SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

These guys have high end tools, but they have a great deal of poise for being so young and playing a position that typically takes longer to master at this level.  In past years, even with good teams, our conservative break-out schemes have resulted in a fair amount of frustration.  This D squad is so calm back there and makes a lot of good choices.  And not always just chipping it up the wall to a winger who has someone all over him. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

How about goaltending? Scheel or Johnson? Who do you think is better? 

Scheel. 

Johnson put up some incredible stats (4 SHO in a row) and was instrumental during the championship run.  But I also remember him getting yanked during some head scratching performances like when he only saved 10 of 13 shots against Jan Brady; 8 of 11 against Colorado College; or 1 of 4 against Western Michigan during the same season.

18 hours ago, Godsmack said:

How about goaltending? Scheel or Johnson? Who do you think is better? 

Funny thing about that 2016 season was that Cam was the question mark.  With the makeup of the d core and the CBS line, if they hadn't made a deep run and faltered somewhere it likely would have been due to the goaltending and we all would have pointed at Zane leaving as the reason they didn't hang #8.

Instead, the first two shots of the season went in, and the rest is history! ;) 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Until Scheel wins an NCAA banner gotta go with Johnson.

It's tempting to just conclude that championship winners are better, but I don't think we can be that simplistic.   IMO, Archie Manning was a better QB than a bunch of those who won SBs. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, burd said:

It's tempting to just conclude that championship winners are better, but I don't think we can be that simplistic.   IMO, Archie Manning was a better QB than a bunch of those who won SBs. 

Agreed, my order lately goes Zane > Scheel > Cam(sunject to change), shot suppression of the 16 team was incredible 

• Upvote 1