SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Berry & Co. has done a wonderful job in nabbing the right combination of players from the portal. I'd say it's been a success. I was a little worried about the turnover UND experienced but I'm excited again for the 21-22 season.

Guessing backup goalie would be the last portal grab for UND?

Schloss had a fun stat:

UND's staff doing what it can to replace some offense...
NCAA's top-returning goal scorers
18 - Colin Bilek, Army
16 - Connor Ford, transferring to UND
16 - Ashton Calder, transferring to UND
15 - Ethan Somoza, Bemidji State
14 - Jasper Weatherby, UND (tied with four others)

• Upvote 3

Well, this is amazing. I think this kind of wraps things up in terms of movement unless we get another G, so I am gonna take a shot at lines because I'm bored lol.

First... let's do Captains:

Sendo - C
Weatherby - A
Sanderson - A
Hain - A

Lines:

Gaber - Weatherby - Caulfield
Hain - Ford - Calder
Kunz - Sendo - Budy
Schmaltz - Jammer - Constantini/Portz
Ness, Albrecht

Sanderson - Frisch
Kleven - Moore
Jandric - Ferner/Bast/Morrow/Johnson

Driscoll
Feeney
Transfer/Walk-on

2 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Berry & Co. has done a wonderful job in nabbing the right combination of players from the portal. I'd say it's been a success. I was a little worried about the turnover UND experienced but I'm excited again for the 21-22 season.

It’s good that got some players from the portal because there is no high enders coming in other than Morrow...and we don’t even know if he’s coming in yet.

But, really tough to know what these guys will bring...definitely a weaker conference top to bottom. On a positive note, they’re all  old so that should help a bit.  Here’s hoping Bubs lands some high enders over the next few years 

3 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Hopefully it is the right combination, as team chemistry is a huge component  to success.  We saw that with all those seniors that all lived and interacted all day after practice.  Resentment can sometimes creep in from guys that lose ice time.  As long as we continue down the road of open competition and earning your ice time we should be good. I think guys like Ness and Albrecht can be solid contributors finding a role like Keane, and possibly progressing into another role in the future.  No doubt we added some nice talent, now we need to mold it.  

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/6995440-UND-lands-commitment-from-Lake-Superior-State-transfer-Ashton-Calder?fbclid=IwAR2uec932TXYED2z1nYu7gfoxq1gzXMyM1fOqPKIiBgVhxlaGWXbVZIFDpk

I didn't realize that Calder was a Sault Ste Marie native playing college in his hometown.

"I've been in (Sault Ste. Marie) for 20 of the 23 years of my life," Calder said. "I wanted to see what college was like away from home and get that experience. That was one of the main reasons I decided to go in the portal. And I'm super excited to see what the University of North Dakota is like."

Calder became one of the most coveted players in the transfer portal over the weekend as teams looked toward someone who could be a top-six winger.

"It's definitely been a different experience," Calder said. "It felt a little more like free agency than college recruiting, but it was definitely cool. I committed to Lake State when I was 16, so I didn't really go through that experience. I was happy with the school I picked right away. This time, it was a little more hectic, a lot more note-taking and kind of going with my gut on the final decision."

That final decision was UND.

Calder said his conversations with the coaching staff sold him.

"It felt like a good fit for me and for everyone involved," Calder said. "They made me feel like I was part of the family. It was a really good experience with them.

"I'm pretty excited. I've never played a game at North Dakota, but I've heard a lot of crazy good things. I'm excited to step on the ice and see what it's like."

Calder's best attribute is his shot. He scored 12 goals as a sophomore and 16 as a junior for Lake Superior State. In addition to his hat trick in the WCHA title game against Northern Michigan, Calder was the only player to score on UMass goalie Filip Lindberg in the NCAA tournament this season. Lindberg posted shutouts in his other two games, including the national championship.

Calder said he expects to finish his finance degree this year. He has the ability to play a fifth year at UND as well, and has noted the school's MBA program.

8 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

Just read that.  Holy crap!  Better to be a have than a have not.  

Agree, but I can't believe the NCAA doesn't see that is what is created by this.  If you are not part of the haves, how long are you going to remain interested when your program consistently gets raided.

UND's losses are broken into two groups, Seniors and Early Departures. I've felt this entire time that the coaching staff is using the transfer portal to replace the early departures. (For that purpose I'm excluding Ferner replacement of Rieger).

Let's pretend there was a subjective Madden ranking type system for college hockey.

• Early Departures (Pinto / Blaisdell / JBD / Scheel) 
  • Additions via transfer portal (Ford / Calder / Jandric / Driscoll)

Taking emotion out of it, do you think the average for the "Additions" would be higher than the "Early Departures"? I'm not starting a who would you rather want conversation. Just that simple question.

UND is absolutely in the conversation in the NCHC and Nationally next year. 

This again remains "best guess" based on Schlossman articles and what else we know. 

Forwards:

• Portz
  • Schmaltz
  • Ford (BGSU portal) 
  • Calder (LSSU portal)
  • _______ (Kunz)
  • _______ (Constantini)

Defense:

• Bast, L
  • Ferner (RPI portal)
  • Jandric (UAF portal)
  • _______ (Morrow or Johnson or portal) 

Goaltender:

• Driscoll (BSU portal)  
  • _______ (late recruit or portal)

I'd say the focus has to be a third goaltender right now because the rest is reasonably in focus. 

Schlossman in a recent article "speculated" that Johnson and Hedquist each need another year in juniors. (He also speculated on interest in Calder so he seems to "speculate" well.) 

The question is are they looking for a two or a three. I say that because all season Karl Goehring was saying that Harrison Feeney would be ready if disaster (goalie-geddon?) came and he was needed.

Might Feeney be the projected two in the staff's mind? If that were the case the staff would be more willing to bring in Johnson as the three I'd think. So that leaves me to wonder ... and wait. 

Should be fun. :) 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

You really think they care?

They enjoy it! They are Chaos Masters. 

What's a Chaos Master? One that thrives in chaos, and they derive their power from it. And knowing that, they make more chaos because they know they thrive and others are thrown off by it. (I've worked with a couple people that behave that way and it's no fun if chaos is not your thing.) 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd say the focus has to be a third goaltender right now because the rest is reasonably in focus. 

Schlossman in a recent article "speculated" that Johnson and Hedquist each need another year in juniors. (He also speculated on interest in Calder so he seems to "speculate" well.) 

The question is are they looking for a two or a three. I say that because all season Karl Goehring was saying that Harrison Feeney would be ready if disaster (goalie-geddon?) came and he was needed.

Might Feeney be the projected two in the staff's mind? If that were the case the staff would be more willing to bring in Johnson as the three I'd think. So that leaves me to wonder ... and wait. 

Should be fun. :) 

I trust Karl more than my wife.  If he thinks Feeney can be the #2, I'll get in his bandwagon and hopefully Driscoll doesn't get hurt walking up the steps at Delta Gamma. 

At the same time, if Driscoll does get hurt you're putting yourself out there for intense GOBC scrutiny if Feeney can't handle being the guy and you have to look elsewhere.  (See New Ralph opening year, Jake Brandt not ready, bring in Siembida).

I'd expect an announcement before summer about 25 year old Canadian transfer.   

• Upvote 3

Miami portal goalie Ben Kraws has chosen Arizona State. 

UND has two goalies right now: Driscoll and Feeney.
UND has two goalies in the pipeline: Johnson and Hedquist. 

The pipeline goalies are reportedly not ready and could use another year in juniors. 

UND needs a goalie. 

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Miami portal goalie Ben Kraws has chosen Arizona State. 

UND has two goalies right now: Driscoll and Feeney.
UND has two goalies in the pipeline: Johnson and Hedquist. 

The pipeline goalies are reportedly not ready and could use another year in juniors. 

UND needs a goalie. 

I only hope Wilbur does not feel slighted by your post, Sic.  He's always a beer away if we need him.