SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

11 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Don't kid yourself though.....3 is our best dman.

Kierstad is having a great year, but I'm gonna take Sanderson. 

Crazy to think about an 18 year-old being the best defenseman on the No. 1/2 team in the country, but I just have nothing bad to say about the kid, ever.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iluvdebbies said:

Don't kid yourself though.....3 is our best dman.

I disagree. JBD is way better defensively, and as talented offensively, but doesn't take as many chances. I like Kierstad, but he's probably 3 or 4 in terms of his defense. Sanderson is the most talented, and will be a regular top pair defenseman in the NHL. JBD will be a top 4 defenseman in the NHL. 

10 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I have to go all the way back to my college days to recall the finest defenseman I've ever seen play for UND -- James Patrick.  Sanderson is the first defenseman I've seen at UND that reminds me of Patrick.

I'm surprised they even had hockey back then.

21 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I have to go all the way back to my college days to recall the finest defenseman I've ever seen play for UND -- James Patrick.  Sanderson is the first defenseman I've seen at UND that reminds me of Patrick.

The only other one since Patrick  I think came close as far as controlling the game was Roche.    Sanderson definitely has the same flow to his game as Patrick.

I got to school right after Patrick left, but I think Sanderson might be the best I have seen since about 1984, which floors me because we're talking about an 18-year old.  He erases opposing possessions so often and seemingly easily.  That said, I hope he decides to stick around for one more year to smooth out those remaining edges.

21 minutes ago, burd said:

Kierstad, JBD, Sanderson, Kleven, Bast, and Frisch?   That good a D corps will not come around very often.  For any college program.   

True.  I thought 2016's D was good.  This one is really good. 

30 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

Oh yeah, although I think the pucks may have been gutta percha.

Or maybe that was what the golf team used then?  I can't remember.  Long time ago.

Let's be honest.    You couldn't remember even when it was not a long time ago. 

14 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Sanderson and JBD best d pair since...?

Hmmm... Tucker and Duey, for sure.

Comparing 2016 to 2021 in terms of college players, I think 2016 wins out, but overall, I'd bet 2021 has more NHL games played. 

Elites: Tucker, LaDue, Stecher -- Sanderson, JBD, Kierstad

Solid in 2016, some became/will become studs: Gage, Wolanin -- Kleven, Frisch

5th/6th spot: Shaw, Thompson -- Bast/Moore/Rieger

This is close, and time will ultimately tell, but I think Moore is borderline better than Bast and could definitely be playing come tourney time. I'd take 2016 right now, but once all of them cycle through into the pros, I think this could end up being the best d-corps in UND history.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, burd said:

Kierstad, JBD, Sanderson, Kleven, Bast, and Frisch?   That good a D corps will not come around very often.  For any college program.   

Five of the six could play in the NHL.  Love Bast to death, but probably a minor league career.  (Would love to eat crow on that prediction).  

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Five of the six could play in the NHL.  Love Bast to death, but probably a minor league career.  (Would love to eat crow on that prediction).  

Kierstad, JBD, Sanderson, Kleven, Frisch, Moore are all going to play in the NHL, I'd say. The first five will play for a very long time, too.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Their composure deep on our own zone is off the charts. They make occasional mistakes, but this Hawks team is very difficult to forecheck.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Kierstad is having a great year, but I'm gonna take Sanderson. 

Crazy to think about an 18 year-old being the best defenseman on the No. 1/2 team in the country, but I just have nothing bad to say about the kid, ever.

I think that Kiersted has been really solid this year. I also really like Kleven. 

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Young man has been a beast. I expected him to be much less of a skater than he actually is. Kid can flat out play.

Yeah, and his size is definitely a factor out there.  He plays big and doesn't take any crap out there.

• Like 1