SiouxSports.com Forum

UND versus NDSU - 1st DIV I Conference Game 2020 Rona moved to 2021 @ Manure Pit - RIVALRY?

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

Obviously a huge opportunity for UND against the ag school. The effect of NDSU’s dominance on the perception of UND football in the region cannot be overstated.

In order for UND to win, UND has to play a disciplined game, commit minimal to no penalties, and be without turnovers. If UND plays a clean game like that, they definitely have a chance to win and significantly change the perception of UND vs NDSU football in the region. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Obviously a huge opportunity for UND against the ag school. The effect of NDSU’s dominance on the perception of UND football in the region cannot be overstated.

In order for UND to win, UND has to play a disciplined game, commit minimal to no penalties, and be without turnovers. If UND plays a clean game like that, they definitely have a chance to win and significantly change the perception of UND vs NDSU football in the region. 

I agree.  The only thing I would add ID we need to win the specialty team battle.  I think both are quite equal.  We have the best offense.  Defense would be a push.  No turnovers .

The fact that we are talking about UND with a chance to win this game in Fargo after NDSU hadn't lost in however many games is something in itself.  

They are still the champs.  Gotta play clean, and play with a chip on their shoulder.

Has there ever been a time in this series when both teams started Freshman QBs??

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The fact that we are talking about UND with a chance to win this game in Fargo after NDSU hadn't lost in however many games is something in itself.  

They are still the champs.  Gotta play clean, and play with a chip on their shoulder.

Has there ever been a time in this series when both teams started Freshman QBs??

Nope. That's in the past. This game isn't against the 8 time champ it's against this current ndsu team. No need to add the weight of previous years to this game.  Just another tough opponent on the schedule. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Not sure if we both had freshman QB's.  If memory is correct we had a freshman QB in our first win in the Dome.  Klancher was the QB I believe.

Absolutely the biggest game of the D1 era for UND. A win would.

1. Boost the perception change regionally and nationally (FCS level) of UND Football. 
  2. In this shortened Spring Season it would truly put UND in the drivers seat for the Conference Championship along with a potential playoff seed
  3. Put NDSU on the ropes for the Spring playoffs. 

My biggest area of concern this week is Special Teams. Specifically Punting / Punt Returning. Through four games that's the one area that is pretty clear that UND's opponent always has the advantage. Play even on turnovers and they should have a shot.

Couple of questions:

How vulnerable are the Bison?  I haven't watched them (nor have I ever watched them), but I know they've had some offensive struggles.  I've heard some compare their defense to ours, which means points will probably be hard to come by.  First to 21 wins?

In UND's two games where we've won handily (SUI and WIU), our defense gave up a touchdown late in the game.  Does anyone know - were we playing our reserves at those times?

I'll even take what @AJS said about turnovers one step further - if we win the turnover battle, we will win.  I think the squads are pretty even, but UND's offense is better.  Keep the ball in our hands on offense and we're in good shape.

Ag school has tons of talent. Their defensive line is deep and they have talented linebackers and defensive backs. Their special teams is top notch. Offense has been slow out of the gate thus far but their freshman QB is mobile and they still have dynamic play makers, including a couple real good tailbacks and #1 Watson is fast playmaker on the outside.

UND needs to handle the moment and play a good, clean, physical game to get this win.

20 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

DO NOT MISS THIS ONE!

Many MooU fans don't think there is a rivalry, maybe even a few Hawk fans? They will all get a fast lesson in TRADITION on Saturday.

This game should be a great game for all. A lot of talent on both teams with a match up of top 2 in the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

images.jpg

I would say that a lot of NDSU fans are probably correct, this game is no longer a rivalry game at the moment. UND/NDSU have not played each other on a regular basis since 2003. Give it a couple years and it will return.

23 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Couple of questions:

How vulnerable are the Bison?  I haven't watched them (nor have I ever watched them), but I know they've had some offensive struggles.  I've heard some compare their defense to ours, which means points will probably be hard to come by.  First to 21 wins?

In UND's two games where we've won handily (SUI and WIU), our defense gave up a touchdown late in the game.  Does anyone know - were we playing our reserves at those times?

I'll even take what @AJS said about turnovers one step further - if we win the turnover battle, we will win.  I think the squads are pretty even, but UND's offense is better.  Keep the ball in our hands on offense and we're in good shape.

I would say speaking very generally.

• Offense: Advantage UND
  • Defense: Advantage NDSU
  • ST: Advantage NDSU

I was in Fargo last year when these two teams were "Not Rivals" and in different conferences and had a young gal who I didn't know get in my face and inform me "Sioux suck sh*t", so come on now Bizon nation. You never quit thinking this was a rivalry. As only as both these schools are an hour drive apart and are the only two D1 schools in the state, this is the biggest rivalry this state has. (Although, I've heard UJ and VCSU don't like each other very much.)

• Upvote 3

You can't worry about the other guy's stuff when you have your own to worry about. 

UND has much to work on after a weekend in Macomb:

- turnovers (offense and ST) 
- defensive penalties

Control what's yours to control. 

I will add that we have to play much better than what I saw at Western. The game was never really in doubt but it should not have been as close as it was at times. I do think the game plan was vanilla but that is not an excuse. Too many mistakes all around that have to get cleaned up. It will be loud in there on Saturday and this team better be laser focused.

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

I would say that a lot of NDSU fans are probably correct, this game is no longer a rivalry game at the moment. UND/NDSU have not played each other on a regular basis since 2003. Give it a couple years and it will return.

Except there is bragging rights no matter if it is a heated rivalry game or not. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Ag school has tons of talent. Their defensive line is deep and they have talented linebackers and defensive backs. Their special teams is top notch. Offense has been slow out of the gate thus far but their freshman QB is mobile and they still have dynamic play makers, including a couple real good tailbacks and #1 Watson is fast playmaker on the outside.

UND needs to handle the moment and play a good, clean, physical game to get this win.

They would like nothing better than to blow us out of the dome (again) to keep us in our little brother spot.  You said it best, they still have a number of great athletes on their team.  Handling the momentum swings and keeping their composure when those guys make plays is key.  

I think Tommy will be under a bit more duress this football game.  Lets see how he keeps his cool as well.  

16 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I will add that we have to play much better than what I saw at Western. The game was never really in doubt but it should not have been as close as it was at times. I do think the game plan was vanilla but that is not an excuse. Too many mistakes all around that have to get cleaned up. It will be loud in there on Saturday and this team better be laser focused.

I am fine with downplaying us, however SU has certainly not looked great in any of their victories and they have played the bottom of the conference while we have plated the top tier teams. Still I will have a pit in my stomach until we prove it on the field. I believe it was Coach Roebuck who was quoted as saying "You haven't really beaten the bison until you beat them on their home court/field." 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

I'm a teacher at a small ND town, and the seniors I teach would have been born in 2003/04, the last time NDSU and UND were conference opponents. Listening to them talk trash back and forth, you'd think the teams never stopped playing each other. There absolutely still is a rivalry here. A person can downplay it as much as they want, but even when the teams didn't play between 2003-2015, there was jawing back and forth between students. 

Exactly. I've travel the entire state regularly and I talk and occasionally interact with younger kids that know dang well the history between the schools. But its time for UND to just do their part and keep progressing and it will shut up the arrogant turds. Make it go back to the golden days when the sh** pit was empty. Then see what they do when they start losing even more sponsors and can't charge the stupid prices people pay for tix. 

• Upvote 3

• UNDBIZ changed the title to UND versus NDSU - 1st DIV I Conference Game 2020 Rona moved to 2021 @ Manure Pit - RIVALRY?