SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Scott Morrow (former recruit, now committed to UMass) is ranked very high by some of the experts. Scott Wheeler of the Athletic has him at 33 (and his coach says he is a 1st round talent), The Hockey News has him at 25, and NHL.com has him at 39. I'm still not sure why we did not let him come in this year. 

48 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Scott Morrow (former recruit, now committed to UMass) is ranked very high by some of the experts. Scott Wheeler of the Athletic has him at 33 (and his coach says he is a 1st round talent), The Hockey News has him at 25, and NHL.com has him at 39. I'm still not sure why we did not let him come in this year. 

He's shown he's not mature enough. It really is as simple as that. He didn't fit our culture. 

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He's shown he's not mature enough. It really is as simple as that. He didn't fit our culture. 

That sounds like coach speak and explains absolutely nothing. What the hell does that really mean? What did he do that shows "he's not mature enough"? What did he do that he "didn't fit our culture"? He apparently was mature enough for UMass and "fit" UMass' "culture". Why not here?

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

That sounds like coach speak and explains absolutely nothing. What the hell does that really mean? What did he do that shows "he's not mature enough"? What did he do that he "didn't fit our culture"? He apparently was mature enough for UMass and "fit" UMass' "culture". Why not here?

Some coaches want blue Chippas some don’t 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I guess I thought it was because the coaches didn’t think he was NCAA-ready. Morrow seems to have only played 10 or so USHL games. Majority has been prep hockey. 

I know there are instances of players jumping straight to NCAA from prep hockey but there are also examples of players struggling with the transition. 

7 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I guess I thought it was because the coaches didn’t think he was NCAA-ready. Morrow seems to have only played 10 or so USHL games. Majority has been prep hockey. 

I know there are instances of players jumping straight to NCAA from prep hockey but there are also examples of players struggling with the transition. 

UND has had many SSM kids (much like Morrow) who jumped straight from SSM to college and didn't miss a beat. A few that come to mind are Zach Parise, Jonathan Toews and Drew Stafford. 

2 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

UND has had many SSM kids (much like Morrow) who jumped straight from SSM to college and didn't miss a beat. A few that come to mind are Zach Parise, Jonathan Toews and Drew Stafford. 

All forwards. Mistakes by a forward can be more forgiving vs a mistake made by a defenseman. Considering Berry was a defenseman prior to coaching, I trust his decision on the matter. But yes, still sucks that Morrow decided to go elsewhere. C’est la vie. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

Just look through past threads on our recruits. The kid apparently came with some really, really deep red flags. Not all his fault, but certainly not stopped by him. 

I've heard some pretty awful stories about him and I'm not upset he's gone. I'm upset talent like that won't find a way to avoid the nonsense and just play, however.

29 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Definitely a part of it, but I've heard it's more about the other stuff. 

I would like to shift the discussion to the kids that we have in the fold now and possible line combos to start the season.  I think this will be a big "chemistry finding" start to the season so I thought it would be fun to get some discussion going to get some folks thought on the starting groups.  I think we have a good stable of centers with Ford entering the group, so here it goes:

Calder - Weatherby - Caulfield

Gaber - Ford - Budy                    

Hain - Senden - Schmaltz

Ness - Jamernik - Kunz

Sanderson - Frisch

Kleven - Moore

Johnson - Jandric

The goaltending is easy with Driscoll starting and Hellsten as the backup.  I think they will alternate getting in Costantini into the lineup, and I think Budy was a difficult choice for me on the second line between he and Hain.  I think Ness will get the initial nod with a couple of freshies or Albrecht getting a few games as well.  The extra skater will be interesting with alternating between an extra D and F.  I actually also thought about putting a Calder - Ford - Ford - Budy line together and call it the T-Line (Transfer line).  Just some thoughts and I think we have some good pieces that can make a great looking puzzle for a run this year.

Be fun to see who goes first between Johnson and Morrow in the draft.  I'll bet Morrow because of Johnson's injury.

Both talented players, but I'm fine with them going with Johnson.  Been hearing for months that Morrow was a flight risk, guess he proved some folks correct in the matter. 

• Upvote 1

Remember how many were saying the coaches had to make room for Ryder Donovan at the expense of Judd Caulfield?  Don’t know that was a big miss. At some point the coaches had to make the decision of who was more ready, and they chose Johnson.  They will always be open to second guessing, but that is part of the job.  I think they chose right in Caulfield’s case.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Definitely a part of it, but I've heard it's more about the other stuff. 

That's right....he'd be in our top 4 pretty quick. Has to work on his D zone presence but the kid is off the charts skilled. One of the reasons he's ranked in the 30s-40s are the red flags. The kid is a first round talent. Again there were a couple red flags that I've heard of...plus what he did to Fargo this year was fairly interesting. Fargo ended up working out and they made the playoffs regardless.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

That's right....he'd be in our top 4 pretty quick. Has to work on his D zone presence but the kid is off the charts skilled. One of the reasons he's ranked in the 30s-40s are the red flags. The kid is a first round talent. Again there were a couple red flags that I've heard of...plus what he did to Fargo this year was fairly interesting. Fargo ended up working out and they made the playoffs regardless.

This is a bit of an understatement, IMO. I recently watched a video of him playing behind the net in the offensive zone for over a minute while leaving the rest of his linemates out to dry. He's slowly getting back while a forward skates straight trying to stop two separate odd-man rushes. Happened all game, too. No need to pile on to the kid, but that stuff wouldn't fly here.

13 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I asked an individual who shall remain nameless from the Fargo Force about the kid and they just smiled and said no comment.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Frankly, sleeping on it, I'd hate to lose Karl Goehring back to the pro ranks. 

If that hack Hakstol (see what I did there) takes Dane and Karl.......:huh:

If any coach was to get plucked I would bet Dane.  Which would leave room for a Lamoureux to move up from the USHL, or an Ulmer to become a full time assistant.

If I was a Caps fan I'd also be a bit on edge.....