SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Sioux hockey memories

GeauxSioux

I moved to Madison in Feb of 1982, a lone sioux fan in a sea of red when both teams absolutely despised each-other.  I actually had my car keyed, presumably because of the ND plate.  A month later we defeated UW for the national title.  Best hockey memory of my life.  Suck it Sconnie.       

It simply isn't possible to pick out the best game.  I've seen live chickens, dead gophers, and dead badgers in the arena.  I witnessed the all-out pregame fight with Wisconsin.  I was at the game with Michigan when the Sioux were down 8-5 when timeout was called with six minutes left in the game, and a comeback for a 9-8 win about a minute into overtime.  I've heard the old Ralph so loud my college buddy beside me couldn't hear me yell into his ear.  I was at the miracle comeback win against MN.  My only bummer is that I have been to six national championship tournaments, none of which UND won.  Our kids have banned me for life from the national championship games.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

February 13 2010. At SCSU Mario tells Corbin Knight he wants to take the face off, dropped the gloves against Marvin . Sioux score 6 goals in the 2nd and roll to a 8-1 win. MacWilliams , Zajac and Mario all get tossed out. 

• Upvote 2

Good thread idea.

I'll start with the first home games of the Gino Gasparini era - a home sweep.

The previous season 77-78, the last under Rube Bjorkman, UND season ended at the hands of then-perennial power Michigan Tech.  Tech was physical, fast and every game was a battle.  They were feared under Macinnis, for good reason.  Appeared in 3 straight NCAA Championships 74-75-76.

UND meanwhile hadn't made the NCAA Tournament for 10 full seasons - last one prior was 1968.  And yes indeed Basketball was the winningest sport on campus and regularly outdrew hockey.

The 78-79 season opened under new coach Gino Gasparini.   Somewhat controversial pick as a lot of people were hoping to get Len Harkness of Cornell and multiple titles.  I was too young to be able to tell, but had met AD Carl Miller and liked him so when he picked Gasparini, I was set.   It was also common knowledge that Gino did a lot of recruiting across Canada and there was excitement about the freshman class.  And several of the returning guys had bulked up over the summer; Doug Smail and Marc Chorney most notably among them.

That first game, we beat Tech 5-3.  Kevin Maxwell had multiple goals and Cary Eades did likewise.  And we matched them hit for hit with some bruising guys on the back line like rookie Howard Walker and veterans Chorney, Brad Cox and Rob Mihulka.   ("Mihulka lines him up and bowls him over."  ... heard often that season.)

Walking back from the Winter Sports Building, we were collectively surprised and excited by how well that went.  And after completing the sweep the next night, convincingly 4-1, we started to believe this might be the year.

It snowballed quickly from there.   But that first night - everything is changing - made a big impression.

The NC in Tampa. It was especially sweet after the let downs in Denver, St. Paul, Philly and Boston - all of which I attended. When the score was 4-1 I turned to Mrs. sfis and said "so this is what it feels like to win a national championship". And absolute joy at Fergs after the game. And the boys bringing the trophy over to celebrate with the fans. I had hoped for a repeat  in Detroit this year. Sigh....

• Like 1

I’ll go with some notable names growing up. Too many classic games to pick a few.  I was born in the 80s...

Greg Johnson - Influenced me so much. Wore #9 in my youth. Sad he’s gone. A legend! 

Landon Wilson - My first experience with a gritty power forward during that time. Loved how’d he play. Knew he was special. My youngest brother was supposed to be called Landon, my mom said I could pick the name. She didn’t keep that promise. Damn it, mom! 

#7 Brandon Bochenski and Travis Roche. Unreal players, if they played in today’s NHL, they would have had more impactful NHL careers. I’ll never forget hearing the stories how BB could zip a puck or ball in roller hockey during his time at UND  After youth hockey, come Bantams, changed my number to #7 because of these two and never looked back! 

Jeff and Jay Panzer. Both good players. More so Jeff, so much fun watching him at UND. And he seems like a good dude. 

Drew Stanford and Travis Zajac. I was blown away how good Drew was for a young freshman. Travis Z. He came off as the best two-way forward I’ve ever seen at UND. I knew he was NHL material and would only play a few years. 

Newer/current pick. Tyson Jost.  Haven’t seen a UND forward with better edge work than him in my life. 

Since its a long offseason, I'll add another favorite story ...

Its November 3-4, 1978.  The Farce takes a road trip to Duluth.   As history would have it,  UND vs UMD would be at the hockey side of the DECC on the same night as President Jimmy Carter was speaking on the auditorium side of the DECC.

After making the drive to Duluth, then getting liquified nearby, we started walking over to the arena.   Singing, as was often the case.  As we approached the arena, singing the song the guards from the Wizards of Oz "Oh-Ee-oh, Ee-oh-ah!"     

TV cameras ahead lighted the way, and we soon saw they were filming a protest.   The protesters had their own chant:  "The Shah is a murderer. Down with the Shah."  referring to the Shah of Iran (this preceding by only a few months the Islamic revolution).   As we approached, red lights on helmets flashing, they stopped.   We stopped.  The TV cameras swung around to us.

Then, "We've got spirit, yes we do! We've got spirit, how about you!"  (Pointing to the protesters.)   They returned our chant:  "The Shah is a murderer.  Down with the Shah." After a couple cycles, we parted peaceably.   

(And somewhere in a Duluth TV studio, there's some strange footage; perhaps someone got fired or perhaps they played it at parties.)

Inside, we were among the first fans to arrive and strolled the concourse chanting "Let's Go Sioux", much to the Sioux players approval.   And for about 55 minutes of game time that night, UND owned the building. Then Duluth scored twice in the last minute, and won it in overtime. Curt Giles logged about 40 minutes that night, and Mark Pavelich did some wizardry with the puck.  Painful.  Very painful.   

Fortunately, we were able to soothe our pain at a couple pubs in Superior, and a toga party up at St Scholastica.  This being a family friendly forum, I'll stop now and leave that to your imagination.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Since its a long offseason, I'll add another favorite story ...

Its November 3-4, 1978.  The Farce takes a road trip to Duluth.   As history would have it,  UND vs UMD would be at the hockey side of the DECC on the same night as President Jimmy Carter was speaking on the auditorium side of the DECC.

After making the drive to Duluth, then getting liquified nearby, we started walking over to the arena.   Singing, as was often the case.  As we approached the arena, singing the song the guards from the Wizards of Oz "Oh-Ee-oh, Ee-oh-ah!"     

TV cameras ahead lighted the way, and we soon saw they were filming a protest.   The protesters had their own chant:  "The Shah is a murderer. Down with the Shah."  referring to the Shah of Iran (this preceding by only a few months the Islamic revolution).   As we approached, red lights on helmets flashing, they stopped.   We stopped.  The TV cameras swung around to us.

Then, "We've got spirit, yes we do! We've got spirit, how about you!"  (Pointing to the protesters.)   They returned our chant:  "The Shah is a murderer.  Down with the Shah." After a couple cycles, we parted peaceably.   

(And somewhere in a Duluth TV studio, there's some strange footage; perhaps someone got fired or perhaps they played it at parties.)

Inside, we were among the first fans to arrive and strolled the concourse chanting "Let's Go Sioux", much to the Sioux players approval.   And for about 55 minutes of game time that night, UND owned the building. Then Duluth scored twice in the last minute, and won it in overtime. Curt Giles logged about 40 minutes that night, and Mark Pavelich did some wizardry with the puck.  Painful.  Very painful.   

Fortunately, we were able to soothe our pain at a couple pubs in Superior, and a toga party up at St Scholastica.  This being a family friendly forum, I'll stop now and leave that to your imagination.

Thanks Farce.  This is all that pops into my head after reading your post...:D

th?id=OIP.mLdv7-7NyQ-JcOTMK7A7uAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=220&h=170

"And most recently of all, a "Roman Toga Party" was held from which we have received more than two dozen reports of individual acts of perversion SO profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing them here."  - Doug Neidermeyer

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, squirtcoach said:

One of my favorite memories is watching Brett Hextall draw three penalties between puck drops. At least that is what I am remembering.

Guy must have had a way with words.  
Anyone else recall this or recall who we were playing?

i belive you are reffering to the Denver series.

On 3/15/2020 at 12:02 AM, farce poobah said:

Good thread idea.

I'll start with the first home games of the Gino Gasparini era - a home sweep.

The previous season 77-78, the last under Rube Bjorkman, UND season ended at the hands of then-perennial power Michigan Tech.  Tech was physical, fast and every game was a battle.  They were feared under Macinnis, for good reason.  Appeared in 3 straight NCAA Championships 74-75-76.

UND meanwhile hadn't made the NCAA Tournament for 10 full seasons - last one prior was 1968.  And yes indeed Basketball was the winningest sport on campus and regularly outdrew hockey.

The 78-79 season opened under new coach Gino Gasparini.   Somewhat controversial pick as a lot of people were hoping to get Len Harkness of Cornell and multiple titles.  I was too young to be able to tell, but had met AD Carl Miller and liked him so when he picked Gasparini, I was set.   It was also common knowledge that Gino did a lot of recruiting across Canada and there was excitement about the freshman class.  And several of the returning guys had bulked up over the summer; Doug Smail and Marc Chorney most notably among them.

That first game, we beat Tech 5-3.  Kevin Maxwell had multiple goals and Cary Eades did likewise.  And we matched them hit for hit with some bruising guys on the back line like rookie Howard Walker and veterans Chorney, Brad Cox and Rob Mihulka.   ("Mihulka lines him up and bowls him over."  ... heard often that season.)

Walking back from the Winter Sports Building, we were collectively surprised and excited by how well that went.  And after completing the sweep the next night, convincingly 4-1, we started to believe this might be the year.

It snowballed quickly from there.   But that first night - everything is changing - made a big impression.

Great story.  Thank you for sharing it.  10 years...yikes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxBoys said:

Nothing compares to the 2012 final five against Minnesota. Nothing. And if you think something does compare, then you weren't there.

Was that the semi-final 3-0 Gophers when it looked like all hope was lost?