SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC postseason.....UND vs. SCSU....The Ship

Wilbur

41 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Distant third?  Will agree to disagree on that one.  NCHC first team defenseman.  Almost a unanimous pick.    

I will agree that he doesn't have the talent of a JBD or a Sanderson.  JBD rightfully the NCHC defensive defenseman of the year, but Kiersted finished second I believe.    

I'm going to have to agree with you here. Kierstad has been a monster all year playing in every situation and stepped up even more when JBD went down against Denver and last night. I think we can all agree that we are lucky to have all three of these talented defenseman on our squad! 

43 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Distant third?  Will agree to disagree on that one.  NCHC first team defenseman.  Almost a unanimous pick.    

I will agree that he doesn't have the talent of a JBD or a Sanderson.  JBD rightfully the NCHC defensive defenseman of the year, but Kiersted finished second I believe.    

Look who is all conference this year and every year--it goes strictly by points and always has. Ronnie Attard 1st team over JBD and Sanderson? Seriously? Maybe offensively, but not even close to as good. The fact that someone is first team NCHC is not exactly a convincing argument. Look at who is on the ice on every penalty kill (JBD) and who is on the ice at the end of the game (JBD) and at critical times when the faceoff is in the defensive zone (JBD). Plus/minus is a better measure of a defensemen's ability than points, and even that doesn't tell the entire story. You should ask any former player who follows UND hockey and ask them who is better: JBD or Kiersted. I would be surprised if any did not say JBD is better. I'm not talking just upside (JBD will be a top 4 defensemen in the NHL for years), but who is better now. No disrespect to Kiersted, who has been a very good player for UND, but I don't think it is even close. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

...and as Tim Hennessey says quite often, "the other team is trying too".    Sometimes I think our fans are way too simplistic, thinking if a team keeps pressure on us for any extended period of time it's because we weren't trying, or our effort was lacking.  If we play well for 2 periods, we only played 40 minutes, not 60.   So does that mean the other team only played 20 minutes of hockey?

We have a significant part of our fan base that has evolved into thinking what a large part of the Gopher fan base believes.

---other teams only exist so that we have someone to play.

---UND wins when they play well and even sometimes when we don't play well. UND loses games but never actually gets beat.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Look who is all conference this year and every year--it goes strictly by points and always has. Ronnie Attard 1st team over JBD and Sanderson? Seriously? Maybe offensively, but not even close to as good. The fact that someone is first team NCHC is not exactly a convincing argument. Look at who is on the ice on every penalty kill (JBD) and who is on the ice at the end of the game (JBD) and at critical times when the faceoff is in the defensive zone (JBD). Plus/minus is a better measure of a defensemen's ability than points, and even that doesn't tell the entire story. You should ask any former player who follows UND hockey and ask them who is better: JBD or Kiersted. I would be surprised if any did not say JBD is better. I'm not talking just upside (JBD will be a top 4 defensemen in the NHL for years), but who is better now. No disrespect to Kiersted, who has been a very good player for UND, but I don't think it is even close. 

What a great argument to have...Who's better among JBD, Kierstad, and Sanderson?  And UND has all 3 of them!!

11 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Second of all no way there were only 3000 fans there. Had to be closer to 5000. And we were loud 

Was wondering what the actual attendance ended up being.

I watched tickets all day.  The double attack upper corners sold out and there was about 30 total tickets left in the last 2 rows on the other side.  I decided not to go, then checked back to see if it had sold out.  The double attack corners had lots of tickets available again and then a whole bunch of section 302 opened up so I grabbed one of those tickets.  They were definitely adding seats throughout the day.

10 minutes ago, franchise said:

Was wondering what the actual attendance ended up being.

I watched tickets all day.  The double attack upper corners sold out and there was about 30 total tickets left in the last 2 rows on the other side.  I decided not to go, then checked back to see if it had sold out.  The double attack corners had lots of tickets available again and then a whole bunch of section 302 opened up so I grabbed one of those tickets.  They were definitely adding seats throughout the day.

Fun atmosphere.

Kudos to Jody for opening up more tickets. Unfortunately some bed wetters have probably already emailed him about the 3000 cap.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

What about Kleven?

The PP was much better.  At times in December, it looked as good as I've seen at UND.  Then, after the holidays, it was botched zone entries, bobbles leading to clears, and general ineffectiveness.  In the postseason, it has been much crisper again.  Lots of possession and chances. 

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

Agree with many of your points, but you've got to remember who has been the other d man playing with JBD in those situations.  I just can't call him a distant third.  Talent wise absolutely.  I think you'd agree the kids with the most talent aren't always your best players

I took your challenge!  A kid I coached in high school hockey is married to the daughter of a former player/coach of UND.  When he gets back to me and says JBD hands down I'll let everyone know! :lol: 

1 hour ago, Langster019 said:

Couldn’t help but notice seeing Senden’s arm in some sort of brace under his shirt when he was on the ice for the celebration. Hope he can get back for next week but a brace can’t be too great of an outlook. 

from how he was favoring it during the celly, i dont for see him back in a sweater this year

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Langster019 said:

Couldn’t help but notice seeing Senden’s arm in some sort of brace under his shirt when he was on the ice for the celebration. Hope he can get back for next week but a brace can’t be too great of an outlook. 

I thought hennesy said Senden already had surgery on his arm.  Seems kind of quick being he only hurt it the night before but what do I know.   Anyone else hear that or did I dream it?

Something to keep in mind here is that since January 23, we played one series against a Denver team that was still trying to find itself, and then the rest againt Omaha and CC.  And one against Miami.  Then we run around and play against a desperate Denver team and a good St. Cloud team.  We needed these two games to be hard to prepare for the NCAA.  If not we would lose in the first round for sure.

11 minutes ago, Nodaker said:

I thought hennesy said Senden already had surgery on his arm.  Seems kind of quick being he only hurt it the night before but what do I know.   Anyone else hear that or did I dream it?

I didn’t hear it, but I saw this mentioned on Twitter. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nodakgirl93 said:

All athletes get an extra year of eligibility. If he wants to come back, have a chance to play with his brother, he may. Of course it's up to Berry and company. 

That brings up an interesting question, out of the senior class who would come back? #1,2,3,16,18,20,21, or 29? Honestly, I don't think any of them would except for #2 for the reason you mentioned. I think if they go deep into the tournament there will be offers for most of the senior class who are not drafted.

29 minutes ago, Nodaker said:

I heard it in TH's pregame, he said Senden got surgery yesterday. He qualified it saying it was "not major surgery".  Seemed quick to me too but what do I know

49 minutes ago, nd jg said:

Something to keep in mind here is that since January 23, we played one series against a Denver team that was still trying to find itself, and then the rest againt Omaha and CC.  And one against Miami.  Then we run around and play against a desperate Denver team and a good St. Cloud team.  We needed these two games to be hard to prepare for the NCAA.  If not we would lose in the first round for sure.

This has been my concern for a while now.  I couldn't agree more.  

2 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Last night Gaber reminded me of another excellent player who also wore #17: Jeff Panzer. 

Quick hands, reads plays, and accurate hard wrist shots.   Good job young man. 

He kind of reminds me of Drake Caggiula. 

Riese Gaber .jpg

Net front traffic .jpg

• Upvote 1