SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC postseason.....UND vs. SCSU....The Ship

Wilbur

25 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That scares me that they have fallen into the trap of believing they can do that all the time.

I have no problem with "turning it on" ... but how about against Miami style and bury the opponent five minutes in. Doing that makes everything better -- roll lines, rest the top six. 

I don’t think that is the case. I think they are reactive to the team they are playing. If they get an inch, they take a mile. Otherwise they need to ‘find it deep within’ to get rolling. That speaks to leadership. Not everyone rolls over like Miami. Even CC makes it a game because they will themselves to fight. And teams react differently so it’s not team ‘A’ or ‘B’, it’s who showed up that night.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 1972 said:

2 has to be better than he was last night...that was just painful to watch how bad his night was

That was one of the worst games I've seen him play.  Fought it defensively all night.  In the NCAA tournament he wouldn't have played another shift after the first period.  The coaches stuck with him as long as they could, but after the 10 minute mark of the third, they just couldn't play him any more and rolled four.  

If JBD can't go in Fargo they've got some decisions to make.  Obviously all the d will dress, but how they use them......

My pairings

3-25

15-26

Then spot Moore and Bast in there where you can.  Bast was put with Kiersted a lot when he was fighting it and still couldn't correct himself playing with the best d man on the team.

41 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That scares me that they have fallen into the trap of believing they can do that all the time.

I have no problem with "turning it on" ... but how about against Miami style and bury the opponent five minutes in. Doing that makes everything better -- roll lines, rest the top six. 

What scares me is seeing how good this team can turn it on in a single period when they want to. Crazy to think what they are capable of when the season will be on the line. They’ll be ready.

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That was one of the worst games I've seen him play.  Fought it defensively all night.  In the NCAA tournament he wouldn't have played another shift after the first period.  The coaches stuck with him as long as they could, but after the 10 minute mark of the third, they just couldn't play him any more and rolled four.  

If JBD can't go in Fargo they've got some decisions to make.  Obviously all the d will dress, but how they use them......

My pairings

3-25

15-26

Then spot Moore and Bast in there where you can.  Bast was put with Kiersted a lot when he was fighting it and still couldn't correct himself playing with the best d man on the team.

Kiersted the best d man on the team? Try 3rd best. Sanderson and JBD and 1 and 2 and I don't even think it is close. Kiersted is a good player, but gets a lot of credit for points, many of which are assists on the PP. Defensively, he is a distant 3rd behind Sanderson and JBD. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Kiersted the best d man on the team? Try 3rd best. Sanderson and JBD and 1 and 2 and I don't even think it is close. Kiersted is a good player, but gets a lot of credit for points, many of which are assists on the PP. Defensively, he is a distant 3rd behind Sanderson and JBD. 

Distant third?  Will agree to disagree on that one.  NCHC first team defenseman.  Almost a unanimous pick.    

I will agree that he doesn't have the talent of a JBD or a Sanderson.  JBD rightfully the NCHC defensive defenseman of the year, but Kiersted finished second I believe.    

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I disagree. We miss JBD on the ice but I think Kiersted has been better this season. Sanderson is obviously elite.

10 hours ago, Kab said:

How do they play so lackadaisical and the flip a switch and good things happen 

Lots of factors... consider who was out, who we're playing, match ups... not to mention, we're a dang good team and have the ability to score in bunches. It happens. 

I loved the last two games. Fought through adversity, came from behind, and won huge games against good teams.

• Upvote 1

A couple observations..... When we played Miami, the disparity between the 2 teams skill level was quite large. We rolled Miami because of it. Denver and St. Cloud played their game well and had more skill than Miami. At times we looked like we were stuck in the mud. It had more to do with a more even match up than that we weren't trying to control the game. Thank God #2 is a senior and will not be back next year. I like our team's leadership a lot. They know what to expect out of each other. They are a band of brothers.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I agree, but at the same time I'm really glad they are turning that "allowing the first goal" stat on its head. It will be important for them to not have that in their mind going into the NCAAs. Maybe the deciding factor in this one is that SCSU was never able to extend their lead, whereas UND immediately made theirs a 2-goal lead. Extending leads was a problem in 2018 and 2019, not so much this year!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxTupa said:

I agree, but at the same time I'm really glad they are turning that "allowing the first goal" stat on its head. It will be important for them to not have that in their mind going into the NCAAs. Maybe the deciding factor in this one is that SCSU was never able to extend their lead, whereas UND immediately made theirs a 2-goal lead. Extending leads was a problem in 2018 and 2019, not so much this year!

That, and giving up a tying goal within about 2 minutes of taking the lead.