• Bast, L
  • Ferner (RPI portal)
  • Jandric (UAF portal)
  • _______ (Morrow or Johnson or portal) 

Goaltender:

• Driscoll (BSU portal)  
  • Hellsten (Halmstad Hammers, SWE)

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

This again remains "best guess" based on Schlossman articles and what else we know. 

Forwards:

• Portz
  • Schmaltz
  • Ford (BGSU portal) 
  • Calder (LSSU portal)
  • _______ (Kunz)

Defense:

• Bast, L
  • Ferner (RPI portal)
  • Jandric (UAF portal)

Goaltender:

• Driscoll (BSU portal)  

Have appreciated this running list, thanks Sic

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/7009962-UNDs-new-Swedish-goalie-commit-Jakob-Hellsten-ready-for-first-North-American-experience

Hellsten seems like a fun kid. Pretty awesome how much he already knows about UND. Hopefully that pride will drive him to be a key cog in the years to come. 

That might have been my favorite commit write up I've ever read! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/7009962-UNDs-new-Swedish-goalie-commit-Jakob-Hellsten-ready-for-first-North-American-experience

Hellsten seems like a fun kid. Pretty awesome how much he already knows about UND. Hopefully that pride will drive him to be a key cog in the years to come. 

Wish they would have mentioned how Sioux became aware of this kid...

On 4/29/2021 at 7:50 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Forwards:

• Portz
  • Schmaltz
  • Ford (BGSU portal) 
  • Calder (LSSU portal)
  • _______ (Kunz)

Defense:

• Bast, L
  • Ferner (RPI portal)
  • Jandric (UAF portal)

Goaltender:

• Driscoll (BSU portal)  

Sounds like the roster is getting really close to being complete for the Fall. Also sounds like Morrow is indeed coming in, but not final yet. I trust the coaches to work through any stupid issues and make this kid as good as his skills say he is.

EDIT: Saaaawwwwwing and a miss on Morrow lol :D

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

Sounds like morrow flipped to UMASS....never thought I’d see something like this. Huge loss.

Whoops. Welp, now my last post looks silly. 

If the kid has character issues, I am not upset. I trust the coaches.

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

Whoops. Welp, now my last post looks silly. 

If the kid has character issues, I am not upset. I trust the coaches.

Sounds like Berry was trying to push him a year...he wanted to play this year. If so, you have to bring players in with his skills. I’ve heard he may have been a tough recruit...his dad calls the shots and he’s known to be difficult 

19 minutes ago, AJS said:

That tells me Berry would rather have Johnson than Morrow. We've been down this road before, I'll trust the coaching staff to bring in the player they feel will add the most to the team. With the smoke surrounding Morrow and potential issues, I'm not even disappointed. 

Yep. Bingo.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him drop in the draft, a bit.

26 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Sounds like Berry was trying to push him a year...he wanted to play this year. If so, you have to bring players in with his skills. I’ve heard he may have been a tough recruit...his dad calls the shots and he’s known to be difficult 

Fortunately, no, we don't have to. We have solid talent and if he's having the issues I've heard, it could very well be addition by subtraction. Again, I trust our coaches.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Fortunately, no, we don't have to. We have solid talent and if he's having the issues I've heard, it could very well be addition by subtraction. Again, I trust our coaches.

I get it. Obviously your response is correct, just a tough one to miss out on. I first saw him play last year, unreal skill set.

But to your point...have to trust the coaches. First heard of issues around thanksgiving when he didn’t show up to the force