SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Schlossman seems pretty confident that Portz and Schmaltz are coming this fall. I’d like Kunz also. 

Why?

The Sleeper Line — it ends with z’s 

I think portz and schmaltz have to come in...didn't they age out of juniors?

Yeah, seems like a Frisch-Sanderson top pairing.  But do you put Kleven with a Frosh d man on the right side on a top 4 pairing in the NCHC?

I don't know enough about Morrow to know if he can handle T4 minutes.  Be interesting to see where he gets drafted.  

35 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yeah, seems like a Frisch-Sanderson top pairing.  But do you put Kleven with a Frosh d man on the right side on a top 4 pairing in the NCHC?

I don't know enough about Morrow to know if he can handle T4 minutes.  Be interesting to see where he gets drafted.  

If you look at his Elite Prospects page, he is ranked between 16 and 49. I have heard that he may be a first round draft pick.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

If you look at his Elite Prospects page, he is ranked between 16 and 49. I have heard that he may be a first round draft pick.

Is his draft position where some of the trepidation comes from about him showing up here?  Is there concern if he is drafted first round he may choose a different route?

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

What is Cruikshank waiting for? You can go to basically any program you want. Why wouldn’t you want to go to the best? Get to GF and get your UND jersey on dude! Bring home #9!!!

Who knows what Cruikshank could be looking at. He could be waiting to talk to Frozen Four teams. He could be talking to pros.

I know what I'd like for him, but, if it doesn't make sense to him it makes sense for no one. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

What is Cruikshank waiting for? You can go to basically any program you want. Why wouldn’t you want to go to the best? Get to GF and get your UND jersey on dude! Bring home #9!!!

Admissions....

Getting into the right acedemic program or situation....

Waiting to see where the hockey landscape shakes out after trade deadline day....

Lots of factors may make someone who has no real need for urgency to not pull a trigger

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Admissions....

Getting into the right acedemic program or situation....

Waiting to see where the hockey landscape shakes out after trade deadline day....

Lots of factors may make someone who has no real need for urgency to not pull a trigger

I was being facetious, just want to know what this team is going to look like heading into the fall. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm already anxious for some college hockey.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Do we even know if UND is recruiting him? I know it’s assumed, but does anyone actually know? 

Maybe it’s a dumb question but you never know. 

25 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Do we even know if UND is recruiting him? I know it’s assumed, but does anyone actually know? 

Maybe it’s a dumb question but you never know. 

It's not dumb at all; it's completely legitimate. We don't know what we don't know. 

Forwards:

• Portz
  • Schmaltz
  • Ford (BGSU portal) 
  • _______ 
  • _______
  • _______ <- slot added because Blaisdell is in the portal 

Defense:

• Bast, L
  • Ferner (RPI portal)
  • Jandric (UAF portal)
  • _______ <- Johnson or Morrow? 

Goaltender:

• Driscoll (BSU portal)  
  • _______ 

I stare at the list (I just brought forward) and my concern is suddenly ... goaltender. 

There are legitimate freshman recruits that could fill every open F and D slot. And yes, you keep your eyes and ears on the portal for the time being in case something too good to look past shows up. That said, ...

Schlossman was willing to print that (goalie recruits) Johnson and Hedquist aren't ready to come in. 

A goalie behind Driscoll has to be the priority.
An underclassman (meaning more than one year of eligibility left) would be perfect if he's out there. 

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I stare at the list (I just brought forward) and my concern is suddenly ... goaltender. 

There are legitimate freshman recruits that could fill every open F and D slot. And yes, you keep your eyes and ears on the portal for the time being in case something too good to look past shows up. That said, ...

Schlossman was willing to print that (goalie recruits) Johnson and Hedquist aren't ready to come in. 

A goalie behind Driscoll has to be the priority.
An underclassman (meaning more than one year of eligibility left) would be perfect if he's out there. 

The top 3 USHL goalies statistically are all uncommitted. All 3 turn 21 this summer.

6 of the top 9 are uncommitted overall.

2 minutes ago, petey23 said:

The top 3 USHL goalies statistically are all uncommitted.

Which begs the question --- Why? 

Additional thought:
Portal folks have been through the NCAA clearinghouse. What paperwork is left for USHL goalies? 

8 minutes ago, petey23 said:

The top 3 USHL goalies statistically are all uncommitted. All 3 turn 21 this summer.

6 of the top 9 are uncommitted overall.

And if I remember correctly they all played in the WHL

1. Akira Schmidt played 1 WHL game, not sure about a couple teams in Europe 

2. Todd Scott played for 2 WHL teams over 3 seasons

3. Boynton is committed to Minnesota

4. Dobes is committed to Ohio State

5. Alex Tracy uncommitted

6. Derek Mullahy was suppose to be at Harvard this year

7. Keopple is committed to Cornell

8. Davis is committed to Denver

9. Lukas Parik played in the WHL

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Which begs the question --- Why? 

Additional thought:
Portal folks have been through the NCAA clearinghouse. What paperwork is left for USHL goalies? 

22 minutes ago, cberkas said:

And if I remember correctly they all played in the WHL

1. Akira Schmidt played 1 WHL game, not sure about a couple teams in Europe 

2. Todd Scott played for 2 WHL teams over 3 seasons

3. Boynton is committed to Minnesota

4. Dobes is committed to Ohio State

5. Alex Tracy uncommitted

6. Derek Mullahy was suppose to be at Harvard this year

7. Keopple is committed to Cornell

8. Davis is committed to Denver

9. Lukas Parik played in the WHL

Asked and Answered.

Boynton and Mullahy are listed as uncommitted on the USHL website.