SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

51 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Guessing that most likely means Morrow? Unless Berry wants to dip in the portal again and grab Chase Blackmun. 

Both Morrow and Johnson are right handed shots. It’ll be one of them.

Sanderson (L) - Kleven (L)

Jandric (L) - Frisch (R)

Moore (L) - *Morrow or Johnson* (R)

Bast (L) - Ferner (R)

That’s how I see it. One spot left and it’s either Morrow or Johnson, you could make an argument either way. Which ever one will be in the Top 6.

23 minutes ago, AJS said:

Sanderson (L) - Kleven (L)

Jandric (L) - Frisch (R)

Moore (L) - *Morrow or Johnson* (R)

Bast (L) - Ferner (R)

That’s how I see it. One spot left and it’s either Morrow or Johnson, you could make an argument either way. Which ever one will be in the Top 6.

Well, according to Wilbur it's going to be Morrow.

12. With Seniors / Early Departures, that is how many players the coaching staff had to replace. The Coaching staff has done a magnificent job navigating this. I've said it before, but the transfer portal (being so active), could not have come at a better time for UND. You cannot bring in 12 Freshman and have that lopsided of a class.

Ferner is absolutely the exception to the rule, but he makes sense as they needed someone to replace the Rieger roll. The other three fit this really rare formula that I wanted to see. Are they legitimate (1) Top 6 Forwards (2) Top 4 Dman (3) Starting Goalie on a Championship contender. Ford / Jandric / Driscoll fit that mold. In the entire portal so far there's maybe been 10F / 5D / 3G that fit that criteria.  

I also like the split between Seniors (Ford / Driscoll) and Juniors (Ferner / Jandric). 

What I'd like to see moving forward. Use the transfer portal to replace your early departures (2 F / 1 D / 1G). Again, Ferner (Rieger) being the exception. That would mean one more Forward from the portal. Also, I'm in the Schlossman camp that no Goalie recruits are ready, so I would prefer another Goalie from the portal as well.

The additions from the portal has brought this team back to neutral. I think they are really playing with house money right now. Be picky with that extra forward / goalie. If they can bring in another Top 6 forward, that could tip the scales for next year. Not necessarily as important as Driscoll, but having a safety net that's proven at goalie is also very important.