SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I get it. Obviously your response is correct, just a tough one to miss out on. I first saw him play last year, unreal skill set.

But to your point...have to trust the coaches. First heard of issues around thanksgiving when he didn’t show up to the force 

Definitely agree with you about his skills. Kid can flat out play. I'd rather go with what we have and not mess up the locker room and I'm sure you and I agree there.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Sounds like the roster is getting really close to being complete for the Fall. Also sounds like Morrow is indeed coming in, but not final yet. I trust the coaches to work through any stupid issues and make this kid as good as his skills say he is.

LOL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChadR said:

LOL.

Hahahaha SO bad. I got a text no more than 30 minutes after I posted that that Morrow was gonezo hahaha. 

Had a conversation with a buddy a week ago that he was coming in at that point, in all likelihood. In my defense, I did cover my a$$ with "but not final yet" haha. Whoopsie lol.

10 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

In the past year, Morrow has been with:

- Shattuck
- Muskegon
- Sioux City
- Fargo
- UND
- UMass

Red flag? I think so.

There are concerns with his pops...but the way you wrote your post is a bit misleading. He’s basically been with shattuck the entire time. Not sure where you grabbed those ushl squads. Was drafted by Youngstown and was never planning to play there long term (many kids make those decisions). His rights were traded to Fargo end of last year...again decided not to go which is his call (which was odd given he’d graduated and decided to play post grad year at shattuck...but should be a true senior in hs this year). I heard him not going to Fargo raised some concerns. Either way, his choice to stay at shattuck (maybe to try and win a natty...which we all know about). Flipped to UMASS to play right away...which given his skill set makes sense.  

18 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

There are concerns with his pops...but the way you wrote your post is a bit misleading. He’s basically been with shattuck the entire time. Not sure where you grabbed those ushl squads. Was drafted by Youngstown and was never planning to play there long term (many kids make those decisions). His rights were traded to Fargo end of last year...again decided not to go which is his call (which was odd given he’d graduated and decided to play post grad year at shattuck...but should be a true senior in hs this year). I heard him not going to Fargo raised some concerns. Either way, his choice to stay at shattuck (maybe to try and win a natty...which we all know about). Flipped to UMASS to play right away...which given his skill set makes sense.  

It's not just his pops, but what you said was totally fair. Sorry, Youngstown, not Muskegon. He was traded to Sioux City. 

I was saying it largely in jest, but the movement (or even the rumors/trades/discussions) should clearly be a point of pause. Well, to me at least.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It's not just his pops, but what you said was totally fair. I was saying it in jest, but the movement (or even the rumors/trades/discussions) should clearly be a point of pause. 

There are known concerns surrounding this kid...that is true.

moving on, now schloss is saying they’ll bring in johnson. That decent but hoping he plays. I hate when they ring in younger skilled players and they sit (think Moore). Either way, with the overagers we have coming in I think we should be (at the very least) a top half team in the nchc 

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It's not just his pops, but what you said was totally fair. Sorry, Youngstown, not Muskegon. He was traded to Sioux City. 

I was saying it largely in jest, but the movement (or even the rumors/trades/discussions) should clearly be a point of pause. Well, to me at least.

Here's a better break down:

Aside from playing for Shattuck, he played in two USHL games last season with the Youngstown Phantoms. Since last season, his USHL rights have transferred a few times. He was dealt to the Sioux City Musketeers initially and then the Musketeers flipped his right to the Fargo Force. But, with that being said, there is no indication that Morrow will move to the USHL full-time. In May, Morrow sat down with Brian Elliott Schlossman of the Grand Forks Herald and the 2021 NHL Draft eligible prospect indicated that “if the season starts on time, he’ll be in Fargo”. Unfortunately, the USHL season was delayed and thus Morrow opted to start the season in Minnesota.

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

There are known concerns surrounding this kid...that is true.

moving on, now schloss is saying they’ll bring in johnson. That decent but hoping he plays. I hate when they ring in younger skilled players and they sit (think Moore). Either way, with the overagers we have coming in I think we should be (at the very least) a top half team in the nchc 

Big fan of Johnson and I hope it's the right move and trust that it is.

This again remains "best guess" based on Schlossman articles and what else we know. 

Forwards:

• Portz
  • Schmaltz
  • Ford (BGSU portal) 
  • Calder (LSSU portal)
  • _______ (Kunz)
  • _______ (Constantini or Bowen)

Defense:

• Bast, L
  • Ferner (RPI portal)
  • Jandric (UAF portal)
  • Johnson

Goaltender:

• Driscoll (BSU portal)  
  • Hellsten (Halmstad Hammers, SWE)

He sounds like one of those kids that leaves at mid season if his dad determines he’s not getting enough playing time on the PP units. ;):D

Either way, we’ve known about the “issues” surrounding him for awhile. I’m trusting the coaches on this one, and either way the d-corps is a strength of next seasons team, especially with the best dman in the nation returning. :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Per Schlossman:

UND's D for 2021-22 very likely will be (in no particular order, but by shot):

Jake Sanderson (LH) Ethan Frisch (RH) 
Tyler Kleven (LH) Brent Johnson (RH)
Chris Jandric (LH) Brady Ferner (RH)
Cooper Moore (LH)
Luke Bast (LH)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, brianvf said:

He sounds like one of those kids that leaves at mid season if his dad determines he’s not getting enough playing time on the PP units. ;):D

Either way, we’ve known about the “issues” surrounding him for awhile. I’m trusting the coaches on this one, and either way the d-corps is a strength of next seasons team, especially with the best dman in the nation returning. :)

That is why I have so much respect for Sanderson, if anyone should complain about PP time it would be him.  He just learned the ropes the whole year and really earned his increased time by the end of the year. Really excited to see him take over next year.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, tnt said:

That is why I have so much respect for Sanderson, if anyone should complain about PP time it would be him.  He just learned the ropes the whole year and really earned his increased time by the end of the year. Really excited to see him take over next year.

I am excited about Sanderson this year too, but we should probably be a little cautious with what we expect from him.  He's the best D talent we've seen at UND for a while, and we've seen a lot, but that was a hill of a roster he played with last year, and his defensive and responsibilities will probably be a little more to handle this year.  

33 minutes ago, burd said:

I am excited about Sanderson this year too, but we should probably be a little cautious with what we expect from him.  He's the best D talent we've seen at UND for a while, and we've seen a lot, but that was a hill of a roster he played with last year, and his defensive and responsibilities will probably be a little more to handle this year.  

...and with all that talent, he was the dominant force in the biggest game of the year as an 18 year old. I think we just saw a glimpse of how dominant he can be and we will need him to be a key cog next year if we want to contend.  He is a high first round pick for a reason, and I’m sure coaches have already set expectations for him, and I’m sure he has high aspirations for himself, knowing it will most likely be his last go around in college.

8 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I'm picking Sanderson for the Hobey.

If all the voters looked at total game, he certainly has a good chance.  Don't know that his numbers will scream out like Cale Makar's, but the whole package is undeniable. I do think the coaches will let him go more within the context of the game, much like they did when they trailed Omaha last year. 

16 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

This again remains "best guess" based on Schlossman articles and what else we know. 

Forwards:

• Portz
  • Schmaltz
  • Ford (BGSU portal) 
  • Calder (LSSU portal)
  • _______ (Kunz)
  • _______ (Constantini or Bowen)

Defense:

• Bast, L
  • Ferner (RPI portal)
  • Jandric (UAF portal)
  • Johnson

Goaltender:

• Driscoll (BSU portal)  
  • Hellsten (Halmstad Hammers, SWE)

I'm going with Kunz / Bowen to round off the forwards. The BCHL Pod is going to be tough to evaluate, but with a few games left in the pod, Bowen is leading his team in Goals and Points.