SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Sioux hockey memories

GeauxSioux

12 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Was that the semi-final 3-0 Gophers when it looked like all Hope was lost?

The Dave Hakstol 'timeout' game?  That was nice but I'll take the 2000 Championship over BC as more exciting...best part of that game was that I was in Providence to see them do it.

2007-2008 season, North Dakota was down 4-1 to George Gwozdecky’s Denver University only for UND to rally with Andrew Kozek scoring the game tying goal and the gaming winning goal ultimately getting a hat trick. It was an awesome game.

Andrew Kozek GWG:

Another fond UND memory from that year is another Andrew Kozek GWG, this time in OT against Wisconsin in the Midwest Regional that was hosted in Madison. This was the year Wisconsin made the tournament with a losing record. Of course, the rule was changed after.

• Upvote 3

Besides 2016 FF, 2012 Semifinal, the 2008 region final comeback against Wisconsin was a very fond memory that me and my dad still talk about to this day. That atmosphere and getting trashed talked and hearing it, that win was very sweet. I've watched the replay of that game so many times, have the play by play memorized of Kozek's goal. Still gives me goosebumps watching the video. 

2 hours ago, NoDaks said:

Besides 2016 FF, 2012 Semifinal, the 2008 region final comeback against Wisconsin was a very fond memory that me and my dad still talk about to this day. That atmosphere and getting trashed talked and hearing it, that win was very sweet. I've watched the replay of that game so many times, have the play by play memorized of Kozek's goal. Still gives me goosebumps watching the video. 

I was there as well.  Also getting trash talked by many UW fans when we were down 2-0 in the 3rd.
Can still hear that Duncan pipe shot goal that tied it after the beauty of a pass from Oshie...that pipe rang loud and then in.

High fived and hugged so many random UND fans while walking the concourse after that game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NoDaks said:

Replay isn't on YouTube, is it?

This doesn't qualify as best but it's certainly one I'll never forget.  Was in Grand Forks for a weekend in winter of 1982?-ish.  Stayed at my Uncle's place and he surprised me with tickets to that night's game.  UND vs Bucky, this was going to be my first game ever at the Ralph.  Was so pumped up for it; the band and atmosphere was electric.  Game started a little rough for the Sioux as Sconny scored early but I kept telling myself that UND would come back and win.  Well that didn't happen...finally when the score got to be around 8-0 my Uncle said let's get the hell out of here.  The final was 9-0 and UW won the next night as well.   I believe that weekend was referred to as the "Grand Forks Massacre" in Sunday's Herald.  Quite a start to my career as a Sioux fan.:D

10 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

This doesn't qualify as best but it's certainly one I'll never forget.  Was in Grand Forks for a weekend in winter of 1982?-ish.  Stayed at my Uncle's place and he surprised me with tickets to that night's game.  UND vs Bucky, this was going to be my first game ever at the Ralph.  Was so pumped up for it; the band and atmosphere was electric.  Game started a little rough for the Sioux as Sconny scored early but I kept telling myself that UND would come back and win.  Well that didn't happen...finally when the score got to be around 8-0 my Uncle said let's get the hell out of here.  The final was 9-0 and UW won the next night as well.   I believe that weekend was referred to as the "Grand Forks Massacre" in Sunday's Herald.  Quite a start to my career as a Sioux fan.:D

Sheesh, @Blackheart , thanks for THAT trip down memory lane!  Was the debacle against BC in St Louis a close second for ya?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

37 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Sheesh, @Blackheart , thanks for THAT trip down memory lane!  Was the debacle against BC in St Louis a close second for ya?

That series (March 13-14, 1982) was preceded by an incredible series (Feb 19-20) where Phil Sykes scored hat tricks on both nights at the old WSB.  Those two wins clinched the WCHA Regular season title.   Very raucous atmosphere ... followed by mausoleum atmosphere three weeks later.

But hey the season ended well,  5-2 over Wisconsin for national title #4.

Absolutely incredible talent levels on Wisconsin and North Dakota.  Gonna say over half the guys who played those games went on to appear in the show.  

45 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Or the debacle against BC in Denver the season after. Silver lining is Jake Marto scoring a goal to break the shutout. $&@%ing Nathan Gerbe. :angry:

It sure was nice attending the Madison Square Garden game to see UND finally get over that streak of losing to BC. 

Comeback Classic in 98 at Old Ralph vs Gophs. Sunday afternoon game. Down 3-0 going into the 3rd, had never seen the Ralph that loud. 5 unanswered to win it. Jeff Panzer backhand one timer on a 2 on 1 was a highlight reel goal. Jay Panzer, Curtis Murphy, Jason Blake also scored.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Ok Mafia, I got one for you.  Attended the Friday game in Forks against Goldy Gofer in the late 90's and once again our Sioux were trailing by a couple going into the third period.  I remember Wooger was coaching for Minny because between the 2nd and 3rd period me and two other guys switched seats so we could sit right behind the Gofer bench.  As usual, UND made a big push in the third and tied the game.  The old Ralph was rocking so Woog calls his timeout.  It is complete bedlam as the Gofers huddle up and the two guys with me, who shall remain nameless (to protect the guilty), start getting on Woog.  By the end of the timeout, the entire Gofer bench is looking at us in the stands, including Woog.  I'm not sure he got to pass on any pearls of wisdom to his players as they were too busy watching the crazy UND fans harassing them and their coach.  "You're not in Red Wing anymore Johnny (Pohl)!" 

Of course the Sioux scored the next goal to win the game.  Good times!    

• Upvote 2

I had never been to a hockey game in my life, my girlfriend at the time, now wife, was a Grand Forks native. She finally talked me into going to a game, Sioux-Gophers in January of Oshie's final season. She somehow talked her uncle out of his season tickets for Saturdays game. The place was electric. I know we won, but I have no specific memory from the game besides realizing I was now a hockey fan. 

9 hours ago, ChadR said:

Comeback Classic in 98 at Old Ralph vs Gophs. Sunday afternoon game. Down 3-0 going into the 3rd, had never seen the Ralph that loud. 5 unanswered to win it. Jeff Panzer backhand one timer on a 2 on 1 was a highlight reel goal. Jay Panzer, Curtis Murphy, Jason Blake also scored.

This is the one for me too.  The 2nd and 3rd goals in quick succession were incredible.  I was sitting just inside the blue line on the glass, for Blake's 3rd goal.  He sneaked over to the boards on the blue line, received a long pass from our own blue line, and then cut inside and handcuffed the goalie with just an incredible wrister.  Have never been in a louder building for a sports event.  It was chaos.  

And as the game was winding down, Spehar, who was already hated, slipped and fell.  That precipitated an incredibly loud "Spehar, Spehar, Spehar, sucks sh*t" chant.  I had the Gopher telecast recorded, and the announcer simply said "and the fans are getting on Spehar" as you could hear the chant clear-as-day on the telecast.

• Upvote 2

One of my Favorite Regular Season Wins was at UMD in January of 1999.  Down by 1 and scoring 2 goals in the last 6 seconds for the win.  Winning on the Road is the Best and listens to the UMD fans around us thinking the game was over and the misery on their face after was wonderful. 

54 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Anyone have a Youtube or other internet link of the 2010 UND vs. Michigan frozen four game? Would love to watch in the background working for home.

Went to the game in-person. Have never watched or re-watched the game. 

Thanks!

2011*

February 15th, 1998.  A rare afternoon tilt with none other than the Minnesota Gophers.  down 3-0 with 10 minutes to go and the Sioux rallied to score 5 unanswered.  This was my freshman year.  Growing up in Grand Forks I had been to many games in the late 80's post Hrkac Circus days and early 90's.  Not a great tome for UND hockey.  But coming off a National Championship in 1997, the Ralph was back to rockin again.  This was my first Sioux/Gopher game in the student section, and boy did it no disappoint.  My head hurt for days from screaming after that one!! 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

Anyone have a Youtube or other internet link of the 2010 UND vs. Michigan frozen four game? Would love to watch in the background working for home.

Went to the game in-person. Have never watched or re-watched the game. 

Thanks!

2011. Why in the name of all that is holy would you want to watch that?

• Upvote 1