SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Sioux hockey memories

GeauxSioux

3 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Halloween night, 1986, against Bucky Badger!  I'm somewhere in that mosh-pit of a student section...Tony Granato, Paul Ranheim, and Gary Shuchuk on the top line for Sconny; Mike Richter in the net.  It's the usual cast of characters for the Circus with the exception of goalie; Scott Brower (RIP) gets the start.  Enjoy!

Great commercials

Games at the old arena from 1982-86. We'd do buck pitchers on Friday, hit the cafeteria, load up on schnapps minis and anything else that fit into our pocket and walk from Walsh (first 2 years anyway) and get in line. They had a line that immediately dissolved to anarchy as soon as the doors opened and everyone made a mad dash to the door like it was the Friday after Thanksgiving when people go crazy for a cheap TVs at Walmart or today when lunatics are shopping for toilet paper.

So fun. 

Can NOT remember many of the games though the team was damn good then. Patrick, Jensen, Casey,  and I'm blanking on the D man who had a nice career for St Louis, Archie and I really liked watching Dean Dachyshyn even in the cafeteria as he always looked ready for a fight. Plus 2 lawyer colleagues, Bredahl and Howard.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, shep said:

Games at the old arena from 1982-86. We'd do buck pitchers on Friday, hit the cafeteria, load up on schnapps minis and anything else that fit into our pocket and walk from Walsh (first 2 years anyway) and get in line. They had a line that immediately dissolved to anarchy as soon as the doors opened and everyone made a mad dash to the door like it was the Friday after Thanksgiving when people go crazy for a cheap TVs at Walmart or today when lunatics are shopping for toilet paper.

So fun. 

Can NOT remember many of the games though the team was damn good then. Patrick, Jensen, Casey,  and I'm blanking on the D man who had a nice career for St Louis, Archie and I really liked watching Dean Dachyshyn even in the cafeteria as he always looked ready for a fight. Plus 2 lawyer colleagues, Bredahl and Howard.

Rick Zombo played for St Louis.   

A lot of future NHLers on the roster; after the 1980 Miracle on Ice, there was a fabulous cycle of NHL management realizing talent was playing in NCAA hockey and that helped draw talent to NCAA - especially WCHA with the biggest crowds and loudest buildings.   Gonna say almost half of any Sioux roster in those days went on to the NHL.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Halloween night, 1986, against Bucky Badger!  I'm somewhere in that mosh-pit of a student section...Tony Granato, Paul Ranheim, and Gary Shuchuk on the top line for Sconny; Mike Richter in the net.  It's the usual cast of characters for the Circus with the exception of goalie; Scott Brower (RIP) gets the start.  Enjoy!

Nice!

Brings back a lot of fond memories.   Came back to GF for that one, and went in costume as a blind ref, complete with dark sunglasses, red tipped cane and a seeing eye dog (stuffed dog, that is).  Raucous arena that never ever got quiet. 

Game notes:

*  UND backup goaltender was future NHL great Ed Belfour,  who couldn't crack the lineup in front of Scott Brower.  RIP, Scottie.

* Future NHL great Mike Richter got lit up that night. Oh yeah!

* UND defense was inexperienced, having lost Scott Sandelin and Brad Berry from the year before.

• Like 1

The Sioux played Minnesota on March 13-14, 1987 for the WCHA League title in Grand Forks...back then teams played a 2 game, total goals series.  I will try post game 1 today but here's one fond memory of the series...enjoy!

• Like 1

The top two teams in the WCHA are battling it out in Grand Forks for the league playoff title; North Dakota and Minnesota!  The Hrkac Circus with 'Steady' Eddie Belfour in net go up against Corey Millen, Peter Hankinson, Paul Broten, Scott Bloom and the rest of the Gofers.  John Blue in net for Minny.  Game 1 took place on Friday March 13, 1987.

https://youtu.be/_6WjYSVwc8o

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

The top two teams in the WCHA are battling it out in Grand Forks for the league playoff title; North Dakota and Minnesota!  The Hrkac Circus with 'Steady' Eddie Belfour in net go up against Corey Millen, Peter Hankinson, Paul Broten, Scott Bloom and the rest of the Gofers.  John Blue in net for Minny.  Game 1 took place on Friday March 13, 1987.

Ironically, this was the last year of the two-game total goal format. The next season (1988), the WCHA switched to the format the NCHC now uses (first round playoff series on campus, followed by a league tournament at a neutral site).

35 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not a Sioux memory, but a memory many of us will never forget. For those that were there, it was nothing like I have ever experienced before!!  And you can watch. All again on March 27th!!

FAA258FE-9610-4E01-BEE3-A3CE2DA0D372.jpeg

That was pure insanity.  After the Minnesota-Holy Cross game the Sioux fans were walking around The Ralph doing anti-Gopher cheers.  It was just nuts in the arena.

• Upvote 4

January 13, 1996.  North Dakota 7, Alaska Anchorage 6. OT.

I wish I had a box score.  Was sitting right behind Anchorage's goalie, and I think we're down 6-3 with about 5 minutes left in the third.  Sioux score 3 straight to tie it.  Ian Kallay wins it in overtime.

Sioux Gophers 1998 was incredible.  One of my favorite memories as well.  Thanks so much for that third period video!  Holy Cross Minnesota was outrageous too.  Intense energy for a non-North Dakota game!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Game 2 coming sometime tomorrow...then we are back on the 1997 team's run!

1987 WCHA League Championship, game 2.

UND goes for the sweep against Minny after winning Friday night's game 5-3.  This two game - total goal series took place in Grand Forks on March 13-14, 1987.  

NOTE:  WDAZ had some technical difficulties at the start of the game so from the 8:20 mark to about 10:15 you get just a blank screen with the Gofer and Sioux logo.  Sweeney references the problem once the picture returns.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

1987 WCHA League Championship, game 2.

UND goes for the sweep against Minny after winning Friday night's game 5-3.  This two game - total goal series took place in Grand Forks on March 13-14, 1987.  

NOTE:  WDAZ had some technical difficulties at the start of the game so from the 8:20 mark to about 10:15 you get just a blank screen with the Gofer and Sioux logo.  Sweeney references the problem once the picture returns.

Thank you so much for this! You are making a difficult time easier to deal with.

• Upvote 1