SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, siouxczech29 said:

So, is it Costantini or Bowen coming in? Or both? If both, I count 16 forwards. 

TDB <- Could be Constanini, Bowen, or they could go rogue like the Swedish goalie announcement and surprise all of us. 

Weatherby
Senden
Hain
Caulfield
Budy
Albrecht
Gaber
Jamernik
Ness
Ford
Calder
Portz
Schmaltz
Kunz
(TBD)

14 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Recruiting dropped off a bit

st cloud even has one in top round

The draft hasn't happened yet.  Wait to see what happens.  Ottawa might come in and take Johnson early!

• Upvote 1

On 5/26/2021 at 11:13 AM, The Sicatoka said:

TDB <- Could be Constanini, Bowen, or they could go rogue like the Swedish goalie announcement and surprise all of us. 

Weatherby
Senden
Hain
Caulfield
Budy
Albrecht
Gaber
Jamernik
Ness
Ford
Calder
Portz
Schmaltz
Kunz
(TBD)

Bowen isn't coming next season

7 hours ago, Sweethockey said:

They wouldn't take him without giving a little time with the NDSDT (North Dakota Senators Development Team)

Besides they have stated they like their college draft picks to play at least 2 years at their university 

8 hours ago, Sweethockey said:

They wouldn't take him without giving a little time with the NDSDT (North Dakota Senators Development Team)

I meant earlier in the draft than his current ranking, not early from UND should they end up drafting him.  Don’t even know draft position and comparisons to other teams recruits is a huge concern for some.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad we have 4 goalies.  Important for if Driscoll gets hurt.  At the same time if Kaleb has another year of juniors wouldn't it be best to get him get another full year in and if there are injury concerns get him on the next bus to Grand Forks?

I guess at the same time getting a full year of practice with a D1 team would help his development as well. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I'm glad we have 4 goalies.  Important for if Driscoll gets hurt.  At the same time if Kaleb has another year of juniors wouldn't it be best to get him get another full year in and if there are injury concerns get him on the next bus to Grand Forks?

I guess at the same time getting a full year of practice with a D1 team would help his development as well. 

Kind of confused here as well...there are a ton of good junior programs.  If I were Johnson's advisor (which I am not obviously) I would push him for a year in the USHL. The NA isn't terrible anymore but it's no where near the depth of the USHL. Also, it's not like goalies are going anywhere....there's such a logjam moving up that it's better to take your time a bit. Lastly, he's probably looking at 3rd string. Practice is great and I'm definitely a development type guy....but if you have the opportunity to get both development while also playing at a high level? No brainer to me.

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Kind of confused here as well...there are a ton of good junior programs.  If I were Johnson's advisor (which I am not obviously) I would push him for a year in the USHL. The NA isn't terrible anymore but it's no where near the depth of the USHL. Also, it's not like goalies are going anywhere....there's such a logjam moving up that it's better to take your time a bit. Lastly, he's probably looking at 3rd string. Practice is great and I'm definitely a development type guy....but if you have the opportunity to get both development while also playing at a high level? No brainer to me.

Other thought process here... he didn't have outstanding numbers. They weren't bad, but not outstanding. Maybe he wasn't getting great offers anywhere? When UND, his hometown team, gives him the opportunity to develop in a program he assuredly loves and knows he'll get the best possible grooming at, maybe he just couldn't pass it up?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Johnson wasn't getting a scholarship, and probably got tired of Juniors. He committed a while ago.

When I say offers, I meant opportunities to play elsewhere. My guess is pretty much what you're saying, that he was ready to be done with Junior.

Important:

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2021/6/11/mens-hockey-five-student-athletes-set-to-join-fighting-hawks-via-transfer-portal.aspx 

But hidden in there, and just as important ...

North Dakota is set to announce its incoming freshman class in the coming week.

Q: How do you keep a bunch of UND Hockey jamokes in suspense?
A: They'll tell us next week. :D 

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Important:

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2021/6/11/mens-hockey-five-student-athletes-set-to-join-fighting-hawks-via-transfer-portal.aspx 

But hidden in there, and just as important ...

Q: How do you keep a bunch of UND Hockey jamokes in suspense?
A: They'll tell us next week. :D 

Still nothing on captains either. They might be waiting to give the transfers a chance to gel and see if they get a nod.