SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Sioux hockey memories

GeauxSioux

I have a story that I heard a long time ago and I am not even sure if it is true or who told me.  A certain fan used to sit behind the visitor bench and liked to aggravate opposing coaches and Herb Brooks was one of his favorite targets.  In an effort to get some retribution Brooks had light syrup poured on the fans seat, so when he came in and sat down he didn’t see it. Brooks turned around and had a good laugh.  

Hockey is the best sport.  The personalities, the action, the rivalries..    Sioux hockey is the greatest with the best fans in the world.     

1 hour ago, GeauxSioux said:

I have a story that I heard a long time ago and I am not even sure if it is true or who told me.  A certain fan used to sit behind the visitor bench and liked to aggravate opposing coaches and Herb Brooks was one of his favorite targets.  In an effort to get some retribution Brooks had light syrup poured on the fans seat, so when he came in and sat down he didn’t see it. Brooks turned around and had a good laugh.  

Hockey is the best sport.  The personalities, the action, the rivalries..    Sioux hockey is the greatest with the best fans in the world.     

Bruce Tellman sat behind the visitor bench (as I recall), and found ways to get into the head of visitors.   It wouldn't surprise me if that was who Brooks sought revenge upon.  

(I've heard a similar story to yours.)

• Upvote 2

Pete Bain is a life-saver!  I moved to the Twin Cities almost 30 years ago and it was not an easy thing to see Sioux hockey on the local media unless they were in town playing the Gophers.  Anyway, this guy (Mr Bain) comes on the SiouxSports site around 2005 and says he can hook you up for all the Sioux home games for the price of a dish and a receiver...something called FTA (Free to air) signal and all you needed was the proper equipment and be pointed at the correct satellite.  Long story short, I got the UND home games in the comfort of my own living room for about 10 years until the NCHC  came into existence.  Anyway, during the time I was getting the games, I met some interesting people while trying to upgrade my satellite system.  One gal who delivered a larger dish to me was a former UND student around the same time I was in Grand Forks.

She was telling me how her and her friends would throw Gofers onto the ice after goals...I asked her how the heck she got them into the arena since they searched everyone when they came in.  She said they would walk over to the Old Ralph on Thursday afternoons and tape dead gophers underneath the seats and then on Friday they would rush in to claim those seats.  Now thats dedication!!

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Bruce Tellman sat behind the visitor bench (as I recall), and found ways to get into the head of visitors.   It wouldn't surprise me if that was who Brooks sought revenge upon.  

(I've heard a similar story to yours.)

That is the man.  I have a friend whose parents had seats right across the visitor tunnel from Bruce.  It was comical watching him throw comments the whole game at the opposing team/coach.  Brooks wanted his revenge.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

That is the man.  I have a friend whose parents had seats right across the visitor tunnel from Bruce.  It was comical watching him throw comments the whole game at the opposing team/coach.  Brooks wanted his revenge.

Bruce was a great hockey fan!
A fan who knew how to throw the high horse power words at the opponent.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Pete Bain is a life-saver!  I moved to the Twin Cities almost 30 years ago and it was not an easy thing to see Sioux hockey on the local media unless they were in town playing the Gophers.  Anyway, this guy (Mr Bain) comes on the SiouxSports site around 2005 and says he can hook you up for all the Sioux home games for the price of a dish and a receiver...something called FTA (Free to air) signal and all you needed was the proper equipment and be pointed at the correct satellite.  Long story short, I got the UND home games in the comfort of my own living room for about 10 years until the NCHC  came into existence.  Anyway, during the time I was getting the games, I met some interesting people while trying to upgrade my satellite system.  One gal who delivered a larger dish to me was a former UND student around the same time I was in Grand Forks.

She was telling me how her and her friends would throw Gofers onto the ice after goals...I asked her how the heck she got them into the arena since they searched everyone when they came in.  She said they would walk over to the Old Ralph on Thursday afternoons and tape dead gophers underneath the seats and then on Friday they would rush in to claim those seats.  Now thats dedication!!

Some dead gophers were incredible musicians!  :whistling:

On 3/18/2020 at 11:56 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

February 15th, 1998.  A rare afternoon tilt with none other than the Minnesota Gophers.  down 3-0 with 10 minutes to go and the Sioux rallied to score 5 unanswered.  This was my freshman year.  Growing up in Grand Forks I had been to many games in the late 80's post Hrkac Circus days and early 90's.  Not a great tome for UND hockey.  But coming off a National Championship in 1997, the Ralph was back to rockin again.  This was my first Sioux/Gopher game in the student section, and boy did it no disappoint.  My head hurt for days from screaming after that one!! 

Dug through some old DVD's in my basement and what do you know...not the best quality but it was fun watching it again...

image.png.603a5efaf93c9ac6c0db070cac178173.png

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sodbuster said:

Any way you could put it on Youtube so the rest of us could enjoy it?

Maybe...I'm no expert YouTuber but I'm pretty sure I could upload it...I don't really want it on my channel mixed in with family videos etc.